The Student Room Group

I’ve had depression for months and haven’t told anyone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
If you hear families of celebrities who committed suicide - especially in the past couple of years - you'll know that isn't always the case.
At the same time there are people who are high-functioning and low-functioning with depression and to say that anyone who is high-functioning isn't actually depressed, when it isn't necessarily so easy to tell, is just kinda not right...

Some people put on a 'brave' face or just try and act 'normal' for a number of reasons.
I'm not saying that OP definitely is depressed, but suggesting they're not because the people around them can't tell, doesn't instantly 'undiagnose' them.

Defiently agree with what you said. Just because my family can’t tell doesn’t mean I am not like I said I’ve always been a a quiet person so even when I am feeling really down I just like to be alone which isn’t something surprising to them, some days I seem completely fine, go out and do things but emotionally I’m not fine but can act as though I am fine, plus if I did tel my family how I truly feel I know they’ll really worry and I don’t want them to.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
What. Im saying people are ignorant and cant tell if you're depressed. I also don't give a **** about celebrities and their weird lives and even weirder deaths.

Well from what I got from what you said is that if no one can tell it means you’re probably not depressed maybe it’s how you worded it.
Well from what I got from what you said is that if no one can tell it means you’re probably not depressed maybe it’s how you worded it.

I honestly dont care now if you're going to be obtuse and argumentative. I was honestly taking up for you saying that despite people not realising, they probably won't sympathise even if they did know so try to be strong on your own. Other comments stated this as well. Meanwhile you are only obsessing over how I worded the first sentence. Good luck and good bye.
Sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed at the moment I would say open up to your friends and family but if your family isn’t being supportive that’s not very easy . Have you got anyone in the family who could support you or a friend that you could talk to about how you are feeling

Also get in contact with your gp and talk about it you may be offered medication but you don’t have to take it if you don’t want to the doctor can’t force your or anybody else so it’s your choice .the gp can point you in the right direction of mental health services

Samaritans are there 24/7 and it’s free to call them on 116 123 or text them (don’t know if that’s free probably not ) on *

07725 909090‬

Good luck :smile: xx
Original post by AlexL1987
Sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed at the moment I would say open up to your friends and family but if your family isn’t being supportive that’s not very easy . Have you got anyone in the family who could support you or a friend that you could talk to about how you are feeling

Also get in contact with your gp and talk about it you may be offered medication but you don’t have to take it if you don’t want to the doctor can’t force your or anybody else so it’s your choice .the gp can point you in the right direction of mental health services

Samaritans are there 24/7 and it’s free to call them on 116 123 or text them (don’t know if that’s free probably not ) on *

07725 909090‬

Good luck :smile: xx

Thank you so much!
Hi, do you know what's causing it? i was depressed in my first year of uni but got over it. some things id recommend:

make sure you go out at least for an hour everyday. staying in doing work all day is the most soul crushing thing
eat well, fruits, veggies, high protein
do physical activity, either join a gym or play sports
sleep 8 hrs daily
Original post by Ciel.
Telling people doesn't change a thing.

Yikes. Not a great outlook. Telling people can be the first step to getting help, and also making the people around you aware of how they can help. I guess it depends who’s around you though.
I’ve had depression for months now and haven’t told anyone.. no ones noticed as ive always been quiet and liked having “me” time but I know it’s getting worse, I just feel so down all the time and overthink literally everything and make it seems as though it’s the end of the world. I am very emotional but my family always say I’m emotionless as I don’t like to show or talk about my feelings. I have really bad anxiety and just see a very bleak future for myself.

Has a doctor told you that you have depression?
hahahaha
you were never depressed
you are just worthless
stop ignoring it

probably not, mostly stressed not depressed. why did you have to post on anon though :flip:
Original post by TheWalrus.
Has a doctor told you that you have depression?

You don’t need a doctor to tell you you’re depressed, they just go by what you’re feeling and if you look online it gives you symptoms which I basically meet all of them. I know I have depression by how I am feeling, I’m not just having an odd bad day.
hahahaha
you were never depressed
you are just worthless
stop ignoring it

Get a life
You don’t need a doctor to tell you you’re depressed, they just go by what you’re feeling and if you look online it gives you symptoms which I basically meet all of them. I know I have depression by how I am feeling, I’m not just having an odd bad day.

There is being depressed and suffering depression. If you really are suffering depression you need to see a doctor.
When I was at my worst (and I'm no means 100% better), I actually used to get quite angry at my family for not noticing anything was wrong. I was quiet, I stopped going out, I lost a lot of weight, I pulled away from all of my friends, I stopped dressing nicely (just trackies and hoodies) and even going out and buying nice clothes.. I was a completely different person. I just couldn't open a conversation with them about it though, so I desperately needed them to notice and they never did. That in itself has caused a huge gap between me and family which I just can't seem to get over at the moment. I really hope you find a way to make yourself feel better, I honestly do.
Pull yourself together!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
When I was at my worst (and I'm no means 100% better), I actually used to get quite angry at my family for not noticing anything was wrong. I was quiet, I stopped going out, I lost a lot of weight, I pulled away from all of my friends, I stopped dressing nicely (just trackies and hoodies) and even going out and buying nice clothes.. I was a completely different person. I just couldn't open a conversation with them about it though, so I desperately needed them to notice and they never did. That in itself has caused a huge gap between me and family which I just can't seem to get over at the moment. I really hope you find a way to make yourself feel better, I honestly do.

Thankyou, and I hope you feel better too, take care.
Original post by Akuma
Pull yourself together!

Wish it was that easy!
I have depression too.
I think what helps is different for everyone.
What helped me was pushing myself out of my comfort zone, as scary as that sounds. I would try my best to make friends no matter how painful I felt it was. I would push myself to get out of bed. I would push myself to go out even when I wasn't feeling it. If it worked out well, I would thank myself for doing it, I would enjoy whatever it was and I would feel a sense of achievement and be happy for the rest of the day. If it didn't work out well, I congratulated myself for trying anyway. I'd even sometimes buy little gifts for myself to congratulate myself for doing things e.g a new dress or give myself a reward e.g a bath, lazy night eating chocolate and watching films (sounds corny I know, but it works)
As I made a few close friends, I sort of eased up around them and felt more comfortable. I told my closest friend about my depression and she is now sensitive towards it. For example, she knows after a argument that I need to be left alone and don't like to contact anyone. Be careful who you tell though if you're like me and quite private.

Exercise also helped me a lot. I know thats a pretty generic thing to say but it does wonders for your mental health and your confidence. Try to excercise at least 3 times a week.

Take every day as it comes. It is going to be hard for you so don't expect to achieve what you want straight away. Baby steps. I used to reward myself simply just for getting out of bed. It takes time.

Oh and by the way, you ARE normal. Your mental illness doesn't define you. You will be surprised how many 'normal looking' confident teenagers are actually battling the same demons as you. Also, don't expect too much of other people and don't rely on them either. It sounds harsh but this is what got me hurt so I'm just letting you know. The only person who can empower themselves and make themselves happier is you
Don't think what your parents think about you. If you good then feel it and overcome from this issue. If you do overthink then tell me what you get? I hope so nothing. Overthinking is not good for you. People who think less live a healthy life. So don't think.
I’ve had depression for months now and haven’t told anyone.. no ones noticed as ive always been quiet and liked having “me” time but I know it’s getting worse, I just feel so down all the time and overthink literally everything and make it seems as though it’s the end of the world. I am very emotional but my family always say I’m emotionless as I don’t like to show or talk about my feelings. I have really bad anxiety and just see a very bleak future for myself.

I think you should see a doctor - that way they can professionally diagnose you and give you some advice. I have a friend who told me he wished he’d see a doctor about his depression because, even though he’s ok now, it took him a long time to become ok and knows he would have recovered so much quicker if he had seen someone about it. You could also have a look at this : https://beta.nhs.uk/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/ - You can see a therapist for free on the NHS without a GP referral.
I really hope you find the strength to do something about your depression xx
Original post by 10thomaa
I have depression too.
I think what helps is different for everyone.
What helped me was pushing myself out of my comfort zone, as scary as that sounds. I would try my best to make friends no matter how painful I felt it was. I would push myself to get out of bed. I would push myself to go out even when I wasn't feeling it. If it worked out well, I would thank myself for doing it, I would enjoy whatever it was and I would feel a sense of achievement and be happy for the rest of the day. If it didn't work out well, I congratulated myself for trying anyway. I'd even sometimes buy little gifts for myself to congratulate myself for doing things e.g a new dress or give myself a reward e.g a bath, lazy night eating chocolate and watching films (sounds corny I know, but it works)
As I made a few close friends, I sort of eased up around them and felt more comfortable. I told my closest friend about my depression and she is now sensitive towards it. For example, she knows after a argument that I need to be left alone and don't like to contact anyone. Be careful who you tell though if you're like me and quite private.

Exercise also helped me a lot. I know thats a pretty generic thing to say but it does wonders for your mental health and your confidence. Try to excercise at least 3 times a week.

Take every day as it comes. It is going to be hard for you so don't expect to achieve what you want straight away. Baby steps. I used to reward myself simply just for getting out of bed. It takes time.

Oh and by the way, you ARE normal. Your mental illness doesn't define you. You will be surprised how many 'normal looking' confident teenagers are actually battling the same demons as you. Also, don't expect too much of other people and don't rely on them either. It sounds harsh but this is what got me hurt so I'm just letting you know. The only person who can empower themselves and make themselves happier is you

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and say that, I appreciate it and will defiently try some of the things you have said

Quick Reply

Latest