The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say it's an attack on religion, but most certainly it is preventing Muslims and Jews from practicing their religion. They will have to buy their meat abroad, which in some extreme cases, could lead to severe food shortages.

I think this is one of the instances where the law of the country should not be prioritised over religion.

Unlike the ban on headscarves in France, I believe this goes a little too far. Animal rights protection is not the right justification for this. Shouldn't human rights (freely practicing religion) come first?
Original post by nstar12
Shouldn't human rights (freely practicing religion) come first?

So they can do what ever they like to animals in the name of religion?
Reply 3
Good. Barbaric practices that belong in medieval times and have no place in a civilized society. I eat meat, I'm an eating meat advocate. But factory farms and non-stun slaughter must stop.

Let's hope this country follows soon.
Conflicted on this
Reply 6
Original post by nstar12
I wouldn't say it's an attack on religion, but most certainly it is preventing Muslims and Jews from practicing their religion. They will have to buy their meat abroad, which in some extreme cases, could lead to severe food shortages.

I think this is one of the instances where the law of the country should not be prioritised over religion.

Unlike the ban on headscarves in France, I believe this goes a little too far. Animal rights protection is not the right justification for this. Shouldn't human rights (freely practicing religion) come first?

I wouldn't say animal cruelty is a human right.
The way halal and kosher meat is killed is not very humane but I could argue how could you humanely kill something that doesn't want to be killed?
Original post by Obolinda
The way halal and kosher meat is killed is not very humane but I could argue how could you humanely kill something that doesn't want to be killed?

Should we shoot people in war or torture them to death?
Reply 9
Original post by TommyDH
Good. Barbaric practices that belong in medieval times and have no place in a civilized society. I eat meat, I'm an eating meat advocate. But factory farms and non-stun slaughter must stop.

Let's hope this country follows soon.

Discussing how exactly animals should be killed to provide you meat sounds pretty cynical. If you want be honest - stop eating meat.
Original post by paul514
Should we shoot people in war or torture them to death?

Shooting them would be more "humane". Although I wouldn't call killing somebody "humane" anyway, being shot is still quite painful. The point of war however seems to justify killing ppl better than killing the animal just to eat it, for me personally.
Shooting them would be more "humane". Although I wouldn't call killing somebody "humane" anyway, being shot is still quite painful. The point of war however seems to justify killing ppl better than killing the animal just to eat it, for me personally.

The point I am making is that it is far more humane and there is a difference.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to not eat meat
Original post by paul514
The point I am making is that it is far more humane and there is a difference.

Anyone who disagrees is welcome to not eat meat

I know.

I don't and why isn't anybody who disagrees with you free to eat kosher and halal meat?
Original post by admonit
Discussing how exactly animals should be killed to provide you meat sounds pretty cynical. If you want be honest - stop eating meat.

I did, for 3 years, and I looked like an anorexic cancer patient by hte end of it. We're omnivores, we need meat. Just because I eat meat doesn't mean I think they should be in cages too small for them and die slowly being tortured with its throat slit while some guy with a beard does satanic chants at it. That's not harvesting food, that's being a barbaric sadist.

Animals out on pastures grazing living a happy life naturally and stunned before quick painless harvest does me just fine thanks and keeps my conscience clean.
(edited 5 years ago)
Excellent news :woo:
I know.

I don't and why isn't anybody who disagrees with you free to eat kosher and halal meat?

Exactly what I was gonna say

By stunning it before harvest would be a great start. And having the harvest quick and painless, rather than the long drawn out torture that primitive practices like halal/kosher demands.
(edited 5 years ago)
I know.

Because it should be banned for the treatment of animals.

Halal can be pre stunned in their religion
Reply 19

Only if the war itself is justified, and the vast majority in human history probably weren't just in any shape or form. Most wars are the result of a wealthy elite wanting to take the land and resources of another wealthy elite, and drafting in the poorest who will never even see much personal benefit from said land and resources to do the dirty work for them.

Killing animals for food on the other hand is just basic survival. Yeah I know, we can survive on vegetables just fine too, but meat is still the most consistent and reliable source of food we have, and for as long as that is the case it will remain a staple part of the human diet.

Slaughtering animals for food is one thing. There is no need to turn the act into an inhumane, ritual sacrifice just to sate the Bronze age superstitions of Jews and Muslims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending