The Student Room Group

What a levels to choose for accounting and finance and law?

Hi, I'm in year 11, and I don't know what to choose for my a-levels. Im thinking about doing either an accounting and finance degree or a law degree at uni but I can't decide!!!!!

My options are:
Maths
Classical Civilisations
Government and Politics (drop this at AS if I decide to do accounting and finance)
Economics (drop this at AS if I decide to do law)

I've read that history is good for law but I didn't take for GCSE (regret that decision a lot!!) and I've also read that English lit is good for law but i was hoping that class civ would be a good alternate for it.

Please help me choose!
Original post by Rithika1
Hi, I'm in year 11, and I don't know what to choose for my a-levels. Im thinking about doing either an accounting and finance degree or a law degree at uni but I can't decide!!!!!

My options are:
Maths
Classical Civilisations
Government and Politics (drop this at AS if I decide to do accounting and finance)
Economics (drop this at AS if I decide to do law)

I've read that history is good for law but I didn't take for GCSE (regret that decision a lot!!) and I've also read that English lit is good for law but i was hoping that class civ would be a good alternate for it.

Please help me choose!

Which are the three you enjoy the most and can get the bets grades in.
Law doesnt have any specific subject requirement although I do think History is well suited.

I would pick
Maths
Economics
Classics is fine

That would cover both options.

Always check entrance requirements to be sure, though.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot!!Shame I didn’t take history at GCSE. I definitely think I would have liked it.I thought politics is more suited for law than economics though?
I took A Level English Lit, English Language and History. Unis love these for law because they are classics and essay based. If you take A levels that aren’t essay based then your chances are slimmer of getting into a good uni. This is only for law, I’m not sure about finance. Politics instead of history would be a good choice
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
maths, economics and history would be a good option

doesnt matter that you didnt do history at gsce
Reply 5
Original post by Written In Blud
I took A Level English Lit, English Language and History. Unis love these for law because they are classics and essay based. If you take A levels that aren’t essay based then your chances are slimmer of getting into a good uni. This is only for law,

There's absolutely no need to take multiple essay subjects. I've known people get into good universities for Law (Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmngham...) with Sciences and a foreign language at A level. The OP's choices are fine.
Classics all the way! I’m taking it for A-level and it’s by far my favourite, so much so I’m applying to Uni for Classics. It’s also great for law and is really interesting and unusual and if you like history you’ll probably enjoy Classics. Lots of employers like it apparently as well.
Reply 7
Original post by Calyps00
Classics all the way! I’m taking it for A-level and it’s by far my favourite, so much so I’m applying to Uni for Classics. It’s also great for law and is really interesting and unusual and if you like history you’ll probably enjoy Classics. Lots of employers like it apparently as well.

It looks a great subject with a lot of variety. I guess if someone was nervous that those who had studied GCSE history would have a head start for A level (which I doubt as A level exams look very different) they could see if their school does medieval history as that would be new subject matter for most?

What attracted you to classics?
Well I did it for GCSE and I’ve always loved myth and legend, however I’m in a class of two and the other girl didn’t take classics or history at GCSE and has applied to Cambridge for classics. I’d say it doesn’t matter if you’ve done a GCSE in either history or classics as A-level is very different (at least for the OCR course)
Reply 9
Original post by Calyps00
Well I did it for GCSE and I’ve always loved myth and legend, however I’m in a class of two and the other girl didn’t take classics or history at GCSE and has applied to Cambridge for classics. I’d say it doesn’t matter if you’ve done a GCSE in either history or classics as A-level is very different (at least for the OCR course)

A class of two sounds amazing! I thought it was a popular course?
Reply 10
Original post by Rithika1
My options are:
Maths
Classical Civilisations
Economics (drop this at AS if I decide to do law)!

Are these actually your preferred subjects or just the ones you think you should study?

In an ideal world which 3 would *you* like to study?
Original post by ajj2000
A class of two sounds amazing! I thought it was a popular course?

At my school it really depends on the year. My year was very science-y! My school is also fairly small. Lots of people wanted to do it but just couldn’t fit it into their a-level options

Quick Reply

Latest