The Student Room Group

A Little More Room to Grow, Maybe?

So...how to grow my grades, huh? Well...

A Little About Me:

Hi, I'm Yasmine, and welcome to my little blog!

I recently moved into Year 12, and boy has it been a drastic change! I literally already feel exhausted. I started the new academic year ready to feel motivated, since my GCSE grades weren’t exactly what I desired to achieve. To be frank...let’s just say I’ve been lazing around more than I thought had intended! :mmm:

I know y'all are curious, cause who wouldn’t be? Here are my GCSE grades:

Spoiler

I currently study...

A-Level Psychology: AQA

A-Level Religion, Philosophy & Ethics: AQA

A-Level English Literature: OCR

What Are My Targets/Goals?

My Predicted Target Grades currently are A*AA.

Yup, exactly.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THAT?!

To be honest with you, I don’t really know T_T I do, however, desire to achieve A*A*A* or A*A*A! :daydreaming:

I plan on going to a Russell Group University to pursue either an English Literature Degree or a Law degree.

I would love to apply to Oxford University, however the doubt within me is giving me the jitters! I have my eyes set on UCLthough :wink:

You’re probably wondering what I want to do after everything, and to be fairly honest with you, I’m not really sure :unsure: - okay, this is not a jokey matter but I’d rather laugh than cry because positivity is key to get through life! And apparently 6th Form :smile:

I’ve went from wanting to be a veterinarian, to an English Teacher, to a Lawyer and a GP: with that my A-Levels have also changed- from Biology & Chemistry, to History & Maths and the courses I currently take...yes I know, I do not know how to choose A-Levels! :laugh:

I’m so indecisive because I know I would eventually get bored of the job I’m doing, and there are endless occupations I can uptake however I just don’t have the money or time to pursue them. I know.

[scroll]:bricks:I’m in a sticky situation. :bricks:[/scroll]

Tracking My progress:

My 6th Form has strived to do 2 tests each half term, per teacher, per subject; that’s 6 tests in one half term!

It can be a very useful technique as you are able to test your knowledge once on the topic you’ve been learning have have time to consolidate it by the second test. You can also record your test grades and use it as a motivator to do better and revise the content you are struggling in.

So far I have received (some tests are combined with both teachers)...

Spoiler

Yeah, that looks like how I try to bake cookies- shambles! I will try to post my future grades from my future tests, so stay active! :wink:

My Study Space:
Enough chit chat about grades and the future because that kinda scares me! :s: Onto how I organise everything because I’m a neat freak...

I like to work in a visually simple environment because it helps me relax more as well as concentrate. This is how my current study desk looks like (December 2018)...

Spoiler

•To my right I have: my laptop; a desk-lamp for extra light to concentrate.
•At the centre I have: a folder; my pencil case and a notebook for extra notes or important information I need to hold.

I know, really simple right?! Let’s see how it’ll change throughout the year :laugh:

How I Organise My Studies:

This can essentially fall under the section of how I study, so if you are looking for that- voilà!

I use folders to separate the work for each of my three subjects, usually using the dividers to separate the different components vital for my understanding of the subject and my grades to help me be in check and organised with my work.

•I usually put my Target Sheet first to remind me of my grades as a motivator, as seen below:

Spoiler

•I then have a section for all of my class tests to monitor my mistakes and improve further:

Spoiler

•Next, I have a section for all of my homework, just to see how my quality of work done at home has improved :smile: :

Spoiler

•I then divide my body dividers into 6 sections- 3 are for the three school terms for one teacher, and the other 3 sections are for the three academic terms for my other teacher:

Spoiler

•Finally, I write my notes!

Spoiler

I currently use the traditional way of studying with notes, however I plan on taking up other ways to revise and memorise the content for my subjects, so hang in there with me as I go through my journey! :s

So, How Am I Feeling?

(December 2018)
I have generalised anxiety as well as obsessive comuplsive disorder and social anxiety so it can be a real challenge for when i need help but..just...can't ask for it, especially since it is a new year at a new school. Everyone and everything seems so intimidating! I have literally gone through several breakdowns already, because I feel like I’ve lost motivation or that I am not good enough for the subjects I am doing. I feel like I am the worst student in my classes soI put little effort into my subjects even though I should put more, and I have felt like a failure- a pathetic waste of space to be frank.

However, I am determined to improve and try to be the best I can be, because everyone deserves a chance!

I will try to update once a month to track my journey and progress! So stay active :woo:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best of luck! :rave:
Reply 2
Original post by nyxnko_
Best of luck! :rave:

Thank you so much!
Good luck with year 12!:biggrin: It goes by so fast! :o:eek:
Reply 4
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Good luck with year 12!:biggrin: It goes by so fast! :o:eek:

Thank you! Everyone is saying that to me but I’m not readyyy :s-smilie:
How do you plan on going to Imperial if they offer neither of the courses you would like to do?
Reply 6
Original post by hewgcrusty
How do you plan on going to Imperial if they offer neither of the courses you would like to do?

Because I was considering taking up a biological degree due to having a fourth subject of Biology as Imperial is an amazing uni, however it slipped my mind that I dropped the subject this term and won’t be doing it again. Sorry if that confused you.
Good luck! <3 How are you finding Eng Lit?
Reply 8
Original post by froggi.png
Good luck! <3 How are you finding Eng Lit?

Thank you! :hugs: It’s going pretty well, and the books are really enjoyable. However my teachers say that no one can get above 22 marks because we can only start comparing texts next year so it can be a bit frustrating.
Original post by a.yasminne
Thank you! :hugs: It’s going pretty well, and the books are really enjoyable. However my teachers say that no one can get above 22 marks because we can only start comparing texts next year so it can be a bit frustrating.

What books are you studying?
Reply 10
Original post by froggi.png
What books are you studying?

The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein, The Duchess of Malfi, Paradise Lost and The Tempest
What is wrong with your face?
Reply 12
Original post by Vinny C
What is wrong with your face?

Lol it’s not my face, it’s a meme pic.
I am so trying to get a link to a song... in the back of my mind
This one... I could grow a little bigger, maybe that could be my goal. They don't write songs like this anymore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg

Now... all ***** jumping around with floozies going on about Adam's Yo-Yo or Peter's train set or something. And they ask where it went wrong?
Reply 16
January

Week 1
(Tuesday 1st January- Tuesday 8th January)
So, I thought I’d stroll into the new year with high hopes I will take studying seriously; I would do my best to read around my subject and do extra work. However, that was not the case!

I was so unbothered and not ready to go back to school. My sleeping pattern has been messed up, and I’m oh so tired- all the time! I’ve been so lazy lately and I hate it! I started watching Netflix series to subconsciously avoid studying, and it’s so bad! I don’t know what’s wrong with me :frown:

My friends have been so motivated and are studying in their free periods by going up to the library or study area, however I waste my time on reading or catching up on my missed tv shows. I feel really crappy, but it’s like I’m missing this pull of energy and motivation inside of me, and I’m just so listeless.

I’ve tried a new studying method though, to try and get me motivated: revision notes. I condense heavy amounts of information on small cards:

Spoiler

I may consider doing flashcards in the future, but I’m not sure yet. I’m still experimenting with my style of studying.

My school has also recently made it obligatory to sign up to an enrichment program for 8 weeks, and they limited our options to 7 subjects! They are honestly so boring, and I’m a bit frustrated that they are forcing us to do that. I know they are trying to help us, but they have offered us the most uninteresting enrichment programs- and I’m not the only person who thinks the same! I put my name down for an English program of journalism because that was the only option they had based around my subject, and it’s not even what I want to go into.

Well, that’s all that has happened this hectic week, I’ll update soon! See ya :kiss:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hope that studying method works!
Reply 18
Original post by Obolinda
Hope that studying method works!

Thank you! I hope so too :h:
I love your handwiritng!:colondollar: honestly, if you feel demotivated and what to chill then give yourself a day or two -particularly if you feel knackered. sometimes just guilt tripping yourself when you're relaxing can make you feel worse :redface: maybe make a checklist? either way, good luck on your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending