The Student Room Group

I want to be a lawyer... but

I have a few questions to ask. Your experience at doing law/specializing in a sector in law/etc is more than welcome.
-What advice would you give to an A level student that wants to be a lawyer specializing in this sector?
- Do you think it is a good idea to work in this sector?
- If I wanted a very good salary, would this mean I would need to graduate from a TOP university? (ie Oxford) because I've read on this site that you needed to in order to get a good place in a good law firm.
- What exactly would I need to do from now (I'm an A level student)
- Any more advice?
- University or apprenticeship - which one is better?
- Now for the more stupid questions some may say:
* What were/are your salary/prospects like?
*Would I get a good salary?
*Say I wanted to start my own law practice, any advice??

And again, please if you have ANY more advice OR personal experience you have PLEASE say it :smile:
Thank-you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
*bump* :smile:
Original post by yotsr123
I have a few questions to ask.
And again, please if you have ANY more advice OR personal experience you have PLEASE say it :smile:
Thank-you.

There's a thread on this forum at the mo from a newly qualified solicitor "Ask a NQ solicitor" so you could put your questions to them? I can't answer all your questions (I'm not a solicitor) but I can give you some general advice.

You should aim to work as hard as possible to achieve the highest A level grades you can (in 3 subjects) as law is extremely competitive and you need to give yourself the best chance of getting into a highly regarded Uni (not an apprenticeship). You don't need to go to Oxford, but you should apply to the best Unis you think you can realistically get offers from, based on your predicted grades.

You can do a Law degree or a non - law degree (if you're not sure about this career) followed by a postgraduate conversion course into Law. You don't mention what your predicted A level grades are, but they should be A/B for you to have a realistic chance of getting a Training Contract to become a solicitor (it is even more competitive to become a barrister).
Reply 3
no, i do. applying to unis this year, need to write my ps, work experience application etc etc so yes i do need this advice urgently dont tell me i don't.
Reply 4
only bumped it once, what are you talking about?
have you even got advice?
From what I know, if you don’t go to a top uni ie oxbrige or lse it’s s lot harder to find work in the top firms but it’s very dependent on person and work ethic ie you could go to Any uni and end up in a big firm on a 6 figure salary if you work hard and go the networking events held at uni
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
didn't know you were a fortune teller... no i wouldn't have. i just bump my threads once then leave it.. just decided to check tsr tonight and was happy i got a reply. but this isn't even the point of my thread so..
Being negative about someone being negative (several months ago) is probably gonna spread some negativity, as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending