The Student Room Group

in what order do you revise?

what order do you guys revise in? for example, do mind maps first then revision guide
I just do past papers, then read the spec to see I know everything. If I don’t know something, I go on Maths and Physics Tutor and print questions from the topic I need help with. If it is desperate I may open a revision guide but this rarely ever happens.

Might be worth mentioning that I also only ever revise the day before ( eg I have mocks atm and mostly have 2 subjects per day but I still only study the night before. I also did the during GCSEs.) Very unhealthy, I know 😂
Original post by GCSE pupil
I just do past papers, then read the spec to see I know everything. If I don’t know something, I go on Maths and Physics Tutor and print questions from the topic I need help with. If it is desperate I may open a revision guide but this rarely ever happens.

Might be worth mentioning that I also only ever revise the day before ( eg I have mocks atm and mostly have 2 subjects per day but I still only study the night before. I also did the during GCSEs.) Very unhealthy, I know 😂

what did you get for your mocks and GCSE'S
Original post by tasneem.016
what did you get for your mocks and GCSE'S

GCSEs: 8 A* and 2A
Mocks for GCSEs: 10A*
Mocks atm: still doing them.

from now on i am revising like you

how do you revise like your techniques?

Be aware this may not work for everyone, and may cause you lots of stress
Reply 7
what order do you guys revise in? for example, do mind maps first then revision guide

I use my revision guide to help me do my mind maps, anything not in my exercise book and I think is worth knowing I put into my mind map- this is especially helpful for a-level where you have to know the ins and outs and the very specific details...

It works well for me but that doesn’t mean that it’ll work for everyone. My brain really works well under stress and time-pressure. I stress myself out on purpose to do this. There may be ways that will work better for you🤷🏻*♀️.

If my way is of help for you then I am glad I aided :smile:
I go straight into detailed note-taking, going topic by topic through the content and reviewing it frequently - because this is what helps to commit that information to long-term memory. If I don't understand something I do further research via internet or textbook. I keep a seperate A6 notebook containing definitions of words that are complex or I constantly forget the meaning of. I quiz myself on the content. In my most recent exam my friend and I quizzed each other on the content for several days before the exam and it's one of the highest grades I ever achieved in all my years of study (at 3rd year uni level too)..
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10

nononono don't - revising the day before is a terrible idea!

wth, how do you revise the day prior for a test and get an A star in it. PRODIGY??

This is my order:

(ALWAYS FOLLOW UR SPEC, I always keep it next to me as a checklist when I making my notes)

- write down everything I can remember (from the topic im revising) // this can be in the form of mind map or bullet points //

- then I go back to my notes (I use flashcards) and check my mind map against them to see what I’ve missed out, fill it in and then revise what I missed out

- start past papers and write out questions I got wrong

- add them to my flash cards so I don’t get it wrong next time

Hope this helps someone! :smile:
Also same I do last minute revision during mocks too it’s very unhealthy!
(edited 5 years ago)
In the months before the exams of 'revising', or in other words sitting in front of the textbook, I tend to condense the whole textbook down into a set of notes. If the notes are then flashcard-able that also becomes an option.

Other than that I'd say I'm in the same boat as the person before, for most mocks so far it's been a revise on the night/morning before basis, but if there has been a prolonged period of revision, as there was for my actual GCSEs, then it's all about the past papers, they're the undisputed best way to do well in an exam. Unfortunately, I now do 4 essay subjects, which means doing past papers can take anywhere from an hour to two hours, or even three if I'm really putting myself in exam situations, and it's a lot harder to just rely on questions from the internet, so I'll probably be using flashcards a lot more.

Also if you're doing GCSEs and you don't have CGP guides what are you doing?
Original post by dead_.sxn
wth, how do you revise the day prior for a test and get an A star in it. PRODIGY??

I think for me most of the revision happens in the classroom. I listen well and make sure I understand everything, so I don’t feel like that much revision is needed afterwards.

There are instances when I have tests on something I completely don’t understand, but I always think that 8 hours the day before can do miracles, especially with the pressure on me to understand.

This will sound bad but I equate failure with something bad happening, the night before, I tell myself that the worst thing that could ever happen is getting anything lower than an A.
😂😂😂 strange way to revise, probably not healthy at all.
(edited 5 years ago)
how do you revise like your techniques?

If I do a past paper and score badly on it, I do it again. This is beneficial because you familiarise yourself with the mark scheme and points you need to make on questions similar to them in the future . If something strikes me as ‘never heard this before’ I write it on a flash card to read on the way to the exam. Same goes for questions with points I know I will forget.
If there is a topic I need severe help with, mathsandphysicstutor.com excellently arranges questions by topic and so I do the questions related to that topic.

It is mostly panic 😂 I also do not sleep the night before so plenty of time to do this :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
1. Create handwritten notes
2. Make digital mindmaps on my iPad using OneNote
3. Create further condensed handwritten notes
4. Practice past paper questions
5. Come up with potential questions they could ask me
6. Use study guide/textbook questions
7. Closer to the time I make handwritten spider diagrams of the notes again to refresh my memory and apply this knowledge to PPQs.
Original post by emilynxlan
1. Create handwritten notes
2. Make digital mindmaps on my iPad using OneNote
3. Create further condensed handwritten notes
4. Practice past paper questions
5. Come up with potential questions they could ask me
6. Use study guide/textbook questions
7. Closer to the time I make handwritten spider diagrams of the notes again to refresh my memory and apply this knowledge to PPQs.

^ exactly what I aspire to but will never be. I tried so many times to stop procrastination and just get myself organised but it never happens. I don’t get how people can actually do this.
Reply 18
notes, mindmaps, flashcards, practice questions/essay plans

Quick Reply

Latest