The Student Room Group

Do I bring my TV to University?

Hey, I am looking into what I will need to bring and on UCAS it says about bringing a TV. Mine is a medium size and out fit on a desk, I also have an amazon fire stick which means I won't need a tv license. What do you think I should do?

Having something playing helps me study and I also thought it might be quite a social thing. Say a movie night in my dorm and so on.

Scroll to see replies

I took a medium/small TV with me to uni, because I did a fair bit of gaming then. I'm not sure it was necessarily the best idea in terms of academics, but I see no reason not to take one if you have one and wish to.

If you have a laptop though, you could just take that and use that for watching stuff (even as groups, although it's not as good for that). If you want better viewing while using the laptop as the source of the media, and/or you aren't able to or would be less inclined to take the TV you have at home, you could get a cheap display to hook up to it which will probably be lighter and somewhat easier to transport than a TV (and cheaper to replace in case of damage/theft etc).

It's a reasonable social thing, but beware some people may have poorer boundaries in such matters...also some people might jsut be less interested in that compared to e.g. going out or something. For my part I used to hang out with a friend in his room (in a different flat) watching stuff (albeit on a monitor via his desktop he brought) in a similar vein and as a result of shared interests we ended up living in various shared houses together for the next ~5 years. So it's not a bad prospect :tongue:
Original post by T.m.c
Hey, I am looking into what I will need to bring and on UCAS it says about bringing a TV. Mine is a medium size and out fit on a desk, I also have an amazon fire stick which means I won't need a tv license. What do you think I should do?

Having something playing helps me study and I also thought it might be quite a social thing. Say a movie night in my dorm and so on.

You might as well take it with you, then if you find you don't need it, you can take it home at Christmas.

If it has a good resolution then it can be useful as an external monitor for your laptop, which is nice as extra space for videos/work/anything really.
I took mine the second year I spent in halls. Made it feel so much more like a home.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I took a medium/small TV with me to uni, because I did a fair bit of gaming then. I'm not sure it was necessarily the best idea in terms of academics, but I see no reason not to take one if you have one and wish to.

If you have a laptop though, you could just take that and use that for watching stuff (even as groups, although it's not as good for that). If you want better viewing while using the laptop as the source of the media, and/or you aren't able to or would be less inclined to take the TV you have at home, you could get a cheap display to hook up to it which will probably be lighter and somewhat easier to transport than a TV (and cheaper to replace in case of damage/theft etc).

It's a reasonable social thing, but beware some people may have poorer boundaries in such matters...also some people might jsut be less interested in that compared to e.g. going out or something. For my part I used to hang out with a friend in his room (in a different flat) watching stuff (albeit on a monitor via his desktop he brought) in a similar vein and as a result of shared interests we ended up living in various shared houses together for the next ~5 years. So it's not a bad prospect :tongue:

I feel like I want too as it would be nice to have however I keep hearing different opinions. 1. I dont want it stolen 2. I would have to ship it over 3. However it could be good bonding 4. It would make my room more like home 5. I need to ship it over anyway. So, I am very uncertain on what to do, do you think it is worth it?
Reply 5
Original post by sinfonietta
I took mine the second year I spent in halls. Made it feel so much more like a home.

That is what I am thinking, it would make it homely. It would be my first year and I will also be moving country to go to this University so it would be part of my old room. In addition to this I thought it would be good for bonding however I am scared it might get stolen somehow.. even though I am not sure how that would happen as the accomadation has 24hr security and obviously you would lock your room. Did you find that you used your TV?
Original post by T.m.c
I feel like I want too as it would be nice to have however I keep hearing different opinions. 1. I dont want it stolen 2. I would have to ship it over 3. However it could be good bonding 4. It would make my room more like home 5. I need to ship it over anyway. So, I am very uncertain on what to do, do you think it is worth it?

I don't think it being stolen is that likely unless you regularly leave your room unsecured or loan out your keys (or keycard, more likely; since most halls seem to have keycard access to rooms, and these autolock behind you usually, I think there is minimal chance it'll be stolen - unlike if you leave a laptop in the library unattended. Don't do that :tongue: ).

However shipping it over I can appreciate may be difficult and/or expensive. Plus (I'm assuming you are an international student) there is the issue of what to do with it when you go home for the breaks; some universities have storage over the summer period available, but this may be limited (or non-existent).

I think a simpler solution would be to bring a laptop/similar (unless you don't have one and only have your TV and amazon fire stick) and get a monitor display screen once you arrive in the UK. You should be able to get one fairly cheaply, and you can hook this up to your laptop and stream amazon (or netflix or whatever) on your laptop and hence the monitor, and you have essentially the same outcome. Obviously this raises the same storage/whatever issues out of term, but monitors tend to be lighter and easier to transport/store than TVs so still probably an easier option. Also if disaster strikes and it is stolen, a monitor is generally going to be easier and cheaper to replace. You could probably find one in a skip around your uni in all honesty...
Reply 7
I guess, however I have an amazon fire stick which I'm not sure if i can connect that to my laptop also If I am using the laptop for course work I wouldn't have the backgroud atmosphere which I like so i'm not sure.
Original post by T.m.c
That is what I am thinking, it would make it homely. It would be my first year and I will also be moving country to go to this University so it would be part of my old room. In addition to this I thought it would be good for bonding however I am scared it might get stolen somehow.. even though I am not sure how that would happen as the accomadation has 24hr security and obviously you would lock your room. Did you find that you used your TV?

I used mine near daily between Netflix and video games.
Reply 9
I don't think it being stolen is that likely unless you regularly leave your room unsecured or loan out your keys (or keycard, more likely; since most halls seem to have keycard access to rooms, and these autolock behind you usually, I think there is minimal chance it'll be stolen - unlike if you leave a laptop in the library unattended. Don't do that :tongue: ).

However shipping it over I can appreciate may be difficult and/or expensive. Plus (I'm assuming you are an international student) there is the issue of what to do with it when you go home for the breaks; some universities have storage over the summer period available, but this may be limited (or non-existent).

I think a simpler solution would be to bring a laptop/similar (unless you don't have one and only have your TV and amazon fire stick) and get a monitor display screen once you arrive in the UK. You should be able to get one fairly cheaply, and you can hook this up to your laptop and stream amazon (or netflix or whatever) on your laptop and hence the monitor, and you have essentially the same outcome. Obviously this raises the same storage/whatever issues out of term, but monitors tend to be lighter and easier to transport/store than TVs so still probably an easier option. Also if disaster strikes and it is stolen, a monitor is generally going to be easier and cheaper to replace. You could probably find one in a skip around your uni in all honesty...

This is the complicated part, I am not an international student however I moved away from England at a young age but all of my family is still there so storage wouldn't be a problem and I am moving back perminately. That was what I was thinking, as long as I am careful and don't give people access to my bedroom without me being there (I wouldn't dare) then It should be okay. Shipment wouldn't be the cheapest however I know someone who does it and who is a good friend so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. So, if I have the chance then should I? I feel like I want too as it would be part of my old room and other reasons. If it gets stolen would be a problem but I would need it after the dorms anyway so I am really in two hearts here about this. It isn't a big deal and I have lots of time but I am a pre planner. Thank you so much for your help by the way.
Reply 10
Original post by sinfonietta
I used mine near daily between Netflix and video games.

Okay, thank you
Original post by T.m.c
I guess, however I have an amazon fire stick which I'm not sure if i can connect that to my laptop also If I am using the laptop for course work I wouldn't have the backgroud atmosphere which I like so i'm not sure.

I assume the fire stick works by just acting as a dongle to connect to your amazon prime account, so you should be able to just login to amazon prime via the website and go from there.

However I appreciate the issues with needing to be working on stuff on your laptop separately; you could still manage this with a monitor if you set it up as a second display, but it's a little more involved than just plugging it in with an HDMI in that case (possibly not much, but I've never tried to arrange that).

There's not really a right or wrong answer; both options have upsides and downsides.
Reply 12
Original post by jameswhughes
You might as well take it with you, then if you find you don't need it, you can take it home at Christmas.

If it has a good resolution then it can be useful as an external monitor for your laptop, which is nice as extra space for videos/work/anything really.

That was what I was thinking.
Reply 13
I assume the fire stick works by just acting as a dongle to connect to your amazon prime account, so you should be able to just login to amazon prime via the website and go from there.

However I appreciate the issues with needing to be working on stuff on your laptop separately; you could still manage this with a monitor if you set it up as a second display, but it's a little more involved than just plugging it in with an HDMI in that case (possibly not much, but I've never tried to arrange that).

There's not really a right or wrong answer; both options have upsides and downsides.

Very true, thank you for your help.
Reply 14
Exactly the same, I wouldn’t live without putlocker and other sites the same.
Reply 15
you could still manage this with a monitor if you set it up as a second display, but it's a little more involved than just plugging it in with an HDMI in that case (possibly not much, but I've never tried to arrange that).

If the laptop has an HDMI connector it *is* that easy :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
If the laptop has an HDMI connector it *is* that easy :smile:

Whenever I plug mine into the HDMI it just defaults to using that as the native display, rather than a multiple display scenario so I wasn't sure :tongue: I imagine it would probably just require enabling something in display settings though...although with Win10 nothing ever is as easy as it seems to be (like having to edit a registry key just to stop it from auto sleeping after 2 minutes on battery...) :tongue:

I do think monitors are a pretty flexible option though; but since the OP indicates they'd be more or less moving back to the UK anyway, it could be worth them porting their TV over for posterity anyway.
Reply 17
Whenever I plug mine into the HDMI it just defaults to using that as the native display, rather than a multiple display scenario so I wasn't sure :tongue: I imagine it would probably just require enabling something in display settings though...although with Win10 nothing ever is as easy as it seems to be (like having to edit a registry key just to stop it from auto sleeping after 2 minutes on battery...) :tongue:

I do think monitors are a pretty flexible option though; but since the OP indicates they'd be more or less moving back to the UK anyway, it could be worth them porting their TV over for posterity anyway.

Ah, I use a Mac. It's easy peasy... :smile:
Original post by T.m.c

Not many people bring TV's to uni anymore, they all buy/bring monitor screens for various reasons. 1) You don't have to play tv license which you have to pay if you do bring your tv - its really an unnecesary cost that you don't need put on yourself 2) You don't have to lug your tv back and forth if you then decide to take it back home with you 3) Monitors still allow you to be social and its great for uni work as well, if you buy more than one monitor you can do split screen 4) Plus with monitors you can get a cool soundbar/system which makes it great for movies, my mate has one and its awesome !
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah, I use a Mac. It's easy peasy... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest