The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham a good uni?

How good is Durham for graduate employability. Most careers don’t give a toss about what subject you did as long as you know the stuff and went to a top uni. I realise Durham is supposedly 3rdish in the U.K. for 90% of the subjects or so, but what are the employability prospects? I see MBBs pretty much only want Oxbridge or LSE, and I’m not staying in London and got rejected from Oxford. Can Durham students still make it into MBBs like McKinseys, or top IB jobs?
Original post by That'sGreat
How good is Durham for graduate employability. Most careers don’t give a toss about what subject you did as long as you know the stuff and went to a top uni. I realise Durham is supposedly 3rdish in the U.K. for 90% of the subjects or so, but what are the employability prospects? I see MBBs pretty much only want Oxbridge or LSE, and I’m not staying in London and got rejected from Oxford. Can Durham students still make it into MBBs like McKinseys, or top IB jobs?

In short: very good:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/employability/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Durham is a good uni.

Next Q pls.

Longer answer: For some certain schools of study other uni's will be much better, but it is still a v. good uni.

That doesn’t separate top jobs for mediocre jobs though

Original post by Dannyboy2015
Durham is a good uni.

Next Q pls.

Longer answer: For some certain schools of study other uni's will be much better, but it is still a v. good uni.

You haven’t actually read the question
That doesn’t separate top jobs for mediocre jobs though

You haven’t actually read the question

I did, you just snuck another question at the end of your wall-o-text : )

However, the answer to your 2nd question can be found from a quick google search.. The answer is...

Yes.
I realise Durham is supposedly 3rdish in the U.K. for 90% of the subjects or so

Slight exaggeration but the answer to your question is yes. You'll find a greater problem to getting employed, however, is your attitude.
Well, most people consider Durham a semi-target, so your prospects of getting into the MBB or IB are similar to Bristol/Nottingham students on uni rep alone. It's still possible, of course, but that's the reality. If you struggle to build a competitive enough profile then postgrad at a target might help.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HoldThisL
Slight exaggeration but the answer to your question is yes. You'll find a greater problem to getting employed, however, is your attitude.

Yes, because the attitude of people on the internet accurately represents someone’s attitude in a professional setting...
Yes, because the attitude of people on the internet accurately represents someone’s attitude in a professional setting...

That's great.
Original post by HoldThisL
That's great.

Cringe
Yes it has a good reputation although it does have a secondary reputation of being the place oxbrige rejects go
More importantly than it's reputation, do you like the course? the uni? the location? even if it has the best reputation in the entire world it's you who is going to have to study there for however many years. I also think you have slightly the wrong perception of employers, most dont care about the uni you went to they care more about the course and what you studied/learned on it/your industry experience
@Doonesbury will probably be able to tell you more
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCavy
Yes it has a good reputation although it does have a secondary reputation of being the place oxbrige rejects go
More importantly than it's reputation, do you like the course? the uni? the location? even if it has the best reputation in the entire world it's you who is going to have to study there for however many years. I also think you have slightly the wrong perception of employers, most dont care about the uni you went to they care more about the course and what you studied/learned on it/your industry experience
@Doonesbury will probably be able to tell you more

Paging @auburnstar to the thread! :smile:
Durham is a target uni. Many banks, consultancy and finance firms host events and encourage Durham students to apply. So yes, very good, I would apply.
Original post by prostheticzeta
Durham is a target uni. Many banks, consultancy and finance firms host events and encourage Durham students to apply. So yes, very good, I would apply.

It isn't a target.
Durham's law department has a very good reputation. It is competitive and is well-recognised. 89% of people achieve a 2:1 or First with a 97.8% continuation rate.

"Of those students who graduated in 2017:
81% are in paid employment or further study 6 months after graduation Of those in employment: 88% are in graduate-level employment Median salary £24,750" (bear in mind these are earnings only 6 months after graduation, and they already approach the average UK salary of 27K)

As for it being a target, I certainly get a lot of emails from internship and career-related opportunities for finance and legal sectors even when doing a non-law degree, so I imagine doing a law degree would get even more attention. At the Careers Events, there was a significant portion of law, commercial and legal firms (and because the companies have to pay a small contribution to be present at these events, it does suggest they think it's financially worthwhile to target Durham grads).

Durham is also good on some other accounts. It is a lot cheaper to live in than London and most parts of the UK (the North East, excluding parts of Newcastle, has some of the cheapest private rental housing). Comparatively, you get more for your money and this applies to housing, shopping, food, etc. The college system is good because you have a strong support network: the Disability Support at the Palatine Centre, Student Support in College, the Welfare Team in College, Counselling at the Palatine Centre and informal support structures. It's also a nice size of city - being not too overwhelming but not oppressively small either.

I would look at whether you want campus vs non-campus university, whether saving money is important to you vs being closer to London and most importantly whether you like the structure of the particular law course/LLB at Durham.

[There are some aspects I think that could be better like overall diversity (although it is more diverse than the surrounding city because it is historically a working-class mining town) and financial support for working-class and estranged students especially, but this is also a general problem with many universities in general. Not to dismiss this issue, just to mention it is not exclusive to Durham.]
Original post by auburnstar
Durham's law department has a very good reputation. It is competitive and is well-recognised. 89% of people achieve a 2:1 or First with a 97.8% continuation rate.

"Of those students who graduated in 2017:
81% are in paid employment or further study 6 months after graduation Of those in employment: 88% are in graduate-level employment Median salary £24,750" (bear in mind these are earnings only 6 months after graduation, and they already approach the average UK salary of 27K)

As for it being a target, I certainly get a lot of emails from internship and career-related opportunities for finance and legal sectors even when doing a non-law degree, so I imagine doing a law degree would get even more attention. At the Careers Events, there was a significant portion of law, commercial and legal firms (and because the companies have to pay a small contribution to be present at these events, it does suggest they think it's financially worthwhile to target Durham grads).

Durham is also good on some other accounts. It is a lot cheaper to live in than London and most parts of the UK (the North East, excluding parts of Newcastle, has some of the cheapest private rental housing). Comparatively, you get more for your money and this applies to housing, shopping, food, etc. The college system is good because you have a strong support network: the Disability Support at the Palatine Centre, Student Support in College, the Welfare Team in College, Counselling at the Palatine Centre and informal support structures. It's also a nice size of city - being not too overwhelming but not oppressively small either.

I would look at whether you want campus vs non-campus university, whether saving money is important to you vs being closer to London and most importantly whether you like the structure of the particular law course/LLB at Durham.

[There are some aspects I think that could be better like overall diversity (although it is more diverse than the surrounding city because it is historically a working-class mining town) and financial support for working-class and estranged students especially, but this is also a general problem with many universities in general. Not to dismiss this issue, just to mention it is not exclusive to Durham.]

Do you have information for non-law degrees and non-Law career sectors?

I’m sure the university would happily furnish you with details about graduate destinations for any courses you are considering.

What are you looking at in particular? It varies from department to department and b/w Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities subjects.

Here is a general indicator of career destinations by degree from the 2015-16 cycle: https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/students/careerplanning/graduates/dlhe/
Reply 19
one of the best.

Quick Reply

Latest