The Student Room Group

GCSE further maths???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pikachupiggy
I’m currently a grade 7 in maths. In all honesty I just don’t want to feel like I’ve missed out, as I want to do A level maths and I feel like I won’t have that head start other people have. I don’t want to start A level maths this year and regret not taking it at GCSE. But I’m not sure if that reason outweighs the fact that this extra GCSE could disrupt all of my other subjects lol

Please DO NOT do Further Maths - I teach in a selective school and we don't teach it. I have helped a neighbour's daughter with it and I was not impressed by it at all.
I would recommend focusing on getting a 8/9 and that will put you in a god position for A level - there are topics in FMaths that aren't even in A level - what a wasted of time!
you know what mate, i suffered from the same situation, only in a different subject and i came to one question that i asked myself; Will it help me in the future? and yes it would have as it wouldve pushed my application to the employees top of the list.Also think of whther it is your passion or not; youll only succeed in life if you enjoy the ride.
Reply 22
you can definitely do it in 4 months...but whether you should is a different question. I did FM at A levels and not at IGCSE level (don't even remember it being an option) and I didn't have gaps in my knowledge when starting A level FM if that's what you're worried about.
Reply 23
My experience with Edexcel's further pure maths IGCSE:
I didn't do that well (got a C but I was happy with it), it was sort of intercalated with ordinary GCSE maths and I think on the whole 4 months is just about enough to do the entire course. Bear in mind there will be some places, such as vectors and quadratic functions, where it repeats the GCSE.
If you plan on taking A-level maths, it will set you up very nicely.
Original post by Sinnoh
My experience with Edexcel's further pure maths IGCSE:
I didn't do that well (got a C but I was happy with it), it was sort of intercalated with ordinary GCSE maths and I think on the whole 4 months is just about enough to do the entire course. Bear in mind there will be some places, such as vectors and quadratic functions, where it repeats the GCSE.
If you plan on taking A-level maths, it will set you up very nicely.

You haven't taken this particular GCSE so really can't comment on the content - the OP is on a grade 7 - getting an 8/9 is FAR more important.

Quick Reply

Latest