The Student Room Group

What do you think is the biggest problem facing the world today?

I was in an interview today and was asked this question and it really got me thinking. I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. What do you think? I'm open to anybody's views or personal opinions.

Be honest. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Humans
there is very little gratitude.
Reply 3
Climate change, probably.
Too many men

Too many people

Too many problems
people do not know when they are well off.
Original post by the bear
there is very little gratitude.

I totally agree. There is indeed very little Gratitude with this world.

Gratitude can go a long way. I feel it provides us with a proper understanding of our place in the world as humans and it helps us to direct our attention to what we already have and not what we don't have. As a result, our eyes are turned away from the things that are fostering the discontent in our hearts.

Overall, I would say gratitude improves our overall well-being. :smile:
Too many habitual criminals, bullying thugs and abusive liars who seem to believe that society's rules and laws don't apply to them.
Too few decent people not taking the time to put them right on this point.
Brexit is confusing the professionals
MARTIN LUTHER KING DID NOT DIE FOR THIS omg
Reply 10
Probably climate change.
Original post by londonmyst
Too many habitual criminals, bullying thugs and abusive liars who seem to believe that society's rules and laws don't apply to them.
Too few decent people not taking the time to put them right on this point.

DISCLAIMER: lol this is just a POV and a counter argument. I totally agree with you. Your point is extremely valid. Bullying thugs and abusive liars are disgusting. And it's crazy how people witness crime and abuse happening to someone else all the time like in the streets, etc but never help. They don't care. As long as its not happening to them. It's honestly disgusting. My below point is specifically about Drug dealers and drug criminals.

But then could you not counter this (your particualr statement/phrase about 'habitual criminals') with don’t blame the person, blame society, parenting, education and laws. You could say some habitual criminals like drug dealers are forced into this from a very young age because it's the only way for them to provide for their suffering families who aren't so well of. And you could argue that there are better ways to earn money but that may be because you know those ways. You may have been given the opportunities and the education but to them, drugs could be all they know- the society they were brought up in could have a great influence upon them. What else could they turn to? To them selling drugs is the easiest way to make money for their suffering families - for example in countries where you have to pay for healthcare, someone in their family could be ill. And they pay for that healthcare with the only way they know how to.
Original post by Rainfall
MARTIN LUTHER KING DID NOT DIE FOR THIS omg

Care to elaborate? :smile:
Original post by Ara2,
Humans

lol true
bump
Biggest problems? False Flags and fake news. They have been going on since the beginning of time but its got to a point now where mainstream news is becoming "fake".
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
DISCLAIMER: lol this is just a POV and a counter argument. I totally agree with you. Your point is extremely valid. Bullying thugs and abusive liars are disgusting. And it's crazy how people witness crime and abuse happening to someone else all the time like in the streets, etc but never help. They don't care. As long as its not happening to them. It's honestly disgusting. My below point is specifically about Drug dealers and drug criminals.

But then could you not counter this (your particualr statement/phrase about 'habitual criminals':wink: with don’t blame the person, blame society, parenting, education and laws. You could say some habitual criminals like drug dealers are forced into this from a very young age because it's the only way for them to provide for their suffering families who aren't so well of. And you could argue that there are better ways to earn money but that may be because you know those ways. You may have been given the opportunities and the education but to them, drugs could be all they know- the society they were brought up in could have a great influence upon them. What else could they turn to? To them selling drugs is the easiest way to make money for their suffering families - for example in countries where you have to pay for healthcare, someone in their family could be ill. And they pay for that healthcare with the only way they know how to.

I've crossed paths with quite a few class a drug dealers and burglars.
Most of them were making a lot of money £700 + a day, plus breaking other laws whenever it suited them.
All but one had unpleasant attitudes not connected with their crimes.
A lot of them liked the criminal lifestyle, had massive cash savings and could have stopped selling drugs.

Many said that they felt all powerful, walking around doing anything they felt like as if all laws just didn't apply to them.
Few of them were drug users, most had never tried anything harder than cannabis and a few of them had low opinions of their "junkie customers".
A lot of them had law abiding mothers and other family members staunchly opposed to drugs- who they had utter contempt for and avoided seeing in case they "grassed them up to the cops".
a stiffnecked people
Authoritarianism
Overpopulation- the source of many of the other problems we have. The aging population, starvation in 3rd world countries, overproduction in developed countries, problems with the environment, the rising unemployment and increasing strain on the NHS- imo they can all be attributed in some way to overpopulation.

Quick Reply