The Student Room Group

I'm having group work troubles.

Okay so there is a particular unit I am doing that is LONG. I am working with my friend then two other guys.

Everything was going good at first, but now it's going downhill. So I went to a meeting today all by myself, so get feedback for our plan on our short film/doc. And the professor that gave us feedback said to do things that would be considered "extra" like I.e meeting up with the subject we have and talking to him. He lives an hour away from us and I totally understand that it is long- However it is just required for us to do unfortunately (I think it's quite long and extra too)

So I explained to the two guys exactly what we have to do and they had quite a strong negative reaction to it and said things like "fu#k all that extra sh!t" "we won't do all that sh!t" so they clearly aren't up for the travelling or doing extra work, they just want the bare minimum which will hardly get us a good grade. I have no idea what to do, as I am the group leader but it looks like I will have to work extra hard by myself and do all the work, as the other two seem like they can't be bothered. I understand that there is time and money put into this, but its what the professor told me to do but they responded to negatively and seem frustrated.

Is there anyone that has been in this situation and how did you handle it?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Okay so there is a particular unit I am doing that is LONG. I am working with my friend then two other guys.

Everything was going good at first, but now it's going downhill. So I went to a meeting today all by myself, so get feedback for our plan on our short film/doc. And the professor that gave us feedback said to do things that would be considered "extra" like I.e meeting up with the subject we have and talking to him. He lives an hour away from us and I totally understand that it is long- However it is just required for us to do unfortunately (I think it's quite long and extra too)

So I explained to the two guys exactly what we have to do and they had quite a strong negative reaction to it and said things like "fu#k all that extra sh!t" "we won't do all that sh!t" so they clearly aren't up for the travelling or doing extra work, they just want the bare minimum which will hardly get us a good grade. I have no idea what to do, as I am the group leader but it looks like I will have to work extra hard by myself and do all the work, as the other two seem like they can't be bothered. I understand that there is time and money put into this, but its what the professor told me to do but they responded to negatively and seem frustrated.

Is there anyone that has been in this situation and how did you handle it?

If reasoning with the group doesn’t work then speak your project supervisor or whomever it is you go to for these things. It’s about your grades so your best bet is for it get resolved one way or another.
explain to ur professor...
Reply 3
Thank you. It's really frustrating :frown: I explained to them in the nicest way possible but they were angry, werent willing to listen and had such a rude, negative reaction towards it.
I would prefer to handle it myself- I guess I will just have to get on with it and get the grade that I want.
Reply 4
I genuinely do not know what to say. I already explained to them what the professor wants us to do, but they don't want to do it and want to get the easiest way out. I understand their point of view though- it would cost a handful of money going back and fourth and also it will take up a lot of time and effort.

Oh and it was all through text.
(edited 5 years ago)
Group work sucks.
When I was at uni I ended up doing a whole group project on my own, and we then had to give a presentation on our findings. I passed a few questions over to them on purpose, which they'd have known if they'd had any involvement at all, and they didn't have a clue, so they were both failed while I got a good mark as I remember.
Reply 6
I think there is only one circumstance where we could get away with not having to travel far for filming, or we could discuss during Skype. But the professor really wants us to try and travel as much as we can, which will obviously cost us a fair amount of money so I understand what guys are talking about.
Reply 7
Okay, cool.
I raised the money issue with my professor and see what he will say. The work does and look very time consuming I must say so I understand their frustration. However they still seem to want to put in minimal work in so I think it's a mixture of the two

Thank you so much for your help
Okay, cool.
I raised the money issue with my professor and see what he will say. The work does and look very time consuming I must say so I understand their frustration. However they still seem to want to put in minimal work in so I think it's a mixture of the two

Thank you so much for your help

It's all well and good for a professor to request you do things, but they won't be the ones paying for it. If the cost/effort outweighs the benefit, ask what else can be done to get extra (if you still want to get extra). As for lazy group members, there isn't much you can do apart from things like putting credits at the end of your doc to show who did (or didn't) do which roles, and making sure that they get some questions thrown their way if you present it.
I think your professor has been a bit unreasonable here- traveling an hour each way is a lot, and some people do have other commitments that may make this difficult. If this will be expensive, then again he's putting you in a difficult situation. However, if the other guys were actively rude, this is not OK either- it's one thing to say "**** that ****" but another to be rude/aggressive towards you. If they are actually being aggressive then I think it's fine to raise the fact they had an extreme reaction towards you with the professor, and share that they made you feel uncomfortable- that's not ok at all and he should step in here.

If they weren't actually aggressive, I'd suggest sending a group email saying something along the lines of:

"[Professor] has suggested we do X/Y/Z. I know when I raised this with the group, some people weren't keen. Can I ask if it's the cost or time that's an issue and why, so that I can raise this with him?"

You may find one of them is in financial hardship or has caring responsibilities or can't do this for some other reason, in which case I think it's fine to go back to the professor and say "what you're asking isn't really reasonable, because X. What are some alternatives?"

Alternatively, could you find a way to make the work a fair split without everyone doing the same thing- if you did all the traveling, and they did all the editing (for example), would this work out as a roughly even time split? Do you think this could be a potential solution? Again, maybe suggest this via email and see what they say?

Try to keep things to your uni emails, so if things really do go tits up, you can easily forward stuff on to your professor.

I do agree with others that it's worth thinking about the cost/benefit- e.g. one day trip may make a big difference to your grade, but extra shorter trips may not be that worthwhile.
Reply 10
update: @SarcAndSpark @PhoenixFortune

I raised the money issue to the professor- he doesnt care.
Now he thinks my group isnt that good and shouldnt have picked this course.
He was like a student railway card is under 4 pounds each way to (the city we are going to) and think my group is making petty excuses.

I honestly do not know what to do.
Reply 11
Hmm, i think its because at this point, he feels i am doing all the work- especially i was the only one that went to the meeting.

The cost isnt a big of an issue. Time is obviously expected as we are third year students. I really want the doc to be the best it possibly can, so i guess it is worth it. It isnt worth it to them and they dont seem to want to care. They think its a waste of time and money.
update: @SarcAndSpark @PhoenixFortune @Acsel

I raised the money issue to the professor- he doesnt care.
Now he thinks my group isnt that good and shouldnt have picked this course.
He was like a student railway card is under 4 pounds each way to (the city we are going to) and think my group is making petty excuses.

I honestly do not know what to do.

It's pretty unprofessional of him to say that you shouldn't be on the course based on one issue. That may be true of those that can't be bothered, but you obviously are bothered if you consulted him about it.

Is it possible for you to go to see the person you need to see alone? Then at least you would get the credit and you can prove it. Do you know if your professor is going to give everyone in the group the same mark?
Reply 13
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It's pretty unprofessional of him to say that you shouldn't be on the course based on one issue. That may be true of those that can't be bothered, but you obviously are bothered if you consulted him about it.

Is it possible for you to go to see the person you need to see alone? Then at least you would get the credit and you can prove it. Do you know if your professor is going to give everyone in the group the same mark?

Sorry, I meant he said that my colleagues should change to a course that requires no film and travelling/commuting. He wasnt speaking to me- he told me im doing a great job so far but feels my group isnt doing anything

Its a requirement for everyone to see him, but if they dont want to then I guess my professor would only have the option to drop them marks.
Sorry, I meant he said that my colleagues should change to a course that requires no film and travelling/commuting. He wasnt speaking to me- he told me im doing a great job so far but feels my group isnt doing anything

Its a requirement for everyone to see him, but if they dont want to then I guess my professor would only have the option to drop them marks.

I see, so if they flat-out refuse to go, you can't take the initiative and go without them? At least your professor seems to understand that they are the ones not caring, so hopefully your group's respective marks will reflect this.
Reply 15
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I see, so if they flat-out refuse to go, you can't take the initiative and go without them? At least your professor seems to understand that they are the ones not caring, so hopefully your group's respective marks will reflect this.

I told my friend i am working with and she was like she wants me to do a group meeting and explain that our professor believes that this is complusory, and not an option. (I sent the email to her and not the group chat).

I cant really be bothered to convince them any further tbh. I really cannot. I know it sounds like a bad leader, but i have plenty of other things to do than to convince people to actually do the work. One guy clearly seemed to have an agressive attitude and said "Fu#k all that long sh!t and suggested we should do xyz, saying that we are doing this sh!t instead." the other guy agreed and said he is not up for it, i had nothing else to say really and did not reply from yesterday.

But from what i know from the meeting, its definately compulsory for us bare minimum to meet him before we film to get a better understanding with him. If i go on my own, and if the professor finds out he will probably get them in trouble and get them low marks
(edited 5 years ago)
I told my friend i am working with and she was like she wants me to do a group meeting and explain that our professor believes that this is complusory, and not an option. (I sent the email to her and not the group chat).

I cant really be bothered to convince them any further tbh. I really cannot. I know it sounds like a bad leader, but i have plenty of other things to do than to convince people to actually do the work. One guy clearly seemed to have an agressive attitude and said "Fu#k all that long sh!t and suggested we should do xyz, saying that we are doing this sh!t instead." the other guy agreed and said he is not up for it, i had nothing else to say really and did not reply from yesterday.

But from what i know from the meeting, its definately compulsory for us bare minimum to meet him before we film to get a better understanding with him. If i go on my own, and if the professor finds out he will probably get them in trouble and get them low marks

If they have stated that they can't be bothered, give them one more chance, making it clear what the possible consequences of not doing it might be -- you could do this in person, but it would be good to get what they say in writing, like over a group chat, to back yourself up in case they try to land you in it later. If they still refuse to go, they only have themselves to blame if they get in trouble and/or get low marks. It will look really bad to the professor if you (and perhaps your friend) are the only ones who go to see the person (mainly for the group members who don't go), but it's not your fault if they refuse. You're not their mother.
Did you choose the people in ur group?
Reply 18
Original post by nabilahhh
Did you choose the people in ur group?

Yes i picked my friend (a girl) and one of the guys in my group worked with me last year, asked if we could pair up with his friend aswell and I stupidly, agreed.
Yes i picked my friend (a girl) and one of the guys in my group worked with me last year, asked if we could pair up with his friend aswell and I stupidly, agreed.

Dang! Can you not call them up all together and then just do it over the phone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending