The Student Room Group

2018: A Review - Most Shocking Deaths of the Year

2018: A Review

As we've now passed into 2019, and we continue to look back at 2018 and the many important events that happened, it seems only right to look back at those who were sadly lost during the year.

Some of these include, though there were many others:

Dame June Whitfield, comedic actress famous for her roles in the Carry On films, Absolutely Fabulous, and many others.

George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of the USA, and the first vice-president to have been elected president for 150 years.

John Bluthal, best known for playing Frank Pickle in The Vicar of Dibley.

Stan Lee, American creator of comic book superheroes Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and the Hulk.

Burt Reynolds, star of hundreds of films and tv series, this actor and director was one of Hollywood’s most known stars.

Rachael Bland, BBC Radio 5 Live newsreader and presenter, highly praised for documenting her life with cancer, both on her blog and on the podcast You, Me, and The Big C.

Kofi Annan, Former UN secretary general and Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, and an icon of the US civil rights movement.

Barry Chuckle, half of the comedic duo known as The Chuckle Brothers.

Ellie Soutter, a Team GB snowboarder who sadly took her own life at 18.

Tim Burgling aka Avicii, a Swedish artist known for songs including Hey Bother. He had retired from live performances in 2016 due to health problems.

Dale Winton, TV presenter, known for shows including Hole in the Wall.

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, ex-wife of Nelson Mandela. Served as a Member of Parliament from 1994-2003, and 2009-2018, as well as being deputy minister of arts and culture from 1994-1996.

Professor Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist and author, and one of the most popular scientists of his time.

John Young, walked on the moon during Apollo 16, the ninth of just twelve people to do so.

Emma Chambers, who played Alice Tinker in Vicar of Dibley.

With all these and many more, what do you think were the most shocking deaths of 2018 and why? Which do you think will have the most lasting impact into 2019 and beyond?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
RIP stephen hillenburg, he wasn't that old and I didn't know he had ALS so it was a shock.
Mac Miller, XXXTentacion and Avicii because they were so young
Original post by GlockInmyRari
Mac Miller, XXXTentacion and Avicii because they were so young

Definitely agree with this :frown:

Ellie Soutter was a shocking one for me too, probably the youngest on the list in the OP by a fair margin. Very sad news.
Barry Chuckle shocked a lot of people my age in this country at least. :sad:

Worldwide, I think Stan Lee's and Aretha Franklin's deaths possibly some of the most influential globally to be lost this year.:rip:
Original post by shadowdweller

2018: A Review

As we've now passed into 2019, and we continue to look back at 2018 and the many important events that happened, it seems only right to look back at those who were sadly lost during the year.

[*]George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of the USA, and the first vice-president to have been elected president for 150 years.

Apart from Nixon
Johnson
Truman
Coolidge and
Theodore Roosevelt
Original post by nulli tertius
Apart from Nixon
Johnson
Truman
Coolidge and
Theodore Roosevelt
Truman was acting president before he was elected, due to Roosevelts death. Same goes for LBJ.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
With Stephen Hawking it's a bit weird - I think because he'd been so close to death for the past few decades, everybody had gotten used to it. So it was a surprise when he actually died.
That one was probably the saddest for me - given that he wasn't retired at all, he was still working on scientific papers, books and research right up until his death.
Original post by nulli tertius
Apart from Nixon
Johnson
Truman
Coolidge and
Theodore Roosevelt

:teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending