The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone.... at all?
I thought about it and looked into it a little bit.

Cork and Dublin are both great cities. I'd espcially love to move to Cork. I've lived in Limerick before and I'm not in a hurry to go back.

Getting in is relatively easy, purely based on GAMSAT scores. The Cork course is quite traditional, not much integration of pre-clinical / clinical studies. If I remember rightly, of the courses in Dublin 1 is more integrated and 1 traditional.

Cost is the big issue (for me, at least). Fees are high and living expenses are not cheap (although Limerick is much cheaper than Cork or Dublin). There are various bank loans available (fees-only or fees and living expenses), but the one I looked at at least has a residency requirement that you have to have been resident in Ireland for a number of years before applying, even if you're a citizen. Also as it's a bank and not state loan, the repayments start as soon as you graduate and are not income-linked, and they're quite high. I don't think I could live with it, even if I found a loan I could get as a citizen with no recent residency.
Just applied but have no idea how to send certificates GAMSAT score etc (not sent automatically). Cost isn’t a massive issue I’d be self funding. I have Irish citizenship but yes wouldn’t bank on a loan (haha pun intended)
Original post by Antibiotics
Just applied but have no idea how to send certificates GAMSAT score etc (not sent automatically). Cost isn’t a massive issue I’d be self funding. I have Irish citizenship but yes wouldn’t bank on a loan (haha pun intended)

You might have to log back into ACER and check that you're applying to Irish universities. Most Irish students take the March sitting for Sept entry, so scores wouldn't be sent for a while. Not sure what the system is though.

Word of warning - I heard that you don't get degree / A-level certificates back after you send them to CAO. I don't know if you can take them in person, might be worth looking into.
does anyone know fees? also, how do i send degree transcript and GAMSAT results? CAO is SO difficult to navigate. Do I need to provide GCSE/A Levels even though not required? Also for fee purposes is someone from the UK considered as an EU student - the same as an irish citizen woudl be?
Reply 6
does anyone know fees? also, how do i send degree transcript and GAMSAT results? CAO is SO difficult to navigate. Do I need to provide GCSE/A Levels even though not required? Also for fee purposes is someone from the UK considered as an EU student - the same as an irish citizen woudl be?

Hi,

I have called the CAO and have the following info (you may want to call them yourself to make sure, though)
You need to post your original transcript. Although they will not automatically return it to you, if you ask them in an email after the application cycle has been completed (August), they will return it to you (or at least this is what I have been told). The GAMSAT results- you need to print them off from the GAMSAT website and just send that to the CAO.
You do not need to fill in any section other than your degree and personal info- you don't need to fill in the GCSE/A-level details, nor the mature applicants section.
Currently we are considered as EU applicants, but there may be change depending on how we leave the EU.
Original post by ArtScience
Hi,

I have called the CAO and have the following info (you may want to call them yourself to make sure, though)
You need to post your original transcript. Although they will not automatically return it to you, if you ask them in an email after the application cycle has been completed (August), they will return it to you (or at least this is what I have been told). The GAMSAT results- you need to print them off from the GAMSAT website and just send that to the CAO.
You do not need to fill in any section other than your degree and personal info- you don't need to fill in the GCSE/A-level details, nor the mature applicants section.
Currently we are considered as EU applicants, but there may be change depending on how we leave the EU.

Great, RCSI said it won’t change even if we do leave the EU in whatever way for our cycle. Thanks so much for your help! Do they need it within 10 days?

My degree transcript is only available online, I’ve printed it off along with the email from the uni that says this and says who to contact to verify it as authentic. Do you think this will suffice?

my gamsat is 60 so is that guaranteed entry? Are eu applicants considered the same as Irish citizens as I am actually both through foreign birth. Sorry, so many questions. I’m so confused haha!
Reply 8
Great, RCSI said it won’t change even if we do leave the EU in whatever way for our cycle. Thanks so much for your help! Do they need it within 10 days?

My degree transcript is only available online, I’ve printed it off along with the email from the uni that says this and says who to contact to verify it as authentic. Do you think this will suffice?

my gamsat is 60 so is that guaranteed entry? Are eu applicants considered the same as Irish citizens as I am actually both through foreign birth. Sorry, so many questions. I’m so confused haha!

They don’t need it within 10 days... they have a deadline beyond the application deadline sometime in March- can’t remember.

I would call them regarding your transcript- they want original ones. I graduated while the dinasaurs were still roaming Earth and I have a physical booklet with all the signatures, grades and notes, etc from the lecturers. I am very reluctant to part with it because if it gets lost it can never be replaced. So I asked if I could get an officially validated copy from my uni and they said no. So I’d check it with them.

Well done on your Gamsat! It does sound like you are guaranteed a space! Which uni are you putting down as your first choice?
I am also both a UK and an EU citizen separately and based on my discussions with the unis we are considered on the same terms as Irish students.
Did you apply to the UK at all?
Original post by ArtScience
They don’t need it within 10 days... they have a deadline beyond the application deadline sometime in March- can’t remember.

I would call them regarding your transcript- they want original ones. I graduated while the dinasaurs were still roaming Earth and I have a physical booklet with all the signatures, grades and notes, etc from the lecturers. I am very reluctant to part with it because if it gets lost it can never be replaced. So I asked if I could get an officially validated copy from my uni and they said no. So I’d check it with them.

Well done on your Gamsat! It does sound like you are guaranteed a space! Which uni are you putting down as your first choice?
I am also both a UK and an EU citizen separately and based on my discussions with the unis we are considered on the same terms as Irish students.
Did you apply to the UK at all?

Great! I put RCSI, but to be honest I just did it over my lunch break and put a random order down, I have no idea how they allocate the offers. I applied to the U.K. and have 4/4 interviews which is preferred for the reasons of fees, and transferability back to the U.K. (who knows what brexit will chuck up)

What about you?
Great! I put RCSI, but to be honest I just did it over my lunch break and put a random order down, I have no idea how they allocate the offers. I applied to the U.K. and have 4/4 interviews which is preferred for the reasons of fees, and transferability back to the U.K. (who knows what brexit will chuck up)

What about you?

Well done on getting 4/4! So enviable! You’re highly unlikely you would need a place in Ireland! Have you had any of your interviews yet?
Mine is a long story, but I didn’t apply to the UK.
The order of preference is important for Irish applications- unlike in the UK if one meets the required cut off, they get the offer only to the uni they put as their higher preference. So for instance if you put RCSI on top and you meet their cut off, you will not get any other offers.
I hadn’t looked/realised this was an option until @Antibiotics posted it in the GEM 2019 forum. I’m wondering about applying but struggling to locate the fees information for a student from England. Self-funding wouldn’t be a walk in the park but wouldn’t be impossible if it was my only way to get into medicine this year. I do have interviews but obviously still looking at getting my Plan B in order! It would probably have to be Dublin; as although expensive my partner could earn more and get a job easier there. I’m finding the website I’m on rather convoluted whilst trying to determine the minimum entry requirements and fees. I have GAMSAT and a 2:1 science degree. Any help would be fab!! Thanks 😊
Original post by carrie_b87
I hadn’t looked/realised this was an option until @Antibiotics posted it in the GEM 2019 forum. I’m wondering about applying but struggling to locate the fees information for a student from England. Self-funding wouldn’t be a walk in the park but wouldn’t be impossible if it was my only way to get into medicine this year. I do have interviews but obviously still looking at getting my Plan B in order! It would probably have to be Dublin; as although expensive my partner could earn more and get a job easier there. I’m finding the website I’m on rather convoluted whilst trying to determine the minimum entry requirements and fees. I have GAMSAT and a 2:1 science degree. Any help would be fab!! Thanks 😊

About 15k Euro’s a year is my understanding
About 15k Euro’s a year is my understanding

Thanks 😊 I may give them a call to get more clarification over a couple of bits, but it’s good to have an idea of how much I’d have to commit to.
Thanks 😊 I may give them a call to get more clarification over a couple of bits, but it’s good to have an idea of how much I’d have to commit to.

Please let me know when you do!
Please let me know when you do!

Will do @Antibiotics

I have just located a far more user friendly website than I was on earlier. Looks like all 1st year fees have to be paid up front so I will also gain clarification on that, as €16000 in one transaction makes my eyes water a little!! Suddenly studying in London doesn’t even seem as costly as I had initially thought!! Time to go and sleep on this one I think 😴
Will do @Antibiotics

I have just located a far more user friendly website than I was on earlier. Looks like all 1st year fees have to be paid up front so I will also gain clarification on that, as €16000 in one transaction makes my eyes water a little!! Suddenly studying in London doesn’t even seem as costly as I had initially thought!! Time to go and sleep on this one I think 😴

Thank you! Maybe as an Irish citizen we could get a bank loan? Or are you an Eu citizen from elsewhere? I haven’t looked into all of this very much.
Thank you! Maybe as an Irish citizen we could get a bank loan? Or are you an Eu citizen from elsewhere? I haven’t looked into all of this very much.

I’m a british citizen. It looks like they have an agreement with the Royal Bank of Ireland for loans. 6.4% apr up to €60000 divided over the 4years with repayments commencing immediately upon graduation. It didn’t look ideal solution!
I’m a british citizen. It looks like they have an agreement with the Royal Bank of Ireland for loans. 6.4% apr up to €60000 divided over the 4years with repayments commencing immediately upon graduation. It didn’t look ideal solution!

Any stipulations on residency or anything for that? You are a god send in the process as all the websites are trying their best to be as vague as possible
After some research - if you are offered a place at RCSI via CAO then you automatically qualify for the loan from BOI. That’s what I’ve read on a document from 2013

Latest