The Student Room Group

Feminism

I’m a feminist, anybody who is against feminism fight me:smile:))
But, all of you feminists out there what cause do y’all support the most, which do you find most intriguing and profound?

Scroll to see replies

If it's a tickle fight I'm in

Also, I support equal rights feminism, but not the modern day version that it's been twisted into. Which one do you support?
Reply 2
Feminism is an excellent way for middle/upper middle class women to pretend that they're somehow oppressed or disadvantaged in any way in life.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
If it's a tickle fight I'm in

Also, I support equal rights feminism, but not the modern day version that it's been twisted into. Which one do you support?

Hell ya equal rights are good! I support, equal pay and am pro choice. What do you mean by the modern day version?
Original post by ilem
Feminism is an excellent way for middle/upper middle class women to pretend that they're somehow oppressed or disadvantaged in any way in life.

Excuse me, now that is one of the most ignorant comments ive heard. Women *are* oppressed we needn’t pretend. What are you even basing your statement upon? Absolute ****?
Original post by abstractly01
What do you mean by the modern day version?

Good question, as far as I am aware it is modern day feminism that is all about equality between the sexes compared to older self-proclaimed feminists that insisted all straight sex was rape. : /
Reply 6
Excuse me, now that is one of the most ignorant comments ive heard. Women *are* oppressed we needn’t pretend. What are you even basing your statement upon? Absolute ****?

Lol, women are by far the most coddled societal group in existence today. You're absolutely not disadvantaged in any way.
Hell ya equal rights are good! I support, equal pay and am pro choice. What do you mean by the modern day version?

The version that paints all men as enemies. The version where women get offended over an air conditioning unit. The verion where a women will cry cos you just gave her some facts about something. That one.
Original post by ilem
Lol, women are by far the most coddled societal group in existence today. You're absolutely not disadvantaged in any way.

Woah that is wrong, if you think we’re one of the most coddled yo group then why:
Does there still exist a 23% pay gap?
Why are female infanticides contributing towards millions of girls dying in middle eastern countries?
Why are women expected to take on their husbands last name when married? They are married, not branded.
The version that paints all men as enemies. The version where women get offended over an air conditioning unit. The verion where a women will cry cos you just gave her some facts about something. That one.

Men aren’t painted as enemies, we don’t mean to bring men down but make place for us back on top, where we deserve to be right to next to men. This stereotypical image of women being offended by facts is not true. It is just believed. We are capable of facing the truth as much as you can, and feminism explains that. We needn’t be associated w being weak or unable to deal w stuff, that’s the stereotype we are trying to remove, through feminism.
Reply 10
Woah that is wrong, if you think we’re one of the most coddled yo group then why:
Does there still exist a 23% pay gap?
Why are female infanticides contributing towards millions of girls dying in middle eastern countries?
Why are women expected to take on their husbands last name when married? They are married, not branded.

There is no such thing as a pay gap in the way that you envision it. There is an earnings gap between the sexes that is a direct result of biological differences between males and females -- females can choose not to work and live off of their husband's income, while men have no such option, as choosing not to work lands them on the streets. Women are also not as driven to succeed in the workplace as men in general. There is nothing stopping you from making it big in your career, though a BA in gender studies/any other useless humanities subject usually doesn't help very much with that, at least not as much as a STEM degree would.

Female infanticide in various 3rd world shitholes around the world might actually be one of the few worthwhile things that feminism can fight for -- unfortunately most of you seem more concerned with calling out 'manspreading' and moaning about the non-existent pay gap.

Women take on their husband's last name when married because they want to, given that there is no law forcing them to do so.
Men aren’t painted as enemies, we don’t mean to bring men down but make place for us back on top, where we deserve to be right to next to men. This stereotypical image of women being offended by facts is not true. It is just believed. We are capable of facing the truth as much as you can, and feminism explains that. We needn’t be associated w being weak or unable to deal w stuff, that’s the stereotype we are trying to remove, through feminism.

Why are you defending modern feminism? You told me you were about equal rights but you're defending hypocrites lol.

Yes, men are painted as enemies by these extremist feminists. Yes, extremist feminists do get offended by facts. I've seen it and it makes me laugh and cry at the same time.
Reply 12
I think feminism has served its cause for the western world and should focus on issues in developing nations which in comparison are years behind the west- india and middle eastern countries genuinly opress women, but feminism has become a joke because it is obsessed with tackling useless and non-issues such as the pay gap (myth), man spreading (men have balls, ask politely and they may move), man-splaining etc just because someone is an ******** doesn't mean a whole gender is - literally what feminism is trying to fight against - sexism. They claim to stand up to opression and go against the norm/ tradition but it has come to the point where they hate/opress people who want to follow tradition. Feminists also set blatant double standards to the point where they are campaigning for more than equality - all men must love this fat women or you're a bigot reee. If you don't earn a six figure salary don't talk to me...
GRR.jpg
ok but first what weight class are you? cant fight unless we are in the same class!
Original post by ilem

You are right of course. I mean - let's say low paid female council workers in Birmingham paid less than their male counterparts would never win a legal challenge would they?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20294633

And working class women would never fight for the equal pay act would they?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_sewing_machinists_strike_of_1968

I mean - they were all working class and had neither the education or the knowledge to understand the complex issues surrounding being treated differently to men right?

Like you say, feminism is purely the pursuit of the bored middle class housewife no?
Why are you defending modern feminism? You told me you were about equal rights but you're defending hypocrites lol.

Yes, men are painted as enemies by these extremist feminists. Yes, extremist feminists do get offended by facts. I've seen it and it makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I support parts of modern feminism I am not completely against it, because the let’s I have seen are all worthwhile and genuine
Original post by ilem
There is no such thing as a pay gap in the way that you envision it. There is an earnings gap between the sexes that is a direct result of biological differences between males and females -- females can choose not to work and live off of their husband's income, while men have no such option, as choosing not to work lands them on the streets. Women are also not as driven to succeed in the workplace as men in general. There is nothing stopping you from making it big in your career, though a BA in gender studies/any other useless humanities subject usually doesn't help very much with that, at least not as much as a STEM degree would.

Female infanticide in various 3rd world shitholes around the world might actually be one of the few worthwhile things that feminism can fight for -- unfortunately most of you seem more concerned with calling out 'manspreading' and moaning about the non-existent pay gap.

Women take on their husband's last name when married because they want to, given that there is no law forcing them to do so.

The first point is exactly what I’m against. While female can be domestic goddesses men should not have any obligation to work, why not let females bring in the income? Why can’t the be the bread winner for a change? That is the one perspective nobody seems to consider, women can very well work w a lot of determination if you give her the opportunity to and a pay that reflects her effort. But let’s say, women start becoming the sole earner will men’s ego be able to accepts that? If so, it’ll be perfect.

And, dude who even said women only major in gender studies I personally am going to be majoring one economics. What you have said is just plain sexist, women are very well capable of pursuing and thriving in any field they want be it gender studies or STEM.

The pay gap freaking exists, please do research if you’d like and then come argue?

But doesn’t they stereotype expect them to take up the last name? And I have come across many examples which criticise women who refuse to take up the last name.
Original post by ByEeek
You are right of course. I mean - let's say low paid female council workers in Birmingham paid less than their male counterparts would never win a legal challenge would they?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20294633

And working class women would never fight for the equal pay act would they?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_sewing_machinists_strike_of_1968

I mean - they were all working class and had neither the education or the knowledge to understand the complex issues surrounding being treated differently to men right?

Like you say, feminism is purely the pursuit of the bored middle class housewife no?

If that’s sarcasm, I like you
Original post by yaco3
I think feminism has served its cause for the western world and should focus on issues in developing nations which in comparison are years behind the west- india and middle eastern countries genuinly opress women, but feminism has become a joke because it is obsessed with tackling useless and non-issues such as the pay gap (myth), man spreading (men have balls, ask politely and they may move), man-splaining etc just because someone is an ******** doesn't mean a whole gender is - literally what feminism is trying to fight against - sexism. They claim to stand up to opression and go against the norm/ tradition but it has come to the point where they hate/opress people who want to follow tradition. Feminists also set blatant double standards to the point where they are campaigning for more than equality - all men must love this fat women or you're a bigot reee. If you don't earn a six figure salary don't talk to me...
GRR.jpg

Now now, i don’t like repeating myself and typing these long paragraphs only for you ignorant people to type the same thing again and again. Geez, READ.
The gender pay gap is a myth.

/thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending