The Student Room Group

Rejected from Medical school.

So my ucas track updated today and I got my first ever medical school rejection today. Very disappointing as it was slightly unexpected. I feel really disheartened. I only have 1 interview and its January. Also expecting another rejection from my slightly riskier choice. I initially tried to laugh off the rejection this morning but as the day has gone on, I feel sick to my stomach and can't get over it. I've kind of started to realise how much this whole thing really means to me.
What is the best way to deal with rejection? How do you guys deal with rejection?
I'm really sorry to hear you've been rejected, it does suck.

It might help to remind yourself that medicine is still a hugely competitive course, and being rejected isn't anything personal. Unis can't take everyone and they have to reject loads of really stellar applicants every year. For whatever reason, they thought you weren't a great fit for that university, but it doesn't mean your other choices will reject you as well.

Do remember that if you don't get the offer you want, there are lots of different options- e.g. taking a gap year, graduate entry- some med schools were even offering limited places via clearing this year.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be at this time, but if you really want it, then I'm sure you'll end up where you are meant to.

Good luck with your other applications.
In addition to advice given above, I'd say to allow yourself to feel disappointed. So many people think that when they have a huge disappointment, they need to show the world that they can quickly bounce back, pretend that it wasn't a big deal, and move on. That isn't what you should do for your own mental health however. Allow yourself to be upset, have a few cries, and just doing what you feel like doing (even if that means doing nothing at all). You'll rally faster if you give yourself time to process what's happened rather than bottling it up. This advice actually applies to any kind of negative experience tbh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
In addition to advice given above, I'd say to allow yourself to feel disappointed. So many people think that when they have a huge disappointment, they need to show the world that they can quickly bounce back, pretend that it wasn't a big deal, and move on. That isn't what you should do for your own mental health however. Allow yourself to be upset, have a few cries, and just doing what you feel like doing (even if that means doing nothing at all). You'll rally faster if you give yourself time to process what's happened rather than bottling it up. This advice actually applies to any kind of negative experience tbh.

Yes, all of this is totally true- be kind to yourself as well and maybe try to do something nice/fun to take your mind off of things.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm really sorry to hear you've been rejected, it does suck.

It might help to remind yourself that medicine is still a hugely competitive course, and being rejected isn't anything personal. Unis can't take everyone and they have to reject loads of really stellar applicants every year. For whatever reason, they thought you weren't a great fit for that university, but it doesn't mean your other choices will reject you as well.

Do remember that if you don't get the offer you want, there are lots of different options- e.g. taking a gap year, graduate entry- some med schools were even offering limited places via clearing this year.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be at this time, but if you really want it, then I'm sure you'll end up where you are meant to.

Good luck with your other applications.

Thank you so much for this, it honestly means a lot. It's really reassuring to hear that this isn't the end of the road. I can only treat this rejection as a learning curve and give my other remaining applications my all. Like you said what's meant to be will always be.
Reply 5
Honestly it happens a lot and really emotionally drains you. I applied to medicine in year 13 and got all my interviews and got rejected from all of them and I tried clearing too. I did a gap year to reapply and still didn't get in so now I'm doing Pharmacy.
Just have hope and be confident and allow yourself to have other options that you like so that it doesn't affect you too much emotionally because I couldn't imagine doing anything else and after all the rejections it really took a toll on me.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune

Wow, this is nothing but the truth. Since yesterday, I've pent up my emotions, laughed it off and tried to bounce back but I haven't healed. Matter of fact, I've only felt worse. I'm definitely going to heed your advice and allow myself to heal. Thank you so much for this great advice can't express how much it really means to me!:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bee264
Honestly it happens a lot and really emotionally drains you. I applied to medicine in year 13 and got all my interviews and got rejected from all of them and I tried clearing too. I did a gap year to reapply and still didn't get in so now I'm doing Pharmacy.
Just have hope and be confident and allow yourself to have other options that you like so that it doesn't affect you too much emotionally because I couldn't imagine doing anything else and after all the rejections it really took a toll on me.

I'm really sorry to hear this, can't imagine how you must have felt. I hope you have healed and Pharmacy is a great course nevertheless. If you still want to study medicine, I hope it all works out. Thanks for the advice, I'm going start exploring other options. I really do need to get rid of the mentality that studying medicine is the be all end all. Wish you the best of luck for the future!
Reply 8
Remember you just need ONE offer to get in! Wishing you the best
Original post by thxtmedic
Wow, this is nothing but the truth. Since yesterday, I've pent up my emotions, laughed it off and tried to bounce back but I haven't healed. Matter of fact, I've only felt worse. I'm definitely going to heed your advice and allow myself to heal. Thank you so much for this great advice can't express how much it really means to me!:smile:

You're very welcome. Once you've healed, you'll look on this time and learn loads from it, so everything happens for a reason. :h:
Don't worry, as everyone else has said, Medicine is a ridiculously competitive course. You still have 3 choices left.

If it makes you feel any better, I myself got 4 pre-interview rejections for Medicine when I first applied. I reapplied though and now I'm in my 4th year of Imperial, and interview for them too (and they were in fact one of the Med Schools that rejected me first time!). Whatever happens, it ends up working out.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 11
So my ucas track updated today and I got my first ever medical school rejection today. Very disappointing as it was slightly unexpected. I feel really disheartened. I only have 1 interview and its January. Also expecting another rejection from my slightly riskier choice. I initially tried to laugh off the rejection this morning but as the day has gone on, I feel sick to my stomach and can't get over it. I've kind of started to realise how much this whole thing really means to me.
What is the best way to deal with rejection? How do you guys deal with rejection?

You'll get over it. I'm a second year now, but it took 16 rejections for me to get to where I am now. I even got rejected by the med school that eventually took me before they changed their mind.

Just make sure to prepare as well as you can for your interview. If you get rejected, well, think of it as good practice for next time.
Thank you so much for this, it honestly means a lot. It's really reassuring to hear that this isn't the end of the road. I can only treat this rejection as a learning curve and give my other remaining applications my all. Like you said what's meant to be will always be.

I'm glad I could help and good luck with your other applications!
Rejections are always hard, especially if you’re rejected for something you really want. I’ve been in your situation 2 years ago. The first weeks/months were very hard to believe the rejection. Best is to set new goals for what to do the next year. If medicine is something you really want just try even harder next time, luck will fall your ways eventually.Speaking of myself, I’ve been rejected the first year after high school to a middle prestigious university. I’ve chosen to study biomedical technology for the upcoming year to enlarge my knowledge and experience. The year after that I applied to a more prestigious university, and was accepted.Moral: Give your loss some time, but start seeking for new ways to improve yourself quickly. Improve your skills and results will follow.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dx31
Remember you just need ONE offer to get in! Wishing you the best

Thank you!! One offer is honestly all I want.
Reply 15
Original post by usycool1
Don't worry, as everyone else has said, Medicine is a ridiculously competitive course. You still have 3 choices left.

If it makes you feel any better, I myself got 4 pre-interview rejections for Medicine when I first applied. I reapplied though and now I'm in my 4th year of Imperial, and interview for them too (and they were in fact one of the Med Schools that rejected me first time!). Whatever happens, it ends up working out.

Good luck! :smile:

Ahh, this is so inspiring, I'm glad you never gave up! Success stories like yours is what motivates me to not give up. Going to do my best to make the most of my 3 remaining choices. Thank you! Best of luck with your medical career.
Reply 16
Original post by wl1
You'll get over it. I'm a second year now, but it took 16 rejections for me to get to where I am now. I even got rejected by the med school that eventually took me before they changed their mind.

Just make sure to prepare as well as you can for your interview. If you get rejected, well, think of it as good practice for next time.

16? wow and here I am crying about 1 lmao. Your determination is admirable. I'm honestly glad you made it to medical school.I'll be doing my best to prepare for my interview because right now its the only thing standing between me and an offer:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by DrBibber
Rejections are always hard, especially if you’re rejected for something you really want. I’ve been in your situation 2 years ago. The first weeks/months were very hard to believe the rejection. Best is to set new goals for what to do the next year. If medicine is something you really want just try even harder next time, luck will fall your ways eventually.Speaking of myself, I’ve been rejected the first year after high school to a middle prestigious university. I’ve chosen to study biomedical technology for the upcoming year to enlarge my knowledge and experience. The year after that I applied to a more prestigious university, and was accepted.Moral: Give your loss some time, but start seeking for new ways to improve yourself quickly. Improve your skills and results will follow.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for all the advice! I'm glad it all worked for you in the end! What's coming is always better than what has gone and you're a prime example.

Latest

Trending

Trending