The Student Room Group

Should I just give up?

I failed my mocks terribly, when I say terrible I mean very badly. I don't know if I should continue putting in the work because it's not paying off. I'm so depressed I've been struggling to sleep and eat.

What should I do to get 8's and 9's? Or is it too late?
Better late than never, look for fast and effective techniques to improve what you got wrong in your mocks.
Good luck, don't give up.
Giving up is for the weak. You still have a good few months to turn it around. They’re only mocks anyway.
doing badly in mocks doesn't mean you'll mess up the summer exams automatically:nah:
plenty of people improve tons from mocks into summer exams
have you got feedback from mock results so you can see your weak areas? how much revision did you do for mocks? perhaps you didn't do enough practice papers etc
let me tell you GCSE are easy you only need a couple weeks of solid revision
The only time it's too late is when you're just about to sit the exam. Please don't let your GCSEs stress you out this much. Which subjects are you doing?
Reply 6
Original post by benwhite13

So it's January, so if I put lots of hours, like insane amount of hours would I come out with good grades! I'm so scared and stressed
Original post by benwhite13

Not sure that this is the best advice to give someone. You may believe that they are easy but you've got to remember that a) they have become harder due to the new reforms and b) that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses so take different amounts of time to retain & remember information & then apply that information - it isn't as simple as saying 'just revise a few weeks before exams' because you ideally want to only be applying your knowledge by the time exam season comes around, not learning everything all over again because there is so much content that you just wouldn't be able to go back over it all in time if you only revised a couple of weeks before the exam. What might apply to you, may not apply to someone else :smile:
YOU HAVE TIME.

DO PAST PAPERS. (if you don't understand a topic, go over you booklet or websites then do more questions from your exam board)
Original post by matrix7200
I failed my mocks terribly, when I say terrible I mean very badly. I don't know if I should continue putting in the work because it's not paying off. I'm so depressed I've been struggling to sleep and eat.

Analyse where you went wrong. Is your revision technique wrong? Or you doing too much without taking anything in etc. Look at your mocks as indicators and start from there.
Original post by matrix7200

Never give up, you've got this. Having motivation to study, after you've done badly is so hard but you've got to keep continuing because the more you master now, the better you will do. Go back over your mocks, see where you went wrong, ask teachers for help - after all that is what they are there for. Identify your weak areas and plan time in your revision to revisit those areas but do not get stressed out. Year 11 is hard. It's stressful & sometimes its all too much, its so overwhelming when you have so much to do but don't even know where to start so get yourself sorted, find revision methods that work for you but remember that your mental health is a priority over school, over exams, over anything & you can't let yourself get bogged down in work & do so much because you will end up only causing more issues & burning out by the time it comes to exam season. Talk to someone about how you're feeling because there is so much support out there, you just need to ask for it. You will be fine, you will do so well, just focus on doing as much as you can but also on looking after yourself :smile:
What kind of revision do you do? Let's start from there :smile:.

But definitely don't ever give up.

Quick Reply

Latest