The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Study Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Presence
hi , mind if i join the group ? i'm in year 12 doing maths,fm , goal is lse economics

can o=someone tell me how to think radians! i can only do questions is i turn them to degrees which wastes a lot of time !

If you don't already, learn off-by-heart that π\pi radians and π2\frac{\pi}{2} radians are a half circle (180 degrees) and quarter circle (90 degrees) respectively.

Then if you were given e.g. π6\frac{\pi}{6} you can quickly imagine in your mind that this is a third of a quarter circle and e.g. 11π10\frac{11\pi}{10} is a bit more than π\pi so it's a bit more than half a circle.

If you have an example question where you normally convert to degrees first, please post it. Really the best way to get used to radians is to do loads of questions with radians, making sure you don't convert to degrees!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there,
I'm doing edexcel maths only so not further maths and I'm in year 12.

I quite like most of pure, I don't like stats cause I find it quite long and boring, and too repetitive in some ways.
I've been going to some problem solving sessions which isn't all aimed at a level as some of the content is more difficult, as some questions are taken from univeristy admissions test for example, and ohters from step and ukmt etc. The sessions have been difficult but interesting and even though I haven't understood a lot, it's still helped me and gave a head start on some topics, as some of the stuff you still do in a level.
I understand things like binomial expansion which I only knew a bit by myself a while ago, and after the session I had a look at it again and we done it today in maths so I understood it all so far which was quite satisfying, a relief and made it more fun
Original post by nyxnko_
Yeah, I did :yes: I was set on medicine all through my childhood, but it was my mum's dream and by the time I was 13, I realised that I personally didn't have a good reason to do medicine and it seemed like a LOT of work and I didn't think I could put in that work, so that 'dream' ended :tongue: At the time, I was kinda into maths and so, I was like yes! I'll do maths but as I said, I didn't like stats and the thought of having to do more stats at uni just doesn't appeal to me and at the same time, chemistry was becoming increasingly interesting and that's how I got hooked on natsci :tongue:
(oops, talked a bit much :colondollar:)
for me, stats feels very subjective.. it's a bit more open to interpretation compared to mechanics, which is more of a 'use this equation' sort of thing :yes: i'm sure you'll be fine :hugs:
and thank you for creating this thread! :lovehug:

:lol:
:woo:
Thank you :hugs: good luck to you too :rave:

prsom:heart:
Original post by Iahmed512
Hi there,
I'm doing edexcel maths only so not further maths and I'm in year 12.

I quite like most of pure, I don't like stats cause I find it quite long and boring, and too repetitive in some ways.
I've been going to some problem solving sessions which isn't all aimed at a level as some of the content is more difficult, as some questions are taken from univeristy admissions test for example, and ohters from step and ukmt etc. The sessions have been difficult but interesting and even though I haven't understood a lot, it's still helped me and gave a head start on some topics, as some of the stuff you still do in a level.
I understand things like binomial expansion which I only knew a bit by myself a while ago, and after the session I had a look at it again and we done it today in maths so I understood it all so far which was quite satisfying, a relief and made it more fun

:wavey:
the more of the problem solving stuff you do, the better at maths you get:yep: there was some math problem solving thing at my local uni on saturdays but couldn't attend as i have volunteering that day:frown:
binomial expansion:gah: i do find writing it out gets a bit long winded though:lol:
Original post by Notnek
If you don't already, learn off-by-heart that π\pi radians and π2\frac{\pi}{2} radians are a half circle (180 degrees) and quarter circle (90 degrees) respectively.

Then if you were given e.g. π6\frac{\pi}{6} you can quickly imagine in your mind that this is a third of a quarter circle and e.g. 11π10\frac{11\pi}{10} is a bit more than π\pi so it's a bit more than half a circle.

If you have an example question where you normally convert to degrees first, please post it. Really the best way to get used to radians is to do loads of questions with radians, making sure you don't convert to degrees!

thank you ! i mean when i do questions i convert to degrees and then convert my answer back to radians which is so time consuming and i dont think i willl have that time in the exam... practise..i guess
Original post by Toastiekid

Welcome to the A-level maths study group!:biggrin:

Thought this would be something nice to do especially as a lot of you seem to study a level maths:lol:
This is basically where you can chat to others about the subject whether that be ranting or a good test score or a topic you're finding difficult (though if you're struggling with a question it's better to post it in a separate thread)...
So to break the ice a little, there's a few questions you can answer below:h:

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
What exam board are you on?
Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject?
Are you doing further maths also; what optional modules are you doing if so?
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why?

specifications:
AQA- AS | A-level
AQA FM- AS | A-level
Edexcel- AS | A-level
Edexcel FM- AS | A-level
OCR- AS | A-level
OCR FM- AS | A-level
MEI- AS | A-level
MEI FM- AS | A-level
CIE- 2019 exams | 2020 exams onwards
WJEC- AS/A-level
WJEC FM- AS/A-level

if you know of any good resources that aren't in the list below please feel free to mention them so they can edited into the list!

resources:

Spoiler

Hi. I'm in Y12 doing edexcel. I love maths because I love solving very hard problems and there's never a grey area; you're either right or wrong. So far it has been very boring in pure because we did most of the stuff in GCSE F maths. Mechanics has been my favourite because it requires the most thinking. Stats was unbelievably boring in the beginning and hypothesis testing is the only fun topic.
I'm doing further maths but have not picked any modules because in my school we're doing A2 maths content from now on to may 😭.
TBH most of AS is dull but SUVAT in mechanics is probably my favourite because it requires actual thought rather than just repeating a process you've learnt. I've also started to learn number theory on my own and it is the most fun and interesting thing because the questions can be very tricky and you need to be very innovative and creative to solve them.
Reply 26
I am in y13 doing Edexcel.
I am also doing AQA Biology and Chemistry.

I’ll have to disagree with most people here and say that Stats is my favourite component.
I like pure but I hate trig, which second year pure is just trig.
I’ve hated trig since year 9 when our teacher split us into the girls side and the boys side because she said the girls would need more help because girls can’t do trig. (?????)

I detest mechanics, in my mocks I got 0 for mechanics. I missed the entire year 12 unit because I transferred schools part way through year 12 and everyone in my maths class also does physics so we barely did mechanics because it had already been taught and the rest of the class revised it in physics anyway.

Not doing well in maths at all. Year 12 and 13 mocks I got a D. I really need a C or Ideally a B to get into the unis I have applied for.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
:wavey:
the more of the problem solving stuff you do, the better at maths you get:yep: there was some math problem solving thing at my local uni on saturdays but couldn't attend as i have volunteering that day:frown:
binomial expansion:gah: i do find writing it out gets a bit long winded though:lol:

Indeed ☺️, the sessions are also at the nearest uni to me which is sussex, but I don't think it's staff from there though. Thee first few weeks were at a college as they were waiting for the response from the uni.
Oh that's a shame but it's good you're doing volunteering, feels good to help, and it'll look good on your cv.
Yeah I agree, the actual calculation doesn't take that long, once you get used to it, just writing it out, but usually they won't expect you to expand a huge power but just find the first 4 terms or the 10th term or something like that if it was to the power 15 for example
Indeed ☺️, the sessions are also at the nearest uni to me which is sussex, but I don't think it's staff from there though. Thee first few weeks were at a college as they were waiting for the response from the uni.
Oh that's a shame but it's good you're doing volunteering, feels good to help, and it'll look good on your cv.
Yeah I agree, the actual calculation doesn't take that long, once you get used to it, just writing it out, but usually they won't expect you to expand a huge power but just find the first 4 terms or the 10th term or something like that if it was to the power 15 for example

yeah, hoping it'll give me something to talk about on my ps too:redface:
i always have the tendency to make silly mistakes in maths so i have to be super careful with binomial expansion:rofl:

Staff for those are usually from local schools :ninja: I'm doing the same course but at the other uni and my teacher from last year usually does it :lol:
Glad you're finding them useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heyo everyone!

I'm in Y12, doing Maths and Further Maths (Both MEI) My FM modules are Algorithms, Numerical Methods, and Further Pure with Technology.
I chose maths because I'm generally pretty good with numbers, and I want to do computer science at uni.
Favourite bit is probably calculus in normal maths, and in FM Dijkstras or Pams algorithms. Least favourite has gotta be Proof by Induction, just cause it takes like a whole page to do one question haha. And stats. Screw stats.
yeah, hoping it'll give me something to talk about on my ps too:redface:
i always have the tendency to make silly mistakes in maths so i have to be super careful with binomial expansion:rofl:

Yeah definitely, it shows you're a helpful person, and that you're willing to do things you may not get a direct reward from as you don't get paid.
It s okay, I usually make mistakes quite a bit too, but yeah it would be catastrophic with this topic
Original post by Lemur14
Staff for those are usually from local schools :ninja: I'm doing the same course but at the other uni and my teacher from last year usually does it :lol:
Glad you're finding them useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is, cause it's the same people and not university staff. Oh cool, Indeed and it s quite interesting in a way a level question aren't sometimes even when I don't always understand it ☺️
Yeah it is, cause it's the same people and not university staff. Oh cool, Indeed and it s quite interesting in a way a level question aren't sometimes even when I don't always understand it ☺️

Yeah definitely a fair bit of it still goes over my head :lol: but as you say very interesting and rewarding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile:
I'm in year 12 doing Edexcel Maths. I mainly chose maths because it's the subject that I have the most motivation to improve in (even though I don't want to study STEM at uni); I was in Set 2 during GCSEs so I had to push myself to improve and I ended up getting a 7. This was my lowest grade so I probably shouldn't have chosen it for A Level but I reallyyyy didn't want to do 3 essay subjects (I also do English Literature and History), but I'm very surprised my maths grades are as good as my English and History ones so far. I've enjoyed inequalities because I sort of skipped over it at GCSE but I actually understand it now. Stats is a bit dull and I was a little behind at first because the majority of my class were in Set 1 last year so they had the option to do the Stats GCSE so we went through the content quite quickly which was kind of stressful :/
Original post by vjollcadobson
Hi :smile:
I'm in year 12 doing Edexcel Maths. I mainly chose maths because it's the subject that I have the most motivation to improve in (even though I don't want to study STEM at uni); I was in Set 2 during GCSEs so I had to push myself to improve and I ended up getting a 7. This was my lowest grade so I probably shouldn't have chosen it for A Level but I reallyyyy didn't want to do 3 essay subjects (I also do English Literature and History), but I'm very surprised my maths grades are as good as my English and History ones so far. I've enjoyed inequalities because I sort of skipped over it at GCSE but I actually understand it now. Stats is a bit dull and I was a little behind at first because the majority of my class were in Set 1 last year so they had the option to do the Stats GCSE so we went through the content quite quickly which was kind of stressful :/

a 7s still a really good grade you should be proud:yep: and it doesn't really determine how you'll do in the a level anyway! i took maths for a similar reason as both of my other subjects are essay based (english lit and psychology) so i thought a bit of variation would be better for me:lol:
glad to hear you're finding the subject okay, can defo be a bit nervewracking especially amongst kids in a higher set! have heard mixed opinions about stats:lol:
Hi, I'm in Year 12 doing maths, and I will take the a level at the end of this academic year before studying all of further maths in Year 13. Currently quite enjoying the A2 integration stuff, especially with partial fractions!
Original post by LeackyBee
Heyo everyone!

I'm in Y12, doing Maths and Further Maths (Both MEI) My FM modules are Algorithms, Numerical Methods, and Further Pure with Technology.
I chose maths because I'm generally pretty good with numbers, and I want to do computer science at uni.
Favourite bit is probably calculus in normal maths, and in FM Dijkstras or Pams algorithms. Least favourite has gotta be Proof by Induction, just cause it takes like a whole page to do one question haha. And stats. Screw stats.

good luck, the fm words sound really scary:tongue: are you doing maths in one year and sitting the exam at the end of year 12 and then fm in year 13?

Original post by RavenclawOwl
Hi, I'm in Year 12 doing maths, and I will take the a level at the end of this academic year before studying all of further maths in Year 13. Currently quite enjoying the A2 integration stuff, especially with partial fractions!

:eek2: how has the a2 stuff compared to as?:redface:
:eek2: how has the a2 stuff compared to as?:redface:

Its not that bad to be honest! I found it much more enjoyable :smile:
Original post by RavenclawOwl
Its not that bad to be honest! I found it much more enjoyable :smile:

only a person doing maths and fm would say that :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest