The Student Room Group

Suffering from loneliness

Hello All,
I am a new student who started his PhD studies at the University of Salford four months ago (September, 2018).

My story in short is that I am suffering from loneliness. I have no friends, tried using dating/meeting people apps but it's useless.

You are going to laugh at me, but I have never been to Manchester City Centre
I really don't know anything here.
Four months passed on me and I am dying each day trying to find friends but as I said nothing is working with me.

Please guys help me,and please any comments that says join societies or try dating apps, don't mention it because they are USELESS.

Would someone on this website be interested in meeting me.
I know that I will look a weirdo to all of you, but believe me people I am desperate and depressed.

I hope none of you one day will be in my situation because believe me no one can handle what I have been through.

Thank you very much for reading my post and I hope someone can help me.
phD no friends, what??
phD means you're mid 20s or older most likely, what happened to the last 10 yrs bruh???
unattractive, social disorder, what? im mid 20s and havent been able to put my phone down the past 10 hrs cos of texting lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
phD no friends, what??
phD means you're mid 20s or older most likely, what happened to the last 10 yrs bruh???
unattractive, social disorder, what? im mid 20s and havent been able to put my phone down the past 10 hrs cos of texting lol

The difference between you and me is that I am an internatinal student.
If I was born here and finished my school, college/university from here then i'll be like you!
Original post by abcde-12345
The difference between you and me is that I am an internatinal student.
If I was born here and finished my school, college/university from here then i'll be like you!

dont you yell at me, thats why i asked!

what country you from??
Original post by Bang Outta Order
dont you yell at me, thats why i asked!

what country you from??

I'm not trying to disrespect or being impolite to you, I'm just telling you my situation.

I'm from Jordan.
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way that you can join a club, or maybe another class? You'll at least meet people there for sure.
Or if not you can try talking to people in your same class, maybe starting with small talk.
Reply 6
If I was in Manchester I would definitely meet up with you...how about being pen pals? I could email you once a week and you could write back to me about your week - how does that sound?

Don't worry, just focus on doing what makes you happy, walks in the park, watching TV etc...
Reply 7
advice- dont jump into a relationship just because you're lonely, many people would take advantage of that. I don't think a dating app is the best way to go about this, you sound like you need a friend to vent to, not a romantic relationship.
there's a large arab community in manchester too, running all sorts of things from mosques to kebab shops. you'll feel welcome
Original post by flashbashstudy
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way that you can join a club, or maybe another class? You'll at least meet people there for sure.
Or if not you can try talking to people in your same class, maybe starting with small talk.

As a PhD student, we don't have classes, because it's your own reseach that you work on.
Secondly, PhD students get a study space or a desk, unfortunately because of my great luck my desk is in a study room that I am alone in it!!
Original post by hello_shawn
there's a large arab community in manchester too, running all sorts of things from mosques to kebab shops. you'll feel welcome

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I know that, but were I live is very far from those areas.
For example like rushlme it's like edgware road full or middle eastern restaurants but as I said it's far from me!
Original post by ikra.m
advice- dont jump into a relationship just because you're lonely, many people would take advantage of that. I don't think a dating app is the best way to go about this, you sound like you need a friend to vent to, not a romantic relationship.

Thank you for your 2 comments
Yes I really need a trusted person to talk to.
I have suffered a lot from depression as I spend most of my time studying and sleeping!
Regarding being in a relation it's a bit difficult as I don't have good experience with English ladies!
I'm not trying to disrespect or being impolite to you, I'm just telling you my situation.

I'm from Jordan.

manchester is diverse and friendly though a bit pretentious in the city centre, still there's no excuse for this. you are in a phd program, this means you did years at uni and a master's. you had 6 years to find yourself. not even back home do you have friends?? you havent even been to city centre, that's on you. just go, sight see, dont be sat in feeling sorry for yourself. go out now, get off here and go out since thats what you wanna do, i personally am just too skint to go out lol
Original post by flashbashstudy

Original post by hello_shawn

lol thats what im saying
I made a mistake by posting this!
I made a mistake by posting this!

Not really. We're just trying to be helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending