The Student Room Group

A level biology genetics help!

Hi guys i've recieved this homework on genetics for A level biology and its really hard!!!

Labrador dogs vary in the colours of their coats. The most familiar colours are black or yellow (golden). Chocolate (brown) is slightly less common and the rarest of all combines different colours in patches and is called brindled.
Coat colour is controlled by alleles at two loci.
The colour locus alleles are B (black), br (brindled) and b (chocolate). The dominance hierarchy is B > br > b.
The second locus has two alleles. E allows expression of the colour locus so that dark hairs develop. Its recessive counterpart prevents the expression of dark hairs so the coat colour remains yellow.
A family tree of some Labradors is shown in Figure 1.

1) Identify the pattern of genetic inheritance shown by :
a) the coat colour locus
b) the action of locus E

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by DankoMan
Hi guys i've recieved this homework on genetics for A level biology and its really hard!!!

Labrador dogs vary in the colours of their coats. The most familiar colours are black or yellow (golden). Chocolate (brown) is slightly less common and the rarest of all combines different colours in patches and is called brindled.
The colour locus alleles are B (black), br (brindled) and b (chocolate). The dominance hierarchy is B > br > b.
The second locus has two alleles. E allows expression of the colour locus so that dark hairs develop. Its recessive counterpart prevents the expression of dark hairs so the coat colour remains yellow.

a) the coat colour locus
b) the action of locus E

Many thanks!

LOL i forgot to attach Figure 1 here it is
pedigree tree.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by DankoMan

a) the coat colour locus
b) the action of locus E

Many thanks!

LOL i forgot to attach Figure 1 here it is
pedigree tree.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest