The Student Room Group

Slade Interview Question

I'm an international student applying to some art schools, there's an interview involved in Slade's application, but I will probably not be able to attend should I be shortlisted, therefore what does "you must ensure that your portfolio is at the Slade for the examiners to view again when they are making their final decisions" mean? Do I need to mail them a physical copy of my portfolio or would the one uploaded to Slideroom suffice?
PORTFOLIO INSPECTION
All applicants are required to submit one portfolio for inspection by the entrance examiners. Applicants may choose to submit a physical portfolio for inspection, or, upload a digital portfolio. Portfolio inspections will take place 28 January 1 February 2019.

PORTFOLIO HANDLING FEE
All applicants must pay a handling fee of £15 or US$20. The handling fee is not returnable.

Applicants must book a portfolio submission slot, or upload your portfolio to Slideroom by Thursday, 24 January 2019.

CONDITIONS
If portfolios are not sent in the specified format, they will not be viewed and your application will be rejected. Portfolios will not be viewed without payment of the Portfolio Handling Fee. While all reasonable care is taken of work submitted at all stages of the selection process, work is accepted only on condition that neither UCL, nor its agents, undertake any responsibility for any loss or damage that may be incurred. The handling fee is not returnable.

INTERVIEWS
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview at the Slade. If you are selected you will be notified by 8th February. Interviews will take place 18th February 20th February and 25th 26th February. You will be expected to bring further examples of your work, including larger pieces of work as well as your portfolio. Interview dates cannot be rearranged. If you are shortlisted but unable to attend, you must ensure that your portfolio is at the Slade for the examiners to view again when they are making their final decisions. Interviews cannot be conducted by telephone or Skype. Applicants who are not shortlisted at the Portfolio Inspection will be notified through UCAS that their application has been unsuccessful.

———-
From https://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/degrees/ba-bfa#7
———

Are you intending on attending the interview?

The FAQs explain that if you don’t attend then you have to ensure your portfolio is available for the interview dates - either physically or online.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you intending on attending the interview?

It's unlikely that I will be able to attend, so that's what I'm assuming for now. What I don't understand is exactly what "ensure your portfolio is available" means, since I will be uploading my portfolio online for the initial inspection, so there's not much to ensure on my part; and they are "expecting further examples of your work" for the interview without mentioning the possibility of uploading those as well, so I'm unsure what to do
Original post by NePb
It's unlikely that I will be able to attend, so that's what I'm assuming for now. What I don't understand is exactly what "ensure your portfolio is available" means, since I will be uploading my portfolio online for the initial inspection, so there's not much to ensure on my part; and they are "expecting further examples of your work" for the interview without mentioning the possibility of uploading those as well, so I'm unsure what to do

Have you tried uploading your portfolio yet?

Getting past the portfolio review stage first is important. Don’t worry about the interview until you get an invitation to interview.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Have you tried uploading your portfolio yet?

Getting past the portfolio review stage first is important. Don’t worry about the interview until you get an invitation to interview.

No I haven't, still finishing up my portfolio. Meanwhile I read that and don't know how importatnt the interview is, so I figured I should see if there's anything I can do short of attending.
Original post by NePb
No I haven't, still finishing up my portfolio. Meanwhile I read that and don't know how importatnt the interview is, so I figured I should see if there's anything I can do short of attending.

If you’re shortlisted for interview then the invitation will include a lot more information about how it works for international students who can’t attend.

Getting shortlisted is more important than worrying about “what if”s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending