The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,
Thats kinda what im planning to do. I have applied for computer science this year and depending on my results Im going to decide whether to take a gap year and apply for medicine in Sept 2019 or to stay with Computer Science. I wanted to do either Comp Sci or medicine but hesistated due to duration of the medicine course and applied for Comp Scie, but now after having some Computer science experience , im not too interested in it. Also if my grades turn out to be good then i would probably apply for medicine. Do you guys think thats a good kinda plan? Does me applying for Comp Sci this year affect my application for medicine next year?
Original post by Abraham_21
Hi guys,
Thats kinda what im planning to do. I have applied for computer science this year and depending on my results Im going to decide whether to take a gap year and apply for medicine in Sept 2019 or to stay with Computer Science. I wanted to do either Comp Sci or medicine but hesistated due to duration of the medicine course and applied for Comp Scie, but now after having some Computer science experience , im not too interested in it. Also if my grades turn out to be good then i would probably apply for medicine. Do you guys think thats a good kinda plan? Does me applying for Comp Sci this year affect my application for medicine next year?

no it wont affect your application if you apply for comp sci first then medicine next cycle providing you dont actually start the comp sci course
but i think you are in the wrong forum, this is for graduate entry medicine
Oh right and thank you for your reply.
2020? 😮

Waiting to see when the 2021 thread will crop up.
I want to apply to Queen Mary’s in London, but
my GCSEs aren’t particularly amazing, solid 7s apart from a 6 in chemistry and a 5 in maths (I had a breakdown before, during, and after the exam) If i have a good UKCAT score, good predicted grades, and lots of work experience within medicine and biomedical science (working in labs etc) will I stand a chance of getting in? Anyone know what Queen’s looks for particular or what they view the most valuable?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Millie_Rose_
my GCSEs aren’t particularly amazing, solid 7s apart from a 6 in chemistry and a 5 in maths (I had a breakdown before, during, and after the exam) If i have a good UKCAT score, good predicted grades, and lots of work experience within medicine and biomedical science (working in labs etc) will I stand a chance of getting in? Anyone know what Queen’s looks for particular or what they view the most valuable?

They require at least a grade 6 in maths as a minimum requirement, so unfortunately you do not meet that.
Info is on their website
Original post by GANFYD
They require at least a grade 6 in maths as a minimum requirement, so unfortunately you do not meet that.
Info is on their website

:frown: And there is no way around it? For instance, if I prove my academic ability my a-levels, UKCAT, and have more than enough experience?

Yh with regards to your maths- your application would get rejected instantly because they reject applicants that do not meet the minimum entry requirements.
:frown: And there is no way around it? For instance, if I prove my academic ability my a-levels, UKCAT, and have more than enough experience?

You could resist that maths exam- obtain high predicted grades e.g A*A*A* as Queens uses tariffs for 50% and ukcat 50%
Reply 69

Minimum requirements are just that; the minimum they expect you to achieve, without it, they would not consider your application further.
g
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I'm probably going to apply to:

Oxford (BMAT)
Exeter (UKCAT)
Birmingham (UKCAT)
Imperial (BMAT)

//Also considering Bristol (UKCAT) instead of Imperial\\

So I'm planning to do both the BMAT and the UKCAT.

Do you think that will negatively impact my A-Level studies?

I'm planning to do the same since I'm applying for Imperial, UCL, King's and Queen Mary's. I'm going to do the majority of my revision and prep for them after my exams in May (I'm doing Scottish Highers) and during the summer holidays and I see no reason it should impact your A-Levels at all if you spend some time prepping during the holidays.
Hi, did anyone hear about how international medicine students might have to pay around twice the tuition for students starting in 2020? I'm really scared and was wondering when the final government decision would be out on that one.
Original post by seasoncolors
Hi, did anyone hear about how international medicine students might have to pay around twice the tuition for students starting in 2020? I'm really scared and was wondering when the final government decision would be out on that one.

Oh no!!! Is there a link to where you got this info from? Thanks
Original post by Chickenhead11
Oh no!!! Is there a link to where you got this info from? Thanks

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5551200#primary_content

Here you go!
Hi all!

Good luck to everyone applying for medicine for 2020 entry! Here are some resources you might find useful:

- Medical Work Experience
- Choosing a Medical School
- UKCAT
- BMAT
- Medical School Interview
- Personal Statement for Medicine

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Hi everyone, Just stumbled across a great summer school programme that I thought I would share.

The Sutton Trust have 5 Medicine summer schools (at a variety of different universities - KCL, bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff and St Andrews) in summer 2019. If you go to their website you can apply.
I never knew about these schemes when I applied and I think they are a great opportunity.

(Just to add: Im in no way affiliated with the sutton trust and this is not an AD, I just stumbled across the scheme and wanted to share it because I would have loved to have attended)

i was in a similar position to you last year except i needed a 6 in english. Your best chance is to sort out a maths resit with your sixth form ASAP. i waited too long but eventually done it in novemeber and got my 6 last month. Im in year 13 atm but i wish i had done it last year
I am a 2020 entry applicant. I am writing here to ask if it is possible for UCL to consider me for medicine.
GCSES: They were not that good- 4A*s (bio,chem,physics,maths), 3As (English Lang., Spanish, Modern Greek) and 2Bs (English Lit., Economics).
My AS Levels are doing well (I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Pure Maths) and I got AAAA in my first semester so I think I am fine.
Nots sure If I will continue with 3 or 4 A levels.
Up to now am I good for the requirements?
UCL take a holistic approach to assessing applicants. As long as you perform well enough in the BMAT and have a good personal statement hitting all the relevant criteria, I believe you should be in with a chance!!
Hi what do you need your GCSEs if you want to study medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending