The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Dissertation binding-what type of binding

So I've completed my dissertation and need to bind it but tutors haven't told us how it should be bound ie with comb binder, they just said we need to hand in a binded hard copy but I'm confused. I'm assuming it's a comb binder and have everything I need, I won't have enough time to get any other kind of binding done with a week left for hand in. Will I fail if I hand in my dissertation bound with a comb binder if they're expecting some other binding?
I can't imagine you would fail if you used the wrong binding - and if they felt they would fail you for that then they need to have specified what sort of binding to use. Why not flash your tutor an email and tell him you have comb bound it and is that OK?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by s817
So I've completed my dissertation and need to bind it but tutors haven't told us how it should be bound ie with comb binder, they just said we need to hand in a binded hard copy but I'm confused. I'm assuming it's a comb binder and have everything I need, I won't have enough time to get any other kind of binding done with a week left for hand in. Will I fail if I hand in my dissertation bound with a comb binder if they're expecting some other binding?

I am a little perplexed how someone capable of producing a 10000+ word dissertation is unable to obtain the format rules, look on the website or ask the department.

The comb binding is fine.

Make sure it complies with the rest of the formatting rules.

http://libanswers.bcu.ac.uk/faq/129420
Reply 3
It'd usually be in your student handbook and/or library website, also departmental intranet in both institutions that I work for.
Original post by 999tigger
I am a little perplexed how someone capable of producing a 10000+ word dissertation is unable to.........

This basically sums up my feeling when reading a whole heap of threads on TSR!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
It'd usually be in your student handbook and/or library website, also departmental intranet in both institutions that I work for.

The student handbook for my course does not mention anything about dissertation and the library website only helps with the writing part, there's no mention of binding requirements. the website for the print centre at the university who offers a binding service only gives requirements for the dissertation document for printing which they also provide and they say what kind of binding and printing they offer but nowhere does it say what type of binding a dissertation should be. It's really stupid, the tutors should be clear on what type of binding it should be, they've just told us they want a binded hard copy plus an online copy and the brief is the same.
Original post by Simbasoul
This basically sums up my feeling when reading a whole heap of threads on TSR!!!!

You would surely have the format rules available before you started writing or at least by the time you were drafting and formatting. You will have spent weeks. months on your mini masterpiece, so not the time to have a hiccup.

If I was denied all the above suggestions I could always ask the digital print services what other students use or observe what people on the same course were doing. Comb binding is fine as the examiners may want to break it open whereas a hard bound copy in a fact book cant be split easily.

I did find the format rules for thesis which makes this point.

Its from 2009 but I cant imagine it will have changed much. Obviously check.

Higher Degrees by Research (MPhil, PhD)

Guidance Notes on the Submission of a Thesis for Examination

1. The thesis must be presented in English.

2. The thesis should be submitted in a secure (i.e. so that pages will not be easily removed), but not permanent, form of binding. Spiral and "perfect" binding are both acceptable forms of binding for the examination. You are strongly advised not to submit the thesis in a permanent/hard bound format for the examination. This makes the thesis less convenient for the examiners to handle and if amendments are required to the thesis after the viva this will be more difficult and costly.

3. The cover or the title page should clearly state the student’s name, the thesis title, the degree for which it is submitted and the month/year. Where there is more than one volume, each volume should clearly display this information.

4. The thesis should include a statement of the student’s objectives and must acknowledge published or other sources of material consulted (including an appropriate bibliography) and any assistance received.

5. There should be an abstract (of approximately 300 words) bound into the front of the thesis which provides a synopsis of the thesis stating the nature and scope of the work undertaken and of the contribution made to the knowledge of the subject treated.

6. Where a student's research programme is part of a collaborative group project, the thesis must indicate clearly the candidate's individual contribution and the extent of the collaboration.

7. The copyright of the thesis is vested in the student. Any variation must be codified in

written agreement and must be notified to the RDC at the time of initial application.

8. The student is free to publish material in advance of submission of the thesis but reference must be made to any such work in the thesis. Copies of published material should either be bound in with the thesis or placed in an adequately secured pocket at the end of the thesis.

9. While theses are normally in A4 format, the RDC may give permission for a thesis to be submitted in another format where it is satisfied that the contents of the thesis can be better expressed in that format.

10. The text of the thesis should not normally exceed the following length (excluding ancillary data):

For MPhil 40,000 words

For PhD 80,000 words

11. The student must submit a Candidate’s Declaration Form (available from the Research Degrees Officer) one copy of which they should complete, sign and submit at the same time as the thesis.

12. The thesis may be printed on one side of the paper or on both sides of the paper. Where both sides of the paper are used, the paper must be sufficiently opaque to avoid show through.

13. Double or one-and-a-half spacing must be used in typescript except for indented quotations or footnotes where single spacing may be used.

14. Pages shall be numbered consecutively through the main text including photographs and/or diagrams which are included as whole pages.

15. Where a student submits creative work that cannot be bound into the thesis or stored in a pocket attached to the inside back cover of the thesis, then the material should be gathered into another volume and stored in a rigid container of the same size as that of the bound thesis.

16. The required number of copies of the thesis (clarification can be obtained from the RDO but normally sufficient for each Examiner and the Independent Chair) should be submitted to the secretary to URDC / Research Degrees Officer, Academic Registry. The thesis will be dispatched to the examiners by the Research Degrees Officer as soon as possible after submission. However, it cannot be sent to examiners until their appointment has been approved by the University’s Research Degrees Committee.

Beccy Boydell

Research Degrees Officer

Academic Registry
Reply 7
Original post by s817
The student handbook for my course does not mention anything about dissertation and the library website only helps with the writing part, there's no mention of binding requirements. the website for the print centre at the university who offers a binding service only gives requirements for the dissertation document for printing which they also provide and they say what kind of binding and printing they offer but nowhere does it say what type of binding a dissertation should be. It's really stupid, the tutors should be clear on what type of binding it should be, they've just told us they want a binded hard copy plus an online copy and the brief is the same.

You should bring it up iin an official capacity - I know where I work will hammer you if you hand it in bound wrongly. I gave all mine to the library and paid a couple of quid to have the departmental librarian do it for me, no bother. Did the same with my PhD thesis, cuts out the stress and potential of it going tits up. Does your library offer that service?
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
You should bring it up iin an official capacity - I know where I work will hammer you if you hand it in bound wrongly. I gave all mine to the library and paid a couple of quid to have the departmental librarian do it for me, no bother. Did the same with my PhD thesis, cuts out the stress and potential of it going tits up. Does your library offer that service?

I think they have binding machines where we can bind ourselves but the print centre can do it for you. The only problem with the print centre is that you have to book in weeks before you need it bound which I didn't do incase I hadn't completed writing it by then so I have to bind it myself now. I have a binding machine at home but I'm not sure if tutors want a spiral/comb binding or paperback or some other type of binding.
Reply 9
Original post by s817
I think they have binding machines where we can bind ourselves but the print centre can do it for you. The only problem with the print centre is that you have to book in weeks before you need it bound which I didn't do incase I hadn't completed writing it by then so I have to bind it myself now. I have a binding machine at home but I'm not sure if tutors want a spiral/comb binding or paperback or some other type of binding.

That is mad, where I did my degrees we can rock up at any time and give it to them to do, and the wait is from 20 minutes to a day at most (if they have loads to do)!
Reply 10
I am a little perplexed how someone capable of producing a 10000 word dissertation is unable to obtain the format rules, look on the website or ask the department.

The comb binding is fine.

Make sure it complies with the rest of the formatting rules.

http://libanswers.bcu.ac.uk/faq/129420

It's actually 6,000 words, 10,000 is for MA students which I'm not. I will probably just comb bind it because I haven't got the time for any other type of binding which would have to be done professionally and booked in advance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
That is mad, where I did my degrees we can rock up at any time and give it to them to do, and the wait is from 20 minutes to a day at most (if they have loads to do)!

If only this uni was like that.
Original post by s817
It's actually 6,000 words, 10,000 is for MA students which I'm not. I will probably just comb bind it because I haven't got the time for any other type of binding which would have to be done professionally and booked in advance.

If you arent sure then just ask.
Any other type of binding is likely to be wrong and you will see your classmates use comb imo. At 6,000 words its more an extended essay.
Reply 13
You would surely have the format rules available before you started writing or at least by the time you were drafting and formatting. You will have spent weeks. months on your mini masterpiece, so not the time to have a hiccup.

If I was denied all the above suggestions I could always ask the digital print services what other students use or observe what people on the same course were doing. Comb binding is fine as the examiners may want to break it open whereas a hard bound copy in a fact book cant be split easily.

I did find the format rules for thesis which makes this point.

Its from 2009 but I cant imagine it will have changed much. Obviously check.

Higher Degrees by Research (MPhil, PhD)

Guidance Notes on the Submission of a Thesis for Examination

1. The thesis must be presented in English.

2. The thesis should be submitted in a secure (i.e. so that pages will not be easily removed), but not permanent, form of binding. Spiral and "perfect" binding are both acceptable forms of binding for the examination. You are strongly advised not to submit the thesis in a permanent/hard bound format for the examination. This makes the thesis less convenient for the examiners to handle and if amendments are required to the thesis after the viva this will be more difficult and costly.

3. The cover or the title page should clearly state the student’s name, the thesis title, the degree for which it is submitted and the month/year. Where there is more than one volume, each volume should clearly display this information.

4. The thesis should include a statement of the student’s objectives and must acknowledge published or other sources of material consulted (including an appropriate bibliography) and any assistance received.

5. There should be an abstract (of approximately 300 words) bound into the front of the thesis which provides a synopsis of the thesis stating the nature and scope of the work undertaken and of the contribution made to the knowledge of the subject treated.

6. Where a student's research programme is part of a collaborative group project, the thesis must indicate clearly the candidate's individual contribution and the extent of the collaboration.

7. The copyright of the thesis is vested in the student. Any variation must be codified in

written agreement and must be notified to the RDC at the time of initial application.

8. The student is free to publish material in advance of submission of the thesis but reference must be made to any such work in the thesis. Copies of published material should either be bound in with the thesis or placed in an adequately secured pocket at the end of the thesis.

9. While theses are normally in A4 format, the RDC may give permission for a thesis to be submitted in another format where it is satisfied that the contents of the thesis can be better expressed in that format.

10. The text of the thesis should not normally exceed the following length (excluding ancillary data):

For MPhil 40,000 words

For PhD 80,000 words

11. The student must submit a Candidate’s Declaration Form (available from the Research Degrees Officer) one copy of which they should complete, sign and submit at the same time as the thesis.

12. The thesis may be printed on one side of the paper or on both sides of the paper. Where both sides of the paper are used, the paper must be sufficiently opaque to avoid show through.

13. Double or one-and-a-half spacing must be used in typescript except for indented quotations or footnotes where single spacing may be used.

14. Pages shall be numbered consecutively through the main text including photographs and/or diagrams which are included as whole pages.

15. Where a student submits creative work that cannot be bound into the thesis or stored in a pocket attached to the inside back cover of the thesis, then the material should be gathered into another volume and stored in a rigid container of the same size as that of the bound thesis.

16. The required number of copies of the thesis (clarification can be obtained from the RDO but normally sufficient for each Examiner and the Independent Chair) should be submitted to the secretary to URDC / Research Degrees Officer, Academic Registry. The thesis will be dispatched to the examiners by the Research Degrees Officer as soon as possible after submission. However, it cannot be sent to examiners until their appointment has been approved by the University’s Research Degrees Committee.

Beccy Boydell

Research Degrees Officer

Academic Registry

Thanks but we were given the layout/format by tutors ages ago, it's not the written part they haven't told us about, it is the binding which they've been very vague about. Plus no one else on the same course has bounded theirs yet, everyone is still writing because we've got a week left before hand in. I wrote the majority of mine during the Christmas break as I don't celebrate Christmas unlike most of the students on my course.
Reply 14
If you arent sure then just ask.
Any other type of binding is likely to be wrong and you will see your classmates use comb imo. At 6,000 words its more an extended essay.

Your probably right, I'll just comb bind it and ask other students how they are binding it.
Original post by s817

Ive given you the link, just go and use the machine like most other students will be doing and it will be done by you in minutes at a time of your convenience.
Reply 16
Ive given you the link, just go and use the machine like most other students will be doing and it will be done by you in minutes at a time of your convenience.

We've just been told by a tutor that we can use any type of binding we want so I'm going to use the binding machine I have at home to comb bind it as I originally planned.
still confused for it I can guide you accordingly...
Reply 18
Original post by Emmily Watson
still confused for it I can guide you accordingly...

Too late, already handed in and graded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending