The Student Room Group

TV/Film Production Official Applicants thread! 2019

Are you applying to study TV/Film Production at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Scary Films or Comedy Films?:holmes:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Specific Course: Film Production, Filmmaking & Screenwriting BA degree
Universities you're applying to: Chichester, Leeds, West of Scotland and I'm trying to decide between Lancaster (Film & Creative Writing), Southampton Solent (Film BA), Westminster (Film BA) and Lincoln (Film production)
Grades: I'm applying as an EU student, so I take 5 matura exams (secondary school finals), two at higher level. AAAAB
I prefer scary films :devil3:
Somebody has to start writing to this thread so I volunteered XD Just maybe somebody's applying to the same unis/courses. :biggrin: Or help me to decide which other 2 unis courses to apply for.
Universities you're applying to: Royal Holloway (Film, TV and Digital Production), Portsmouth (Film Industries and Creative Writing), Sussex (Media Production), Kent (Media Studies) and Bournemouth (Television Production)
Offers received: Unconditional from Portsmouth, conditionals from Bournemouth and Sussex

Scary films are better. I used to hate watching them but now I'm older, I have an admiration for them. They can distract me from my anxiety better than watching any other genre and there are some gems out there that are works of genius - entirely unique, unforgettable, detailed.

Anyone else applied to the same unis?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by justzoe
Universities you're applying to: Royal Holloway (Film, TV and Digital Production), Portsmouth (Film Industries and Creative Writing), Sussex (Media Production), Kent (Media Studies) and Bournemouth (Television Production)
Offers received: Unconditional from Portsmouth, conditional from Bournemouth

Scary films are better. I used to hate watching them but now I'm older, I have an admiration for them. They can distract me from my anxiety better than watching any other genre and there are some gems out there that are works of genius - entirely unique, unforgettable, detailed.

Anyone else applied to the same unis?

Congrats on the offers! If you have any questions be sure to ask :-)

Vicki
Original post by BU Students
Congrats on the offers! If you have any questions be sure to ask :-)

Vicki

Hiya, thank you so much! I know I'll probably have a few when I get the rest of my responses in but I have one now! If you had to sell going to Bournemouth Uni for film (or in general) in two sentences, what would you say?
Reply 5
Specific Course: Film Production/Film
Universities you're applying to: Leeds Beckett University, University of Westminster, University of Arts, London, University for the creative arts, University of Hertfordshire
International A level / IB / Higher grades: All are predicted grades: Economics A*/A, Accounting A and Mathematics A
Scary Films or Comedy Films? Scary films are better in my opinion, I absolutely love the feeling of adrenaline in my blood!

Greetings from Macau! (The city next to Hong Kong) I am the first person in my high school to be applying for a film production degree in the UK lol, anyone else taking the same course as me?
Original post by benjalam
Universities you're applying to: Leeds Beckett University, University of Westminster, University of Arts, London, University for the creative arts, University of Hertfordshire
International A level / IB / Higher grades: All are predicted grades: Economics A*/A, Accounting A and Mathematics A
Scary Films or Comedy Films? Scary films are better in my opinion, I absolutely love the feeling of adrenaline in my blood!

Greetings from Macau! (The city next to Hong Kong) I am the first person in my high school to be applying for a film production degree in the UK lol, anyone else taking the same course as me?

I also applied for Film in Westminster 😄
Reply 7
Specific Course: TV & Broadcasting / Film & TV / Film, TV & Digital Production
Universities you're applying to: Uni Of Portsmouth / Solent Uni (Southampton)/ Royal Holloway (London)
Scary Films or Comedy Films? love/hate relationship with both genres!
Original post by LizMo
Specific Course: TV & Broadcasting / Film & TV / Film, TV & Digital Production
Universities you're applying to: Uni Of Portsmouth / Solent Uni (Southampton)/ Royal Holloway (London)
Scary Films or Comedy Films? love/hate relationship with both genres!

Hey, you're applying to Portsmouth and RH too! I have an offer for the same Film, TV & Digital Production course :smile: What do you think you're going to go for?
Original post by justzoe
Hiya, thank you so much! I know I'll probably have a few when I get the rest of my responses in but I have one now! If you had to sell going to Bournemouth Uni for film (or in general) in two sentences, what would you say?

My course is within the HSS faculty so I have no personal experience within the media courses, however for film I'd go with the reputation of the course going into post grad-employment! The placement opportunities at BU are also among the best with fantastic contacts, and the new Poole Gateway will be home to some amazing state of the art facilities. BU in general... The support available to students, the clubs and societies (there's so much to choose from), the location (the beach and forest), and the expanding facilities.

Best of luck with your remaining offers :-)

Vicki
Reply 10
Original post by justzoe
Hey, you're applying to Portsmouth and RH too! I have an offer for the same Film, TV & Digital Production course :smile: What do you think you're going to go for?

Not sure yet, haven't been to any open days or visited any of the unis. No offers yet as I *ahem* haven't sent in my UCAS form - still waiting on a reference which I have been promised will be sent this afternoon (last minute much?) :biggrin: Any idea which course you'll choose?
Reply 11
I’ve applied to the Film Production courses at Gloucestershire, Norwich, Westminster, Ravensbourne and Winchester!😊

Has anyone had their interviews yet? and if so what did they ask you and how did it go?
Hey! Don't know if I fit in here (since I've applied for a theoretical course) but this is the first 2019 applicants thread on TSR for film/media related courses that I could find :smile:

Specific Course: Film studies BA
Universities you're applying to: KCL, Queen Mary Uni, Warwick, Oxford Brookes & UWE Bristol - until now I've received offers from Oxford Brookes & Bristol
A level / IB / Higher grades: I'm an EU applicant and I've already got my results - equivalent to A*A*A*
GCSE grades: /
Scary Films or Comedy Films? Definitely scary films! Feel like the genre had a kind of renaissance over the last few years

Wishing you all best of luck with your applications! x
My course is within the HSS faculty so I have no personal experience within the media courses, however for film I'd go with the reputation of the course going into post grad-employment! The placement opportunities at BU are also among the best with fantastic contacts, and the new Poole Gateway will be home to some amazing state of the art facilities. BU in general... The support available to students, the clubs and societies (there's so much to choose from), the location (the beach and forest), and the expanding facilities.

Vicki

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this, especially as media isn't your area of expertise! I've heard myself about the opportunities for work experience and the facilities sound great. I think you've sold me on taking a look around BU on an open day :smile:

Vicki

The first group of students will finish the BU film degree this summer. There’s no record for what careers they will go into (there’s not even any NSS results available yet).
Specific Course: film / film-making / film production
Universities you're applying to: Plymouth College of Art / Aberystwyth / Solent
Scary Films or Comedy Films? I prefer scary but some comedies are ok like Shaun of the dead
Original post by PQ
The first group of students will finish the BU film degree this summer. There’s no record for what careers they will go into (there’s not even any NSS results available yet).

Hi, I've been in contact with the media department and have a few bits of info for you:

"We’re doing something different with our BA Film degree at Bournemouth. We like to fuse practice, theory and history into each unit so that our students have a rounded approach to film in its broadest sense. We don’t like to prescribe good or bad movies; we want people to explore what drives their own interest in film. We have an increasing flexibility and freedom in the course that suits the student who is really focused on what they want and the student who is unsure and still wants to explore the different pathways open to them."

James Fair, Programme Leader

The course is designed to give you the opportunity to explore and experiment with different aspects of filmmaking, producing films individually and collaboratively throughout the duration of the course.

You’ll have the option to complete either a 4-week or minimum 30-week work placement during the course, working in a professional environment.

And some stats from similar courses:

This degree is classed as a Creative Arts & Design course by the Department of Education. BU graduates from courses in this subject area enjoy median earnings of £27,600 after five years 38% more than the average.

I hope this helps, if you require any further specific information please contact [email protected]

Our media courses in general have a fantastic reputation in the industry and I'm sure this new course will only add to that.

Many Thanks

Vicki
Reply 17
Original post by AnnaMirjam
I also applied for Film in Westminster 😄

So did I! I have my skype interview on friday, did you have an interview already?
Reply 18
Original post by benjalam

I also applied to Westminster! Did you have an interview yet?
Original post by foxrue
So did I! I have my skype interview on friday, did you have an interview already?

Huh, I sent my portfolio 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm waiting for setting the date of the Skype interview. How long did it take for them to look through your portfolio and set the date?

Latest

Trending

Trending