The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield uni - campus or city

Is Sheffield uni a campus or city university. I've read that it is a campus university but I've also read that it is more like a city university. Any help would be great
Original post by saamiyarc
Is Sheffield uni a campus or city university. I've read that it is a campus university but I've also read that it is more like a city university. Any help would be great

It's a bit of both. The university is based on a campus that's near the city centre https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.790595!/file/central-sheffield.gif

It's not like out of town campuses where you go through security gates to get onto campus and everything is self contained. But it's also not like some city universities where buildings are scattered throughout town.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It's a bit of both. The university is based on a campus that's near the city centre https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.790595!/file/central-sheffield.gif

It's not like out of town campuses where you go through security gates to get onto campus and everything is self contained. But it's also not like some city universities where buildings are scattered throughout town.

OK, that's lovely, thank you for your help!
Original post by PQ

is public transport used to get around the campus at all, or just to and from town?
Original post by pancakesbob7
is public transport used to get around the campus at all, or just to and from town?

Hi @pancakesbob7,

Our campus is highly walkable, with the majority of buildings close together. Usually, you can walk between your classes in different buildings in around 10 minutes or less. We do have some buildings a little bit further out from the main campus area (such as the Management School and Department of Psychology) but again you can still walk to these very easily.

In terms of accessing the city centre, I'd say you can walk to the main shopping areas (such as Fargate and The Moor) in 10-15 minutes from the Information Commons (roughly the centre of campus). However, there is an extensive public transport network in Sheffield, including our own University of Sheffield tram stop and buses regularly serving the university and student areas. Fares on buses in Sheffield are just £1 for students when you show your UCard, and are a great way to get quickly between places a little bit further away from each other.

Our student accommodation is housed across two main locations: City and Ranmoor/Endcliffe. The Ranmoor Student Village and Endcliffe Student village are in close proximity to each other, and around a 15 minute walk from campus. The majority of our City accommodation is on the edge of campus, within 5 minutes or less of university buildings.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield. You can also view our video tours created by our student vloggers on our YouTube channel, including a Tour of our main campus buildings and of the city of Sheffield.

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2019)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2020)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending