The Student Room Group

Stress

I'm freaking out I want to cry, A Levels are disgusting and I am losing hope, I'm in year 13 now and I am just so mentally drained I cannot describe it. Currently, I'm studying Spanish,English Lit and History and its just too much.
I don't think I'm even gonna get the grades to go university, my motivation is dying.
Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 1
Original post by Stressisme
I'm freaking out I want to cry, A Levels are disgusting and I am losing hope, I'm in year 13 now and I am just so mentally drained I cannot describe it. Currently, I'm studying Spanish,English Lit and History and its just too much.
I don't think I'm even gonna get the grades to go university, my motivation is dying.

Don't let stress get in your way, i know it seems impossible!
Think that you're doing your best you can do, now. Carry on!
Best of luck!
Many thousands feel exactly the same. Trick is to break it down into manageable chunks...little and often. Go buy 1000 A6 lined Index Cards and make up your own Flash Cards. Buy and READ Revision Guides. Fall in love with your subjects again. There is still time...

A
Reply 3
Original post by hm.m999
Don't let stress get in your way, i know it seems impossible!
Think that you're doing your best you can do, now. Carry on!
Best of luck!

Reply 4
Original post by Mr Aitch
Many thousands feel exactly the same. Trick is to break it down into manageable chunks...little and often. Go buy 1000 A6 lined Index Cards and make up your own Flash Cards. Buy and READ Revision Guides. Fall in love with your subjects again. There is still time...

A

Good idea, I'll do that. I know there's time I just feel like the school puts more pressure on top of my initial pressure which results in me wanting to rip my hair out and cry ahaha
Cant wait for these exams to be overr.
Good idea, I'll do that. I know there's time I just feel like the school puts more pressure on top of my initial pressure which results in me wanting to rip my hair out and cry ahaha
Cant wait for these exams to be overr.

Remember: In the end, you are only competing with your OWN potential... It might help you to think that the stress that you feel is being put upon you, is only there to encourage you to not sell yourself short. I realise that it probably doesn't feel like that...but at this stage of Y13, the role of your teachers is very much one of 'tough love'...

A
(edited 5 years ago)
I love vlogbrothers and found this vid that might help :smile: https://youtu.be/xKEzeJz8ys4 and this: https://youtu.be/2KDmXQDd1S4

Perhaps remind yourself of what used to motivate you, or define your goals? Sometimes taking a break is also good so for example next weekend, take the Saturday off, do not think of what you have to do. And do the work either on Friday or Sunday.

Maybe watch recreational documentaries related to your subjects remind you of why you chose them.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Aitch
Remember: In the end, you are only competing with your OWN potential... It might help you to think that the stress that you feel is being put upon you, is only there to encourage you to not sell yourself short. I realise that it probably doesn't feel like that...but at this stage of Y13, the role of your teachers is very much one of 'tough love'...

A

I get thattt, I appreciate your response :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by GCSE pupil
I love vlogbrothers and found this vid that might help :smile: https://youtu.be/xKEzeJz8ys4 and this: https://youtu.be/2KDmXQDd1S4

Perhaps remind yourself of what used to motivate you, or define your goals? Sometimes taking a break is also good so for example next weekend, take the Saturday off, do not think of what you have to do. And do the work either on Friday or Sunday.

Maybe watch recreational documentaries related to your subjects remind you of why you chose them.

I'll watch those videos, thanks for linking them.
Hmm true I should do that I guess you end up working so much you forget why it is you fell in love with the subject though I can assure you I didn't fall in love with history haha.
I'll try do that next week.
Reply 9

That was literally me last term so I can relate with the struggles of Year 13 and A-Levels. I know it sounds obvious but try to keep on top of things and address gaps in Spanish, English Literature and history. If you don't know what to do to improve, you should book an appointment to see your subject teachers ASAP regarding next step plans because if you just leave things as it is now, you'll end up in a downward spiral and obviously nobody wants that. You got this! :wink:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
That was literally me last term so I can relate with the struggles of Year 13 and A-Levels. I know it sounds obvious but try to keep on top of things and address gaps in Spanish, English Literature and history. If you don't know what to do to improve, you should book an appointment to see your subject teachers ASAP regarding next step plans because if you just leave things as it is now, you'll end up in a downward spiral and obviously nobody wants that. You got this! :wink:

Feels good that people can relate but sad that we've all been through this stress haha.
I think I ought to speak to my teachers so I can have more focussed revision you know?
Thanks for the advice :P
Reply 11
Feels good that people can relate but sad that we've all been through this stress haha.
I think I ought to speak to my teachers so I can have more focussed revision you know?
Thanks for the advice :P

No worries. As I'm a fellow history student, is there anything I can help you with in history? I follow the OCR exam board btw.
I'll watch those videos, thanks for linking them.
Hmm true I should do that I guess you end up working so much you forget why it is you fell in love with the subject though I can assure you I didn't fall in love with history haha.
I'll try do that next week.

Yes, you guessed correctly. I sometimes need to slow back down and remember why I am doing what I am doing. Happens SO often.
I didn’t fall in love with physics- but I remind myself that I need to do well to get into uni, so you can always have other reasons for doing a subject 😂
I was doing art as a 4th subject- which I absolutely adore- but at the end I needed to drop a subject and the school advised that it be the ‘not so academic one’ in order for me to increase my chances of getting an offer by Oxford. I would have died to be able to drop physics- such an evil subject. 😂
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
No worries. As I'm a fellow history student, is there anything I can help you with in history? I follow the OCR exam board btw.

I study Britain Transformed between 1918-79,
The USA conformity and challenge 1955-92
and the British Experience of warfare which is probably the worst thing I've had to study within my life.
Pretty sure these are all Edexcel
Original post by GCSE pupil
Yes, you guessed correctly. I sometimes need to slow back down and remember why I am doing what I am doing. Happens SO often.
I didn’t fall in love with physics- but I remind myself that I need to do well to get into uni, so you can always have other reasons for doing a subject 😂
I was doing art as a 4th subject- which I absolutely adore- but at the end I needed to drop a subject and the school advised that it be the ‘not so academic one’ in order for me to increase my chances of getting an offer by Oxford. I would have died to be able to drop physics- such an evil subject. 😂

Oh damn physics, honestly what is science? I don't remember anything ahah it never made sense to me neither did maths tbh.
Do you still paint/draw as a hobby?

The key is not 2 stress out
U should go over ur work everyday and over learn this using flash cards or mindmaps
Also exercise when u have free time this would make u feel ready and stress free
Oh damn physics, honestly what is science? I don't remember anything ahah it never made sense to me neither did maths tbh.
Do you still paint/draw as a hobby?

Yes! I paint whenever I need time off from studying :smile: Obviously not as well as I used to because there are no teachers to criticise my work but I still enjoy it. I actually painted yesterday 😆
Original post by thebawse786
The key is not 2 stress out
U should go over ur work everyday and over learn this using flash cards or mindmaps
Also exercise when u have free time this would make u feel ready and stress free

I swear to you stress is my middle name haha I can't seem to get away from it.
I think it's also the time of year, because it gets dark early I have no motivation to do work at all.
I've been meaning to start exercising tbh
Reply 18
I study Britain Transformed between 1918-79,
The USA conformity and challenge 1955-92
and the British Experience of warfare which is probably the worst thing I've had to study within my life.
Pretty sure these are all Edexcel

The closest thing I study to Britain transformed between 1918-1979 is Britain 1930-1997 on the OCR specification.

Quick Reply

Latest