The Student Room Group

Holidays - would you rather?

Spend £2k every year on a holiday abroad for 5 consecutive years, or spend £10k on an absolute cracker of a holiday once every 5?

I’d definitely spend on the holiday every 5years, and with career progression it could become more frequent with constant saving?

What am I even saying, I’m not even at uni yet :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I come from a family of 6, so I guess my idea of prices for a holiday is a little warped..
£4000 every 2 years then? If just you and a partner, that could be an epic holiday halfway across the globe!
i could not do just 1 holiday abroad a year, let alone one every 5 years
Original post by Mikolaj1109
i could not do just 1 holiday abroad a year, let alone one every 5 years

Several in the year? To what sort of places?
@WhatIsLife1
well right now we go back to poland a couple times a year as that’s where my family is from.

but then every february half term is the ski holiday.

and in the summer we usually do two weeks in europe in a villa + some time in poland, but evrry couple of years we do a huge trip like a usa roadtrip.

then i generally go on scool trips a lot like this sumemr i went to India and had a week in Germany.
@WhatIsLife1
well right now we go back to poland a couple times a year as that’s where my family is from.

and in the summer we usually do two weeks in europe in a villa + some time in poland, but evrry couple of years we do a huge trip like a usa roadtrip.

then i generally go on scool trips a lot like this sumemr i went to India and had a week in Germany.

Someone's minted
Reply 7
Meh, I do my holidays on the cheap.
@WhatIsLife1

How many in the family? That’s some serious money every year!
£4k saved across 2 years is very doable I’d imagine! You could try a savings account dedicated entirely to holidays? I’ve saved £1.5k since June on about £80 disposable per week
Holidays are a waste of money. I could never justify spending 2 grand on a holiday - I'd be sitting there, only my sun lounger, admiring the view, sipping my drink, thinking "this is lovely... but if I bought [insert item costing 2 grand] it'd last me a lot longer and I probably wouldn't be bored of it after a week or two".
SAME!
Thought the first option was obvious
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Holidays are a waste of money. I could never justify spending 2 grand on a holiday - I'd be sitting there, only my sun lounger, admiring the view, sipping my drink, thinking "this is lovely... but if I bought [insert item costing 2 grand] it'd last me a lot longer and I probably wouldn't be bored of it after a week or two".

What about, say, a safari holiday in Africa somewhere. Is that more justifiable?
Reply 13
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

A life without holidays and the experiences they offer is a life not worth living.

For me at least :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
false

Original post by _Fergo
A life without holidays and the experiences they offer is a life not worth living.

For me at least :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree completely
Original post by WhatIsLife1
Spend £2k every year on a holiday abroad for 5 consecutive years, or spend £10k on an absolute cracker of a holiday once every 5?

I’d definitely spend on the holiday every 5years, and with career progression it could become more frequent with constant saving?

5 years is far too long! :lol:

I'd break it down even further, I would rather have multiple shorter breaks a year than save up for a long time.
Original post by jameswhughes
5 years is far too long! :lol:

I'd break it down even further, I would rather have multiple shorter breaks a year than save up for a long time.

Oh nice! Whereabouts would you go?
Reply 17

2k every year without a doubt.
Oh nice! Whereabouts would you go?

Depends how much money/time I wanted to spend on each particular occasion. I would start by looking for the cheapest flights, e.g you can fly to somewhere in continental Europe for £50 return (good for a weekend), USA east coast for £300 (maybe a week there) and the Far East for £500-600 (would want to stay there for longer).

I’d rather do many shorter trips instead of a big one every five years, so you won’t have to wait so long for a holiday.
Reply 19
That's £10,000 over 5 years towards a house deposit. I'd rather have a house than a holiday. I think I'll take the dog and the boyfriend to the lakes for a week. Pretty, not too hot, the dog's not in kennels, and it doesn't cost £2000.

Quick Reply

Latest