The Student Room Group

I’m giving up on life

I’ve failed my igcses and AS level twice now.

I only passed two subjects so I need three more igcses and at least three A level subjects if I want to attend Uni, problem is tho I can’t ****ing pass my exams. I’ve had expensive tutors, online and hired ones, I practiced on old exams papers, they graded it and told me that I would get decent grades. I took my AS and the IGCSES in Okt/Nov and the results came out yesterday.

Every. Subject. Ungraded.

I somehow received lower grades than the ones I sat for in May/June.

I simply don’t get it. I studied everyday for 6 hours for 8 months. I honestly think I don’t have the brains for school at all.
Worst of all? I’m 20 ****ing years old and while I’m failing life, my friends are half way through Uni.

What the hell am I suppose to do now??? I can’t get a job because I barely finished high school, I still live with my parents. My parents are tired of me, I simply give up. Can it get any worse???
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is a genuine source of amazement to me that one cannot pass ones exams with so much revision.
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
It is a genuine source of amazement to me that one cannot pass ones exams with so much revision.

do you think your dyslexic, do you run out of time badly?!
Reply 4
Original post by maisiex10x
do you think your dyslexic, do you run out of time badly?!

I’m not sure what you mean by running out of time, but no I’m pretty sure I’m not dyslexic, although I might some other difficulty but my parents never wanted me to get a psychiatric evaluation, I could get one today but its going to take months to an appointment as an adult, at least in my country.
Reply 5
Original post by Savvannahh

I only passed two subjects so I need three more igcses and at least three A level subjects if I want to attend Uni, problem is tho I can’t ****ing pass my exams. I’ve had expensive tutors, online and hired ones, I practiced on old exams papers, they graded it and told me that I would get decent grades. I took my AS and the IGCSES in Okt/Nov and the results came out yesterday.

I simply don’t get it. I studied everyday for 6 hours for 8 months. I honestly think I don’t have the brains for school at all.
Worst of all? I’m 20 ****ing years old and while I’m failing life, my friends are half way through Uni.

What the hell am I suppose to do now??? I can’t get a job because I barely finished high school, I still live with my parents. My parents are tired of me, I simply give up. Can it get any worse???

Have you considered something more vocational, like an apprenticeship or NVQ?
PLEASE dont let exams define your very existence!!!! could do you do a foundation degree? do you think you could reach back to your school - im sure they will only be too willing to help..........

uni's not all its cracked up to be - an apprenticeship or something similar could be invaluable...

Don't lose hope!
Reply 7
Original post by schnauz
Have you considered something more vocational, like an apprenticeship or NVQ?

Honestly, I just want to pass my exams and attend university. I don’t think there’s something like NVQ in Sweden.

Request your exam scripts back and see where you're going wrong, it doesn't sound like a knowledge-based problem if you were predicted to pass before. I was in a fairly similar situation before, when doing my GCSE mocks where I came back with 8 out of 10 subjects ungraded, and the only ones graded being Maths and Physics, due to examiners simply being unable to read my disgusting handwriting. I then got myself diagnosed with dysgraphia, and now use a computer for exams, and it's worked so far.
Reply 9
Honestly, I just want to pass my exams and attend university. I don’t think there’s something like NVQ in Sweden.

Fair enough. But it sounds like you might need to take a break from academia, clear your head and re-start afresh.

As for you being 20 and still at home, I’ll be 23 when I (finally!) leave home for university so you’re not the only one in this sort of position. Some of my friends are doing PhDs and I haven’t started my Bachelor’s! I know it does feel weird and frustrating, especially when your peers move on without you, but just remember it’s not a race: you’re on your own journey. Anyway, good luck and take care of yourself. It’s hard enough going through it all without having a go at yourself too x
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by schnauz
Fair enough. But it sounds like you might need to take a break from academia, clear your head and re-start afresh.

As for you being 20 and still at home, I’ll be 23 when I (finally!) leave home for university so you’re not the only one in this sort of position. Some of my friends are doing PhDs and I haven’t started my Bachelor’s! I know it does feel weird and frustrating, especially when your peers move on without you, but just remember it’s not a race: you’re on your own journey. Anyway, good luck and take care of yourself. It’s hard enough going through it all without having a go at yourself too x

Thank you
I know how exams are so important I used to stress out over GCSES real bad . You dont necessarily need to go uni to be successful in life , you can get an apprenticeship maybe? If you should dont get decent grades although maybe you should maybe its due to exam conditions that you struggle .
Reply 12
Original post by dorian81
Request your exam scripts back and see where you're going wrong, it doesn't sound like a knowledge-based problem if you were predicted to pass before. I was in a fairly similar situation before, when doing my GCSE mocks where I came back with 8 out of 10 subjects ungraded, and the only ones graded being Maths and Physics, due to examiners simply being unable to read my disgusting handwriting. I then got myself diagnosed with dysgraphia, and now use a computer for exams, and it's worked so far.

I don’t think I can get them back, especially when it’s international A levels. I was told a few years ago that they get destroyed by the time you get your results. I don’t really have bad handwriting, I don’t write in cursive, only small and neat letters...
Reply 13
I go to the highest performing school in my region of the UK and there is a tremendous amount of pressure put on students to churn out top grades. Many turn out with a clean sweep of A*s, but even here there is an increasing number of students going for apprenticeships (some of these have no entry requirement bar a pass in GCSE English and Mathematics). And this can be a really, really smart move. Find your strengths and build on them as clearly passing exams are not it.
I don’t think I can get them back, especially when it’s international A levels. I was told a few years ago that they get destroyed by the time you get your results. I don’t really have bad handwriting, I don’t write in cursive, only small and neat letters...

That's a shame then, how do remarks work in iGCSE if they destroy the papers?

Handwriting was just an example, I know plenty of people who have different things that can hamper their performance in an exam. If you can check, it is always worth it.

Hope you find a solution though.

AS Level exams don't require that much revision.

I was also in a position where I revised 10 hours a day for a long time and still didn't do well in the exam.

The mistake I was making was that although I was reading and working, my mind wasn't actually in the work. I was just sitting there with the book out and reading but nothing was going in. After a while, I took a bit of a break and decided to study in a small amount of time but make efficient use of it which let me finish my whole course within a month.

I think that you should take a one week break from studying and working, and plan out your work (don't spend more than two or three hours on planning).
Make a list of all the topics that you need to cover, and say how many or which ones you will cover each day. My advise is to do about 4-5 hours in the morning, and then do extracurriculur stuff in the afternoon as you can't spend all day working or else you will get tired.
You should be able to finish your whole course well within a month considering how much you have done already.

For example: I'm also almost 20 :eek4: and I do Computing. My usual day is to work in the morning up to about 12, then I work out + learn coding stuff + relax in the afternoon, and then do some reading or a free online course or look for internships in the evening.

You don't need a tutors. You need to mark your work yourself in order to see where you went wrong and where you can improve. You also need to change your exam techniques and find out your weaknesses to improve at those areas.
there are many jobs that do not require academic qualifications. many of them provide a great income. i imagine that in Sweden the guys who empty the bins are on thousands of krone a month ?
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
there are many jobs that do not require academic qualifications. many of them provide a great income. i imagine that in Sweden the guys who empty the bins are on thousands of krone a month ?

I don’t know if you are aware of it, but job hunting in Sweden is a joke. It’s extremely hard to not only get a job, but a place of your own. You won’t get anywhere without an education/ degree in something and Doesn’t matter if I want to scrub toilets, I need years of experience. You even need a high school diploma to work at McDonald’s now.
Nice to see so many people who are helpful. Don't give up :smile:
Nice to see so many people who are helpful. Don't give up. :smile: Have you considered an apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending