The Student Room Group

History or Biology?

Hello!

I am currently in year 11, a few months away from my GCSE's. My school would like us to fill out a form on what subjects we would like to take for A levels, but I am struggling to decide between History and Biology. I am pursuing a career in acting, so I am definitely going to be studying Drama and English Literature. I have also chosen psychology for my third choice.

On one hand, History would be helpful for providing extra context for Drama and English Literature. I do enjoy learning the facts, but not so much the essays or coursework. In my mocks, I achieve a grade 6 and I am predicted to have a 7/8 in my GCSEs.

On the other hand, Biology would most definitely come in handy for Psychology, and my plan B in my career path is to become a nurse. I enjoy both the essays and the coursework. In my mocks, I achieved a grade 6 and I am still predicted to have a grade 6 in my GCSEs.

I have asked my family members, friends and teachers for their advice on my decision, but I get varied answers. Perhaps someone who has studied either or both could let me know a little more about the subjects in the comments?

What do you think, History or Biology?

Thank you!
Torrance
Original post by TorranceMcVeigh
Hello!

I am currently in year 11, a few months away from my GCSE's. My school would like us to fill out a form on what subjects we would like to take for A levels, but I am struggling to decide between History and Biology. I am pursuing a career in acting, so I am definitely going to be studying Drama and English Literature. I have also chosen psychology for my third choice.

On one hand, History would be helpful for providing extra context for Drama and English Literature. I do enjoy learning the facts, but not so much the essays or coursework. In my mocks, I achieve a grade 6 and I am predicted to have a 7/8 in my GCSEs.

On the other hand, Biology would most definitely come in handy for Psychology, and my plan B in my career path is to become a nurse. I enjoy both the essays and the coursework. In my mocks, I achieved a grade 6 and I am still predicted to have a grade 6 in my GCSEs.

I have asked my family members, friends and teachers for their advice on my decision, but I get varied answers. Perhaps someone who has studied either or both could let me know a little more about the subjects in the comments?

Thank you!
Torrance

So this is a 4th A level? Whichever is easiest or you enjoy. It doesnt matter tbh. If your plan B is nursing or health related then Biology as that will get you past entrance requirements.

You sound unsuited to A level History its all essays and opinion plus there is a high workload. If you arent interested you could find it dull and overwhelming.
Yes, I am considering it as my 4th choice. Thank you for your reply, I do find it really helpful!
Reply 3
To keep nursing open to you you might need biology so probably take that. Those four do sound like a lot of work though so maybe consider if you definitely want to do all the other three.

However, I do biology and psychology and there isn't much overlap to be honest, at least not for my exam boards, so don't do it for that reason. Also it is a lot harder than gcse and a grade 6 might just be on the edge of the grade requirements to do it. Not to put you off haha, just sime things to think about.

It doesn't necessarily sound like you really want to do history, although the A level I find is more like English literature in terms of analysis and exam questions and it's a lot more opinion based which I like. Also you are predicted a higher grade which would help.

Sorry if I haven't really helped you decide, but hopefully I've given you some things to think about :smile:
Original post by ella.n.
To keep nursing open to you you might need biology so probably take that. Those four do sound like a lot of work though so maybe consider if you definitely want to do all the other three.

However, I do biology and psychology and there isn't much overlap to be honest, at least not for my exam boards, so don't do it for that reason. Also it is a lot harder than gcse and a grade 6 might just be on the edge of the grade requirements to do it. Not to put you off haha, just sime things to think about.

It doesn't necessarily sound like you really want to do history, although the A level I find is more like English literature in terms of analysis and exam questions and it's a lot more opinion based which I like. Also you are predicted a higher grade which would help.

Sorry if I haven't really helped you decide, but hopefully I've given you some things to think about :smile:

Thank you for the reply! It was very handy, I’ve actually been discussing your points with my mum. I think I have come to the conclusion that I would like to do history thanks you yours and another’s reply.
Reply 5
Thank you for the reply! It was very handy, I’ve actually been discussing your points with my mum. I think I have come to the conclusion that I would like to do history thanks you yours and another’s reply.

Ah great! Glad I helped! And remember even if you start to have doubts, you can always change subjects in the first few weeks of 6th form :smile:
Reply 6
I do biology, and its ****ing difficult. You can not get away with doing no work, and even the smartest people i know can't seem to get an A* in tests.
Original post by Smartin5
I do biology, and its ****ing difficult. You can not get away with doing no work, and even the smartest people i know can't seem to get an A* in tests.

Ah, I see. Well thank you, I have now chosen History! Good luck in your biology exams, they sound pretty sucky but I’m sure you can achieve what you want.
Based on your choices it seems that you're more into the humanities. I'd say go for history if you feel comfortable with essay writing. Biology, for a person who isn't all that much into science, doesn't tend to be worth it. I take bio and even though it is quite interesting it's just SO MUCH memorizing it gets very tiring and monotonous. I wish I took history and I know many others who struggle with motivation in biology despite having good grades in other subjects.
However, if you treat the possibility of pursuing a career in health seriously, keeping the option open by taking biology would be a smart idea. Just keep in mind that you need to put in a lot of time and effort into it to get high grades.
Let me know if you have any further questions!
Thank you loads Marianne, your reply was so detailed which is very handy! I have decided on taking history now, so thank you very much!
Thank you loads Marianne, your reply was so detailed which is very handy! I have decided on taking history now, so thank you very much!

I'm glad I could be of help:smile: Good luck with your subjects!
Hello!

Thank you!
Torrance

as someone who did a degree in biology it would be ludicrous to pick it. you can be a bloody nurse without biology.

Quick Reply

Latest