The Student Room Group

Friends Help or not + A Level

Hi, I am in year 11 and am going to do a levels. I will most likely stay at my current school because i have pretty good teachers. But i am not sure. Mostly because I have bad (?) "friends".
I am nice to everyone and now that everyone likes me but my close circle of friends don't feel like friend friends. They are friends, but I feel as though i'm just there and not really there.

For example, they just suddenly go somewhere during break and I'm left all alone looking for them. I ask why didn't you guys tell me and they're like I thought you knew. Other occasions, when I go off somewhere none of them ask me "Where'd you go?" but whenever one of them go somewhere I ask them. Also, I always wait behind for my "close friends" but none of them ever really wait for me???
I have around 5 good friends. But they're all the same. I don't really feel like i can relate to them. Like if i'm having problems at home, i don't feel like I can openly talk about it to anyone.
Also, they always look down at me during classwork, even though we're around the same. If I understand something I always go around helping. If they understand something that I don't none of them help me understand.
I just feel really lonely at times, like no one is there.
For example one of my friends (when we had the same career choice) were like i'm not gonna become a doctor anymore it takes too much time etc.... That seed sort of grew in my mind and now I don't wanna become a doctor.
Turns out that close friend wants to do it now. Hypocrite! Was he just saying that so I wouldn't become one. I'm 95% sure he was wanting to become a doctor the whole time.
None of them are really supportive towards me.
Another close (probably the best friend I have) sometimes just ignores me (not sure if intentional, i think his hearing sucks!). And then when I understand something in science and he doesn't I explain to him and he always assumes that I'm wrong. All the time!!! He is probably the most friendly to me, but still it's little thinks like that that make me question everyone.
Whenever I ask a question that they now the answer to but I don't in science they all just me that "Tut tut tut" or "U stoopid" look or they laugh.
Whenever I do something normal (like take a poo and they here the plop), they just tell everyone and they all just laugh at me.
Honestly, I don't think anyone really understands me or cares about me. I just get bored of them sometimes and they get bored of me. But I don't blame them I'm a pretty boring person.
Sometimes, I just feel invisible, like no one really sees or hears me.
Is it worth another 2 years in a level with them??? But I don't wanna move cuz i have great teachers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump I need help.
A levels can be a chance to branch and make new friends especially since you may not pick the same options or be in the same classes as these people.
Sometimes I find if you take a step back and continue doing your own thing without worrying about what your friends are doing you might find you get closer to different people you kinda forget are around you.
I do think its important to remember though you need to do the best thing for your education so if it’s a good school stay, you don’t have to be friends with them and you never know they might not end up staying.
Reply 3
Most of them will end up staying. I agree that education is more important but it's nice to have good friends that you know actually appreciate and care for you.
Thanks for helping
Are these people going to the same sixth form? If no, they you'll be fine don't worry too much about these type of 'friends'! You got 4 months and then you'll never see them again.

If they are not leaving then my friend find a new group or like i said before you only got 4 months till the end of this year then you can restart next year by making new friends
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
yh they are, sadly? (No not really)
Yes they are all coming here
Original post by Anonymous
Most of them will end up staying. I agree that education is more important but it's nice to have good friends that you know actually appreciate and care for you.
Thanks for helping

I know it may feel hard right now but you just need to sit tight and eventually you’ll find people that you click with and that genuinely care about you.
Are you going to be doing the same subjects?
Reply 8
Yes mostly, Ill be doing maths , theyll all do maths. half of them will be doing chemistry. 3 of them will be doing further maths like me and I'm not sure about my third subject yet.
yh they are, sadly? (No not really)
Yes they are all coming here

you need to confront them. Be honest with them, tell 'em the truth. If they don't really care then im sorry you'll need to get thicker skin and move on
Do what you feel is best for you and don't let those surround you dictate where your future will head.

If you have good teachers, you feel comfortable and confident, and you are willing to put the effort in at your current school, then stay. Those 3 elements will push you through the 2 years of your A-Levels and ensure that you leave with good grades feeling like you did your best.

Your social life is important to have as well during your next 2 years. It depends on the size of the school you attend but you'll find that if you proceed into the sixth form at your school that there is a lot less people. Less people means smaller classes etc. You'll find yourself talking to people you never have spoken to before and making friends with people who you wouldn't expect. It is important to surround yourself with people who encourage or force you to be the best you can. Doesn't mean surrounding yourself with the person with the best grades. Just make sure the people who you are friends with have good intentions and aren't trying to mess with you.
Yes mostly, Ill be doing maths , theyll all do maths. half of them will be doing chemistry. 3 of them will be doing further maths like me and I'm not sure about my third subject yet.

That sucks :frown: just hope you might not end up in the same class or try sitting next to someone new
Original post by alice0502
That sucks :frown: just hope you might not end up in the same class or try sitting next to someone new

I'm sure I can sit by myself

Original post by Jack Harvey
Do what you feel is best for you and don't let those surround you dictate where your future will head.

If you have good teachers, you feel comfortable and confident, and you are willing to put the effort in at your current school, then stay. Those 3 elements will push you through the 2 years of your A-Levels and ensure that you leave with good grades feeling like you did your best.

Your social life is important to have as well during your next 2 years. It depends on the size of the school you attend but you'll find that if you proceed into the sixth form at your school that there is a lot less people. Less people means smaller classes etc. You'll find yourself talking to people you never have spoken to before and making friends with people who you wouldn't expect. It is important to surround yourself with people who encourage or force you to be the best you can. Doesn't mean surrounding yourself with the person with the best grades. Just make sure the people who you are friends with have good intentions and aren't trying to mess with you.

Your right, my school is tiny. Im afraid that my "friends" will be the only ones that do it with me. They're not really negative or anything, they just don't encourage me or anything or disturb me. They definately don't make me the best I can, I just feel left out of the friends circle.

Original post by sqrt of 5
you need to confront them. Be honest with them, tell 'em the truth. If they don't really care then im sorry you'll need to get thicker skin and move on

They're the onl decent people in my tiny school. If I confront, they won't understand. Thats what annoys me, they never understand.

Your right, my school is tiny. Im afraid that my "friends" will be the only ones that do it with me. They're not really negative or anything, they just don't encourage me or anything or disturb me. They definately don't make me the best I can, I just feel left out of the friends circle.

They're the onl decent people in my tiny school. If I confront, they won't understand. Thats what annoys me, they never understand.

you don't have to be alone. You said that you've got other friends, stick with them

Are there any other friend groups within your school that are staying in the sixth form? If there are, and they are a nice bunch of people, start to talk to them just every now and then. Find out if you have any similarities or anything. No harm in doing so.
Hi, I am in year 11 and am going to do a levels. I will most likely stay at my current school because i have pretty good teachers. But i am not sure. Mostly because I have bad (?) "friends".
I am nice to everyone and now that everyone likes me but my close circle of friends don't feel like friend friends. They are friends, but I feel as though i'm just there and not really there.

For example, they just suddenly go somewhere during break and I'm left all alone looking for them. I ask why didn't you guys tell me and they're like I thought you knew. Other occasions, when I go off somewhere none of them ask me "Where'd you go?" but whenever one of them go somewhere I ask them. Also, I always wait behind for my "close friends" but none of them ever really wait for me???
I have around 5 good friends. But they're all the same. I don't really feel like i can relate to them. Like if i'm having problems at home, i don't feel like I can openly talk about it to anyone.
Also, they always look down at me during classwork, even though we're around the same. If I understand something I always go around helping. If they understand something that I don't none of them help me understand.
I just feel really lonely at times, like no one is there.
For example one of my friends (when we had the same career choice) were like i'm not gonna become a doctor anymore it takes too much time etc.... That seed sort of grew in my mind and now I don't wanna become a doctor.
Turns out that close friend wants to do it now. Hypocrite! Was he just saying that so I wouldn't become one. I'm 95% sure he was wanting to become a doctor the whole time.
None of them are really supportive towards me.
Another close (probably the best friend I have) sometimes just ignores me (not sure if intentional, i think his hearing sucks!). And then when I understand something in science and he doesn't I explain to him and he always assumes that I'm wrong. All the time!!! He is probably the most friendly to me, but still it's little thinks like that that make me question everyone.
Whenever I ask a question that they now the answer to but I don't in science they all just me that "Tut tut tut" or "U stoopid" look or they laugh.
Whenever I do something normal (like take a poo and they here the plop), they just tell everyone and they all just laugh at me.
Honestly, I don't think anyone really understands me or cares about me. I just get bored of them sometimes and they get bored of me. But I don't blame them I'm a pretty boring person.
Sometimes, I just feel invisible, like no one really sees or hears me.
Is it worth another 2 years in a level with them??? But I don't wanna move cuz i have great teachers!

Listen mate if you can deal with it, deal with it. You’ll do a levels for 2 years and education is quite important here. I’m sure people from other schools will come to study at yours so you can always branch out and make new friends. If not, I’m sure other colleges don’t have bad teachers especially if it’s a good sixth form / college. Good luck , I know how you feel
Do you have alot of external students that come to your sixthform? If so then i suggest staying because everyones makes new friends in sixthform and internal and externals mix around, and hence you can make some new friends. Social life is important as well as academic life, it can make or break your experience with a levels. A good set of friends can be motivating during the stress of Alevel, and just a breather as you take your mind off any school related stuff. So if you're sixthform does not have an high intake of externals maybe move to a sixthform that is really good? They might also have good teachers there too.
Original post by Misaki24
So if you're sixthform does not have an high intake of externals maybe move to a sixthform that is really good? They might also have good teachers there too.

No, no one really wants to come to my school. I would leave but I have really good teachers and lately the A Level Results have been getting better. So I trust them. Furthermore, I'm not sure how other schools really operate, like how good the teachers are.

Original post by Calypso Xeno
Listen mate if you can deal with it, deal with it. You’ll do a levels for 2 years and education is quite important here. I’m sure people from other schools will come to study at yours so you can always branch out and make new friends. If not, I’m sure other colleges don’t have bad teachers especially if it’s a good sixth form / college. Good luck , I know how you feel

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Nice to know I wasn't the only one :smile:

Original post by Jack Harvey
Are there any other friend groups within your school that are staying in the sixth form? If there are, and they are a nice bunch of people, start to talk to them just every now and then. Find out if you have any similarities or anything. No harm in doing so.

Not really, we are a pretty small school. Other people aren't good influences either, drink, drugs, smoke all that stuff. Quite dodgy people. There are a few other people but fro another group I'd say I consider friends, but we don't really have much in common.

And then there's this one other kid who sits next to me in maths, chemistry, and physics. AND HES ALWAYS JUST WATCHING ME AND WHAT I'M DOING. Its not like he needs help or anything, just always watching me work! It really pisses me off. I tell him "Please stop", He's all upset like "When I do it to others they like it" and he stops for 2 mins, then continues. I would move from him in all lessons, because I really don't feel comfortable when people like him just watch what im doing, but there is no space in class. I'm gonna have to tell the teachers to move me somewhere, any other suggestions?

Back to the subject --> I've realised that I probably should stay despite the friends issue, although I hate it. I can't trust anyone there. After A Level probably gonna drop contact with all them if I still have to pretend to be happy. I'm not going to talk much to them. Not going to care or help them when they need it (because none of them appreciate my help). I think I can handle 2 years more. Hopefully. Damn, this really does suck.
Oh well, thanks for eveyone being here for me, You've all proven that you understand me more than the majority of my "friends". I really don't like them, now that I think of it.
I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and go on for another two years.
Ur welcome btw I’m a girl xd I know I talk like that but I’m a tomboy lol. I get you coz I know I have to put up with my friends too, well 1 in particular. I’m also in yr 11 and I’m gonna be starting college this year. You can pm me if u want
Original post by Calypso Xeno
Ur welcome btw I’m a girl xd I know I talk like that but I’m a tomboy lol. I get you coz I know I have to put up with my friends too, well 1 in particular. I’m also in yr 11 and I’m gonna be starting college this year. You can pm me if u want

Hi, sorry for saying "guy" lol. Thanks for helping :smile: Good Luck. Nice to know I;m not the only one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending