The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rump0le
No!

Thanks for confirming.
Reply 61
Applying for pupillages for the first time this year. I'm doing the BPTC part-time whilst working full-time. Slight glitch is I don't have a single mini-pupillage in the UK but I have one experience of Marshalling. Is it worth applying or am I likely to get rejected everywhere?
Original post by VRS77
Applying for pupillages for the first time this year. I'm doing the BPTC part-time whilst working full-time. Slight glitch is I don't have a single mini-pupillage in the UK but I have one experience of Marshalling. Is it worth applying or am I likely to get rejected everywhere?

No harm in applying, plus if you get a single interview it's worth it. The more you apply the more you develop your application writing skills so starting early is good. You can also ask for feedback on any rejections.
(edited 5 years ago)
College Chambers first round interviews are out.

For those kind souls in practice who regularly assist us, could you provide your view on something.

I'm the person above who has had second round interviews for years but have not acquired pupillage. I'm in a good job (academically focused) and progressing well in it, but I wanted to ask what a chambers might think if I started a PhD. I make sure to gain whatever experience I can to aid in pupillage but I do not want to keep my life on hold for years by not pursuing other experience. I found my mental well being to be a lot better when I stopped making my life all about getting pupillage, and made it a part of my life as a form of personal development instead. Coincidentally ever since I have done so I have had more second rounds. I'm worried starting a PhD gives off the wrong impression.

I always hoped to start a PhD in Law even if I qualified as a barrister. It will focus on legal aid cuts and it's affect on special measures in court. I just don't want it to look like I'm not committed to getting pupillage
Reply 64
What's the best why to answer 'Give Reasons For Your Choice of Chambers'? would appreciate any advice I can get:biggrin:
Has anyone heard back from Radcliffe chambers?
Original post by Murphy39
Has anyone heard back from Radcliffe chambers?

I've not heard anything back yet either, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing !
Original post by ldawson181
I've not heard anything back yet either, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing !

Interviews in the week commencing 21st eg. next week so I am hoping to hear before Friday so the weekend could be used for preparation (if lucky enough to be invited)
Original post by MissT_
What's the best why to answer 'Give Reasons For Your Choice of Chambers'? would appreciate any advice I can get:biggrin:

As with everything else, there is no 'best answer' to this. But this is not a question that will make or break your application. There will be a few reasons why you picked the set, so just tell us what those are. You might have something specific, such as having done a mini pupillage there or spent time with a particular barrister there. Even if it's more generic and is just "I want to practise in criminal law in Birmingham, and you do criminal law in Birmingham" (obviously with slightly more sophisticated wording), that's fine. A quick look at the website googling recent cases involving that set or certain practitioners will give you the information that you need to add a little bit of substance to your answer.
Hi All, I’m starting my applications today. I will be applying for criminal sets for a 2020 start (let me know if this is the wrong thread). Hoping for Northwest or London. Doing my BPTC in September. Currently a Fee Earner with my own caseload although not criminal so have no idea if my experience will count.

Good Luck everyone.
Reply 70
Zenith 1st rounds are out!
Original post by ves3925

I take it that's a congratulations! could you tell me was the email personalised?
Original post by ves3925

Is this for common law, family or crime pupillage ?
Reply 73
Original post by Lady_Godiva
I take it that's a congratulations! could you tell me was the email personalised?

Thankyou! :smile: It was not, just a standard format that states the date they take place and how to arrange a time. If you're still waiting I know that last year there were delays between telling different people so it's not bad news yet!
Original post by ldawson181
Is this for common law, family or crime pupillage ?

Crime pupillage, I didn't apply for the others
Hi everyone.
I was successful last year in my quest and I'm currently in my first six at a chambers in London doing a mix of family and crime.
It took me 6 (very long) years to get pupillage so I know what the process is like and how tough it can be.

If I can help please let me know. And massive good luck to you all. Remember it only takes one to say yes!
Reply 75
Anyone heard from Zenith on the Family pupillage?
Original post by ves3925
Thankyou! :smile: It was not, just a standard format that states the date they take place and how to arrange a time. If you're still waiting I know that last year there were delays between telling different people so it's not bad news yet!

Crime pupillage, I didn't apply for the others

Ah okay thank you ! I applied for the Common Law pupillage so i'll keep my fingers crossed
I have applied for both Family and Common Law with Zenith and heard nothing yet!
Hi, yes I am including during BPTC applications and I had to resit my Civil lit exam so I tried from 2013 onwards so 6 rounds including the one I was successful in.

During that 6 years I was working and volunteering. I worked for The Student Loans Company (completely non legal) until the end of 2015 then I got a paralegal job working in family law. During my time I was working for SLC I was volunteering in courts with defendants families. So I very much kept my hand in at least something legal for the entire time. I also kept in with my inn post call and volunteered for them during that time as well.
All I can say is keep plodding on. Look at chambers that will suit you - look at the most recent tenants and see what their profiles are like.

If you want anything more specific feel free to message me directly!
(edited 4 years ago)
Zenith Family Law interviews are out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending