The Student Room Group

Tiffin boys sixth form external

So I got two 6s, six 7s and two 8s,
Tiffin sixth form look at my best eight subjects so they’ll be looking at my 7s and 8s however I’m rlly worried whether it won’t be enough to get the conditional offer. Can anyone give their thoughts? I’m applying to take maths chemistry and economics, I’ve got the 8 in maths however the 6 was in chemistry😬 so I don’t know if it’s possible to get in when I think many others have much higher than me.

Scroll to see replies

I can’t give Tiffin specific advice but I know in my school generally you’re not allowed to take a science at A Level (or not advised to take it) if you got below a 7. Most students in the class got 9s though.
Reply 2
Original post by meriem_ait
Tiffin sixth form look at my best eight subjects so they’ll be looking at my 7s and 8s however I’m rlly worried whether it won’t be enough to get the conditional offer. Can anyone give their thoughts? I’m applying to take maths chemistry and economics, I’ve got the 8 in maths however the 6 was in chemistry😬 so I don’t know if it’s possible to get in when I think many others have much higher than me.

http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/sixthform/Determined%20Admissions%20Policy%202019%20for%20Sixth%20Form(15%20Nov%202018).pdf
"The applicant must have a grade 7, 8 or 9 in three subjects that are to be studied in the Sixth Form."
Original post by Doonesbury
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/sixthform/Determined%20Admissions%20Policy%202019%20for%20Sixth%20Form(15%20Nov%202018).pdf
"The applicant must have a grade 7, 8 or 9 in three subjects that are to be studied in the Sixth Form."

I knew you’d know! OP seems to just be asking about their GCSE profile, any thoughts on that.
Reply 4
Original post by ohdearstudying
I knew you’d know! OP seems to just be asking about their GCSE profile, any thoughts on that.

Well they have a fundamental problem if they "only" have a 6 in a subject they want to take at A-level when a 7 is the minimum, so the rest of their profile is somewhat by-the-by.
Well they have a fundamental problem if they "only" have a 6 in a subject they want to take at A-level when a 7 is the minimum, so the rest of their profile is somewhat by-the-by.

To be honest grade requirements aren’t Tiffin exclusive, they are everywhere, surprised OP would even consider still doing that subject. I’ve always been advised to take A Levels in subjects (if you studied them) you got A - A**s in
Reply 6
To be honest grade requirements aren’t Tiffin exclusive, they are everywhere, surprised OP would even consider still doing that subject. I’ve always been advised to take A Levels in subjects (if you studied them) you got A - A**s in

It can vary by school, but yes a 7 is common however not everywhere. Tiffin is very selective so it's unsurprising they also require a 7. :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7

You see, Chemistry is actually my strongest science, you may think what but actually those predicted grades are based on my recent mocks and somehow I really messed up. I usuallly get 8s so that's why I chose it.
It can vary by school, but yes a 7 is common however not everywhere. Tiffin is very selective so it's unsurprising they also require a 7. :yep:

Very true
You see, Chemistry is actually my strongest science, you may think what but actually those predicted grades are based on my recent mocks and somehow I really messed up. I usuallly get 8s so that's why I chose it.

Unless you can get your school to raise your predicted grade or provide Tiffin’s with evidence of why this mock grade was uncharacteristic you’ll be struggling to continue with that subject. I’d say apply for another subject and find out about the plausibility of switching
Reply 9

As I'm sure you are aware, Tiffin is *very* selective so don't bet the bank on expecting a place. But good luck with it :crossedf:
Reply 10
Very true

Unless you can get your school to raise your predicted grade or provide Tiffin’s with evidence of why this mock grade was uncharacteristic you’ll be struggling to continue with that subject. I’d say apply for another subject and find out about the plausibility of switching

Ok thankyou

I’ve applied with 2 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s and 2 6s. I have a similar problem because I was predicted the 6s in English and I want to do Economics, which requires a 7. I’ve put down Philosophy and Ethics instead, hoping to change it if I get a conditional though
Reply 12
Original post by Adam_tsr
I’ve applied with 2 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s and 2 6s. I have a similar problem because I was predicted the 6s in English and I want to do Economics, which requires a 7. I’ve put down Philosophy and Ethics instead, hoping to change it if I get a conditional though

Ahh I feel better that I’m not the only one! Did u change it before or after u applied
Ahh I feel better that I’m not the only one! Did u change it before or after u applied

I applied with Philosophy and I’m hoping to change it to Economics, if I get a conditional. Where else have you applied?
Reply 14
I applied with Philosophy and I’m hoping to change it to Economics, if I get a conditional. Where else have you applied?

I've applied for Waldegrave as well, hbu
I've applied for Waldegrave as well, hbu

I’ve applied for the 5 Slough grammar schools and Dr Challoners in Amersham
Reply 16
I’ve applied for the 5 Slough grammar schools and Dr Challoners in Amersham

Wow! Best of luck! X
Original post by aestheticfood
Hey how'd you know they requested a reference, was it from your school?

Hey, yeah teacher told me
Reply 18
Original post by aestheticfood
Hey how'd you know they requested a reference, was it from your school?

What is a reference sorry?😂
What is a reference sorry?😂

Tiffin emails your school basically asking what you’re like at school and your grades etc

Quick Reply

Latest