The Student Room Group

Who is sad to see abortion on demand legal in Ireland

As of 1 January 2009 Abortion is permitted during the first twelve weeks of pregnancy, and later in cases where the pregnant woman's life or health is at risk, or in the cases of a fatal foetal abnormality. Abortion services commenced on 1 January 2019 following its legalisation by the aforementioned Act, which became law on 20 December 2018. This law followed a constitutional amendment approved by a referendum in May 2018, I am from limerick and I voted no, I think this very sad because it will take away the right to life of the unborn, most abortions in UK over 90% are carried out when the Baby is healthy and Mother life not at Risk, I understand in cases of rape and foetal abnormality it being allowed but these are only small cases and it will just lead to Women killing healthy unborn foetus, I am very anti abortion I believe life starts from conception abortion is not the only solution adoption is a option , I am aware In some cases, women were travelling to Britain for one but how many were in the crisis pregnancy situation's anyone from Ireland on TSR agree or disagree comments welcome
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How many of your children have you given up for adoption?

How many children in care do you foster?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
How many of your children have you given up for adoption?

How many children in care do you foster?

None i mean it is a option for women who do not want a child when pregnant like in rape
Say all you want, if you were a young woman who was pregnant at a time where she is in no place to raise a child you would abort.
My mother was very upset about the outcome of the Irish abortion referendum, her parents were ultra traditionalist catholics and she has always opposed abortion under all circumstances.
Don't take the outcome personally, you voted in accordance with your conscience and that is all anyone can be expected to do.
Whatever position anyone takes on abortion it's important to remember that it is never possible to stop all abortion, it is only possible to stop legal or free abortion.
Many people vote to legalise abortion to try to stop women dying during or after illegal backstreet abortions.

The situation in the UK except northern ireland is very different to that of the irish republic.
UK abortion laws are amongst the most liberal in the world; available on demand until 24 weeks and provided free of charge to all British citizens by the NHS.
In the UK people have become so casual when it comes to abortion that they often take a excessively complacent approach as regards keeping their eyes open for side effects/complications, taking excessive risks without considering their own personal liability and even mistakenly believing that abortion is a type of contraception.
Reply 5
you can't legislate morality in every instance. there's a threshold where people will do what they want to do, regardless of what the law says. if we made adultery illegal tomorrow, you think we could stop it?

Irish women were having abortions; they just weren't having them through Irish healthcare. hence the law wasn't working. if pro-lifers really care about preventing abortion -- and not just punishing the woman who has it -- then you need to come up with other solutions, like education/access to birth control and programs that help women during pregnancy and then when she has the baby. but tbh i'm not convinced pro-lifers actually care about the life of the child or the life of the mother. they just care that 'abortion doesn't happen'. that doesn't help. quite frankly it's self indulgent to care more about your position than to care if anything becomes of it. (btw this isn't me judging you; we all do it, even me.)
Original post by Lena Franks
As of 1 January 2009 Abortion is permitted during the first twelve weeks of pregnancy, and later in cases where the pregnant woman's life or health is at risk, or in the cases of a fatal foetal abnormality. Abortion services commenced on 1 January 2019 following its legalisation by the aforementioned Act, which became law on 20 December 2018. This law followed a constitutional amendment approved by a referendum in May 2018, I am from limerick and I voted no, I think this very sad because it will take away the right to life of the unborn, most abortions in UK over 90% are carried out when the Baby is healthy and Mother life not at Risk, I understand in cases of rape and foetal abnormality it being allowed but these are only small cases and it will just lead to Women killing healthy unborn foetus, I am very anti abortion I believe life starts from conception abortion is not the only solution adoption is a option , I am aware In some cases, women were travelling to Britain for one but how many were in the crisis pregnancy situation's anyone from Ireland on TSR agree or disagree comments welcome

I am pleased about this. When I was a teen back in the 60’s, I spent some time in the Magdalen Laundries in Ireland.
The majority of the girls ha become pregnant as a result of familial incest, fathers, brothers, uncles. Most were so ignorant and had no idea of how they had become pregnant. There were no choices open to them. They could not return to their families with their babies and so were put up for adoption, spirited out of Ireland and sold to American families who registered the babies in their names so that they couldn’t be traced.
I still have nightmares of girls screaming when they came to take their babies.
Had they had a choice in their unwanted pregnancies, their lives would have been very different.
Yes, it’s time Ireland was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
I am pleased about this. When I was a teen back in the 60’s, I spent some time in the Magdalen Laundries in Ireland.
The majority of the girls ha become pregnant as a result of familial incest, fathers, brothers, uncles. Most were so ignorant and had no idea of how they had become pregnant. There were no choices open to them. They could not return to their families with their babies and so were put up for adoption, spirited out of Ireland and sold to American families who registered the babies in their names so that they couldn’t be traced.
I still have nightmares of girls screaming when they came to take their babies.
Had they had a choice in their unwanted pregnancies, their lives would have been very different.
Yes, it’s time Ireland was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Agreed. In my opinion the catholic church has had too much influence in the state. People were having these abortions anyway, all that the referendum has done is ensure that these are accessable at home which is safer.

The reality is, it is each individuals own choice. People don't have an abortion willy nilly, I'd imagine it's a very traumatic decision and one that isn't taken likely. Adoption isn't always the best option and tbh it wouldn't be easy. Then you only have to look at Ireland's history of kids in the care of the state...
Original post by Justmac
Agreed. In my opinion the catholic church has had too much influence in the state. People were having these abortions anyway, all that the referendum has done is ensure that these are accessable at home which is safer.

The reality is, it is each individuals own choice. People don't have an abortion willy nilly, I'd imagine it's a very traumatic decision and one that isn't taken likely. Adoption isn't always the best option and tbh it wouldn't be easy. Then you only have to look at Ireland's history of kids in the care of the state...

When I was sent to the Magdalens, I had no idea why I was going there. I had been sent there straight from the care of the RC Church so had not had experience of the outside world. When I think back on it now, I am relieved that I lost my baby to miscarriage and did not have to go through what those young women went through and had their babies taken. None of them gave consent.
Church and State colluded in what went on at that time. There is no way the Church, powerful as it was, could have done what they did without the collusion of the State.
My parents were Irish and I was born in Ireland. My mother was 14 when she was married to a man decades her senior. It was not uncommon in rural Ireland at the time. I am one of 16 children. She was illiterate, ignorant. We were all taken into care. She had been abandoned by her husband and couldn’t cope. She was a product of Ireland’s archaic laws and as her children, we inherited that Iliteracy and ignorance in the care system.
They are not, and never will be forgiven.
Original post by Seamus123
My parents were Irish and I was born in Ireland. My mother was 14 when she was married to a man decades her senior. It was not uncommon in rural Ireland at the time. I am one of 16 children. She was illiterate, ignorant. We were all taken into care. She had been abandoned by her husband and couldn’t cope. She was a product of Ireland’s archaic laws and as her children, we inherited that Iliteracy and ignorance in the care system.
They are not, and never will be forgiven.

Jeez Seamus, it is quite a life you have led. You should be writing an autobiography. You have an amazing backstory.
Original post by Lena Franks

Abortion is always an emotive subject and I don't think any woman goes into it lightly. They have been happening since time began and it is surely better that a woman doesn't have to go to another country. You may not agree with abortion and I certainly don't. But one should not judge anyone until you have walked in their shoes
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Say all you want, if you were a young woman who was pregnant at a time where she is in no place to raise a child you would abort.

If you have principles then you would be against it regardless of your personal situation. That's the whole idea of principles and how they are put to the test.
Original post by Jebedee
If you have principles then you would be against it regardless of your personal situation. That's the whole idea of principles and how they are put to the test.

Your principles are different to mine, there is no one correct principle.
I think it's fantastic. The fact is, if a woman wants an abortion, she will get one. Whether that means a backstreet abortion which are very dangerous, or having to travel to England and paying a lot of money, she will still get one. A lot of women also try to self-administer abortions using medication, coat hangers, all kinds of horrific methods.

This just means that the process that would happen anyway is being carried out safely, without as much stress to the woman.

I understand both sides of abortion debate, and it would make me very very sad to hear of anyone actually terminating a pregnancy, but at the end of the day accidents can happen to anyone, even if you've been safe, and it's just not morally right to force a woman to go through pregnancy, which can sometimes be a risk to life, or at least an uncomfortable nine months with a painful (physically and emotionally) ending. There are some women who simply cannot live or work normally during pregnancy, and while you can't predict that this will be the case in the first few weeks, it's still unfair for a woman to have to go through this when she desperately didn't want to. Unfortunately, men can only ever look at this from an outside perspective, and don't understand how terrifying it is to have a pregnancy scare!
I’m pleased to see abortion law liberalised in Ireland.

I’m also pleased to see Irish society throw off the shackles of the Catholic Church.
Abortion usually works out worse in the long run. If they're not aborted it's poverty, abuse, dangerous medical condition, not cared for properly etc... Women don't use abortions as contraception. Having an abortion is a huge decision. It's taken when it's often the best option for the mum and unborn child
Your principles are different to mine, there is no one correct principle.

Debatable. But regardless, trying to imply someone is only against it because they aren't in that situation themselves is quite ignorant of the concept of principles in the first place.
Original post by Jebedee
Debatable. But regardless, trying to imply someone is only against it because they aren't in that situation themselves is quite ignorant of the concept of principles in the first place.

It’s not debatable, people do have different principles, this OPs principle is that killing unborn babies is wrong under most circumstances, this person has never been in this scenario therefore cannot provide an unbiased judgment on this point.
It’s not debatable, people do have different principles, this OPs principle is that killing unborn babies is wrong under most circumstances, this person has never been in this scenario therefore cannot provide an unbiased judgment on this point.

No. The fact she hasn't been in this scenario is exactly why she is able to be unbiased.

If it happens to you then your judgement is understandbly clouded with emotion, which is no way to make any important decision.

Principle is that killing babies is wrong. Not killing babies is wrong unless it affects me. Personal feelings are irrelevant to principles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending