The Student Room Group

Would you date a single mum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TommyDH
I am high functioning autistic amusingly enough, but I don't see what that has to do with asking a simple question? Not really following your logic either. If I asked people's reasons they wouldn't date a redhead that means I've had bad experiences with redheads?
That explains a lot. I have a brother who is verging on borderline autism.

He is neurotic on all sorts of things.
People's eating noises,
Getting his hands dirty, Dirt under his finger nails. Old car oil on his hands.
Peoples breathing noises when they have a semi-blocked nose.
Being late for a social appointment when he's been unavoidably delayed.

The sort of things that don't bother me one bit.

This microinterorgasmic trace DNA thing is just the sort of thing he'd get neurotic over too.

I love by brother to bits. I just wouldn't place him as a role model for anyone.
Original post by TommyDH
-No I haven't.

-No I didn't.

Asking people why they do or do not date someone isn't "denigrating" anyone. You're choosing to take offense where offense isn't even being offered to you. I've not said one bad thing about single mums or dads. I asked people's reasons they would or wouldn't date them.

If you feel like this is a personal attack on you then you have deeper issues that you need to deal with, rather than projecting onto others and trying to control other people's thoughts/opinions.

I don’t have any children, so no. You heavily implied (basically stated) that you feel morally superior to single mums.

Maybe you asked the question with another account, but there was a very similar question recently. I don’t believe in coincidences.
Reply 63
Original post by YaliaV
I don’t have any children, so no. You heavily implied (basically stated) that you feel morally superior to single mums.

Maybe you asked the question with another account, but there was a very similar question recently. I don’t believe in coincidences.

-No I didn't. Quote me where I stated I am morally superior. Infact, I've stated multiple times that morals and values are highly subjective. Not only that, I later conceded that my original assertion that the morals/values of single mums would be incompatible of mine maybe wrong.

I'm incompatible with an orthodox Jew. DO you think that means the orthodox Jews feel they are superior, or I feel orthodox Jews are inferior?

Why do you feel people having different subjectives morals & standards to you = superior/inferior and a "personal attack" anyway, rather than simply...... different? This says a lot more about you than it does about me. I merely asked a question, as I was curious about the reasons guys would say no because I didn't believe the notion that it was simply for 'no reason at all' or as simple and insulting as 'all men bad'.

-Also no I didn't.
Meh, date? sure. I'm 30's, if i was to knock back mum's, well, that's an awful lot of women :tongue:

Taking things further is a bit iffy, but that's me, only child/don't bond well with kids, it's going to come down to how committed i am to the mum at end of the day.

Don't really get this Microchimerism thing, if anything I feel stronger for being able to rise above the dross of my genetic instincts (We own the world, diverse as hell, worked out own genome ect) this 'desire to pass on your genes' stuff is old hat and a weakness.
If she's interesting and attractive, why not?
Reply 66
I've dated a single mum before. Would do again if I was single.
Original post by katf
I've dated a single mum before. Would do again if I was single.

That's great. I think it would be an interesting experience.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am now, thank you. Love the kid. And I'm disappointed in you, thought you were a real lad having been homeless.
Reply 69
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I am now, thank you. Love the kid. And I'm disappointed in you, thought you were a real lad having been homeless.

That's great!

And what do you mean? I literally just asked reasons people won't. I've never once said you shouldn't, or it's wrong to. I said they seemed nice girls (the ones I was watching/listening to) and didn't understand why people weren't dating them, as neither did they. Hence my post asking - out of curiosity. How little did I know that this was some heinous crime that makes me worse than Hitler himself! :colonhash: Sheesh.
Nah. Purely for the reason that I'm not interested in taking on someone else's kid, I don't even want to raise one of my own :lol: Judging someone just because they've had sex without a condom in the past is rather silly, we've all done stupid things in the past.
Original post by TommyDH
That's great!

And what do you mean? I literally just asked reasons people won't. I've never once said you shouldn't, or it's wrong to. I said they seemed nice girls (the ones I was watching/listening to) and didn't understand why people weren't dating them, as neither did they. Hence my post asking - out of curiosity. How little did I know that this was some heinous crime that makes me worse than Hitler himself! :colonhash: Sheesh.

we reading the same thread? You slaughtered single mums in your 1st post under your OP :laugh: i see what you're saying about values and all, if she was like a jeremy kyle guest kinda single mum, but i mean...it's just rich coming from you, i'd have thought you'd be more supportive of people on hard times..
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Nah. Purely for the reason that I'm not interested in taking on someone else's kid, I don't even want to raise one of my own :lol: Judging someone just because they've had sex without a condom in the past is rather silly, we've all done stupid things in the past.

you dont want em cos you're not a parental figure, but is it because you think low of em?
Reply 73
Original post by Bang Outta Order
we reading the same thread? You slaughtered single mums in your 1st post under your OP :laugh:

I really didn't. The only thing I said was we would be incompatible when it comes to morals and values, which I said multiple times are highly subjective (so that doesn't mean mine are good and theirs are bad, it just means.... different). Later I conceded my original assertions maybe wrong anyway.

i see what you're saying about values and all, if she was like a jeremy kyle guest kinda single mum, but i mean...it's just rich coming from you, i'd have thought you'd be more supportive of people on hard times..

I am supportive, I've already said I've nothing against them, I think they should find dates and love and should be happy. Life's too short to spend it alone. I've not insulted them or put them down in anyway.

I just asked a question. :s-smilie:
Original post by TommyDH
I really didn't. The only thing I said was we would be incompatible when it comes to morals and values, which I said multiple times are highly subjective (so that doesn't mean mine are good and theirs are bad, it just means.... different). Later I conceded my original assertions maybe wrong anyway.

I am supportive, I've already said I've nothing against them, I think they should find dates and love and should be happy. Life's too short to spend it alone. I've not insulted them or put them down in anyway.

I just asked a question. :s-smilie:

i think you're taking this too personally. i know you feel attacked bruh, but i literally just got here! dont take your anger out on me when i like you more than anyone does here?!
Reply 75
Original post by TommyDH
Would you? Why/why not?

Would not date a single dad, my man's attention needs to be focused on me. **** buddies, sure, why not, as long as he keeps the dirty brat far away from me.
I would if I was gay. My partner has a child from a previous marriage and it's never been a problem although I understand why some may not feel comfortable.
Original post by MrMusician95
Yes but as people have said, it depends. If she's in my age range so 20-30 and only one (max two kids) yes, I would. Any more is too many and if I find out the father wants to be involved and has been since birth and is not being allowed then I'm also leaving. That's a deal breaker for me.

Absolutely. Massive red flag.
Original post by TommyDH
Would you? Why/why not?

I’m a straight female, so I will answer whether I would date a single dad. The answer is that it depends. At this age I wouldn’t, I’m too young to be a stepmum. If I got a little older like 30+ I might, depending on the reason they are not together. Did they split up because they’re not compatible or the mum was in the wrong, or because the dad was abusive/a bad partner?
Reply 79
Have done before, might do again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending