The Student Room Group

Would you consider being with someone who has opposing relgious beliefs?

This thread was inspired by another user, curious to see, personally, being an Atheist I can’t be in a relationship with someone who holds opposing beliefs unless we never bring it up, but it eventually comes up as does a lot of things.
I think I'd find it near impossible to be with someone with opposing religious beliefs long-term tbh. I think they'd find me a nightmare :biggrin:

:jebus:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think I'd find it near impossible to be with someone with opposing religious beliefs long-term tbh. I think they'd find me a nightmare :biggrin:

:jebus:
Depends how one defines "opposing" though. You and I are of opposing theologies, but share a core faith. We'd likely get on fairly well.

Would "opposing" mean that? Or different religions? Lack of religion?

Be pacific OP.
I'm atheist but was christened and raised in a Christian household.

I'd happily be with a Christian or the other denomination as I'm familiar with the religion and agree with some of the values.

If I'm being completely honest I wouldn't be with someone from the others. I simply haven't been raised in an environment which would allow me to understand it.

I wouldn't force my religious beliefs (or lack of) on my SO so I would expect the same back.
Same as you NamesBond. As long as it's personal I'm not bothered. I wouldn't allow any kids we would potentially have to be indoctrinated either.
Original post by Tootles
Depends how one defines "opposing" though. You and I are of opposing theologies, but share a core faith. We'd likely get on fairly well.

Be pacific OP.

You want the OP to be an Ocean? :tongue:
I'm agnostic. I could be with an atheist, I couldn't be with someone religious though, probably too innocent for me.
Having been with someone who had differing beliefs to mine (she was Muslim, I'm spiritual), it can be quite a challenge. For example, she used to say things like ''If we ever have kids, they're gonna grow up learning about Islam''. She didn't even consider my view of things. This was instantly a red flag. I don't think it's a good idea to indoctrinate your kid into a certain belief. Let them discover their own path in life instead of shoving it down their throats. Anyways I'm getting off topic.

I could see it working however if you're both respectful of each others beliefs and understand that without judgment or without trying to change them.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Having been with someone who had differing beliefs to mine (she was Muslim, I'm spiritual), it can be quite a challenge. For example, she used to say things like ''If we ever have kids, they're gonna grow up learning about Islam''. She didn't even consider my view of things. This was instantly a red flag. I don't think it's a good idea to indoctrinate your kid into a certain belief. Let them discover their own path in life instead of shoving it down their throats. Anyways I'm getting off topic.

I could see it working however if you're both respectful of each others beliefs and understand that without judgment or without trying to change them.

Yeh no that’s a solid point, when it comes to raising kids the likelihood is that Theists will want their kids to be brought up with their faith, I wouldn’t even brush on religions with my kids until they were at an age where they can make a decision with clear judgment.
Reply 9
Atheist, raised as an indifferent Christian. Mild religious affiliation (someone who says 'I'm this religion' but never actually does anything religious) would be OK but anything more than that would create too many problems. Lifestyle, marriage, worry about potential kids being brainwashed, social stuff... wouldn't work.
Original post by Andrew97
You want the OP to be an Ocean? :tongue:
I said that on purpose :rolleyes:

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I'm agnostic. I could be with an atheist, I couldn't be with someone religious though, probably too innocent for me.
That's all you know.
Original post by Neilos
Atheist, raised as an indifferent Christian. Mild religious affiliation (someone who says 'I'm this religion' but never actually does anything religious) would be OK but anything more than that would create too many problems. Lifestyle, marriage, worry about potential kids being brainwashed, social stuff... wouldn't work.

Agreed
Original post by Tootles

Be pacific OP.

I took opposing to mean (militant) atheist. But - your gender aside being incompatible with my sexuality aside - we'd clash a lot :tongue:
Original post by TheNamesBond.
This thread was inspired by another user, curious to see, personally, being an Atheist I can’t be in a relationship with someone who holds opposing beliefs unless we never bring it up, but it eventually comes up as does a lot of things.

I'm an atheist and am in a relationship with a "religious" person. It works because he isn't very religious at all, he believes in God but that's about it. He doesn't follow his religion or anything which means it isn't an issue for us.
I’m a Christian and honestly I think it would be quite difficult. I couldn’t ever see myself dating someone who’s a staunch Muslim or Hindu, there would be too many clashes there. I might consider dating an agnostic person or an atheist, as long as we were respectful of each other’s views but I still don’t think that would be easy. I’d prefer a partner who’s also in some form of Christian denomination. But even then, our views would need to align, I’m more liberal than traditional.
surely if you both respect each others beliefs it should be ok
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I took opposing to mean (militant) atheist. But - your gender aside being incompatible with my sexuality aside - we'd clash a lot :tongue:
To me, opposing would be militant atheist or Muslim.

And don't worry, I'm not asking you out :wink:
Reply 17
I'm not sure what 'opposing' would be in my case. Maybe extreme views pertaining to any religion. I couldn't be arsed with that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
To me, opposing would be militant atheist or Muslim.

And don't worry, I'm not asking you out :wink:

Haha dw, I didn't think you were :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending