The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

History at Durham University 2019

Hey everyone! I thought I would make a thread for people who have applied to study History at Durham, whether you have received an offer or not.

We all know it is a very competitive university to get into for this course. But, this is only because it is so good: a collegiate system, beautiful city, interesting modules. So, good luck to everyone; and well done if you have already received an offer.

I'll just put some stats to introduce myself down below, feel free to answer as many as you want:

University choices: Durham, Warwick, St. Andrews, Exeter, Edinburgh.
A-level subjects: English, Politics, History
Predicted/attained A2 grades: AAA* (post-results application)
GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
College applied to: St. Marys
Why Durham?: See first paragraph!
Personal statement outline: Architectural analysis, cold war, Spanish medieval History.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I am left-handed.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, my daughter is a 1st yr at Durham for History. She is in St Cuths on the Bailey and absolutely loves it! As someone studying history, you may prefer to be in a college on the Bailey as you are literally surrounded by medieval history - the cathedral and castle are just minutes away and as you only live in your house your 1st yr, you will only have that yr to do so. That being said, from what I have seen St Marys has one of the most beautiful dining halls, if I am remembering correctly. My daughter has enjoyed the professors she has met as well as the history club so lots to do, good luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi I've applied to to history at Durham, St Marys too! But i got an offer from oxford which is actually lower than the standard Durham offer so I am not sure yet whether i'll put it as one of my choices if i get an offer... which i havent yet

University choices: Durham, Exeter, Birmingham, Oxford, York
A-level subjects: English lit, German, History, EPQ
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 9 A*s, 2 A
Why Durham?: Love the uni and the course
Personal statement outline: EPQ, Historiorgraphy and work experience
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I love quiche

Anyone got an offer yet?
Hi! I've applied to Durham (Hatfield) for History! Not heard back yet though :frown:
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, UCL, LSE, KCL.
A-level subjects: Latin (taken a year early), English Lit, History, French, EPQ
Predicted/attained A2 grades: A*A*A*A
GCSE grades: 8A*s 2As
College applied to: Hatfield
Why Durham?: Love the collegiate system and seems a really lovely area
Personal statement outline: Middle Eastern History, Syrian Refugee Volunteering, Historiography, The Crusades, Classical History, Revolutionary History, Feminist History including Yale University research paper done over the summer on the history of abortion in America, Debating and Academic achievements, EPQ on making museums engaging for young people, museum volunteering, languages and future plans (honestly had no clue how much detail to add here so I basically just listed whatever I could remember I wrote about)
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I lived in the USA until I was nine years old!
(edited 5 years ago)
I’ve applied to St. Cuths but haven’t heard anything back yet oh dear

University choices: Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster and Loughborough
A-Level Subjects: Politics, History and Sociology
Predicted grades: A*A*A (and A* EPQ)
GCSEs: 9,6,6 4 A’s, 2 B’s, 1 C (undiagnosed learning difficulty lol)
College: St Cuths
Why Durham?: The course looks good
Personal statement outline: The land ordinance act, inter historical relations of the uk and the subjectivity of history
Interesting fact: I love bread ahaha
Reply 5
Original post by Cloudysmom
Hello, my daughter is a 1st yr at Durham for History. She is in St Cuths on the Bailey and absolutely loves it! As someone studying history, you may prefer to be in a college on the Bailey as you are literally surrounded by medieval history - the cathedral and castle are just minutes away and as you only live in your house your 1st yr, you will only have that yr to do so. That being said, from what I have seen St Marys has one of the most beautiful dining halls, if I am remembering correctly. My daughter has enjoyed the professors she has met as well as the history club so lots to do, good luck!

About the colleges, that is such a good point! I love the design of St. Mary's (old for me is always the most gorgeous), and reasoned that the walk to lectures would just be good exercise. Lol.

However, I went to boarding school for 6th form and, while living in the furthest away house, always thought that the 15-minute walk to classes in Winter was incredibly irritating (and cold-making). It discouraged me from doing things in the centre of school (e.g. everything) as well, as it was such a trek to get there. I have sent in my form; however, I think my school is going to send it back to me tomorrow for edits, so I think I might change to St. Cuths instead...
Reply 6
Original post by JEG666
Hi I've applied to to history at Durham, St Marys too! But i got an offer from oxford which is actually lower than the standard Durham offer so I am not sure yet whether i'll put it as one of my choices if i get an offer... which i havent yet

University choices: Durham, Exeter, Birmingham, Oxford, York
A-level subjects: English lit, German, History, EPQ
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 9 A*s, 2 A
Why Durham?: Love the uni and the course
Personal statement outline: EPQ, Historiorgraphy and work experience
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?: I love quiche

Anyone got an offer yet?

Wow. Well with your predicted grades, which are amazing btw, I'm pretty sure whatever happens with me, I won't be seeing you next year:smile: Are you happy to go to Oxford? As in, it is your top choice because you love it or because you think you should go there because it's a "good" uni?

Fun fact: I love quiche too. Too much, some might say.

What was your EPQ on?
Reply 7
Original post by caitlinhayes
I’ve applied to St. Cuths but haven’t heard anything back yet oh dear

University choices: Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster and Loughborough
A-Level Subjects: Politics, History and Sociology
Predicted grades: A*A*A (and A* EPQ)
GCSEs: 9,6,6 4 A’s, 2 B’s, 1 C (undiagnosed learning difficulty lol)
College: St Cuths
Why Durham?: The course looks good
Personal statement outline: The land ordinance act, inter historical relations of the uk and the subjectivity of history
Interesting fact: I love bread ahaha

Wooo St. Cuths! My new choice, perhaps. Sorry Mary's.

I applied to Lancaster last year too lol. Did you get one of those fun, "plus put us as your top choice, we are desperate for people and will bribe you to come with money" offers?

How did it go with Oxford?

I love hearing about people's personal statements with History because I think at least 90% of people talk about the subjectivity of History, myself included. Did you give the whole Carr / Elton spiel?
Reply 8
Original post by SophieRoe
Wow. Well with your predicted grades, which are amazing btw, I'm pretty sure whatever happens with me, I won't be seeing you next year:smile: Are you happy to go to Oxford? As in, it is your top choice because you love it or because you think you should go there because it's a "good" uni?

Fun fact: I love quiche too. Too much, some might say.

What was your EPQ on?

Aw thanks! I mean I would be over the moon to get even three As at this point tbh! Also I love Durham but if Oxford is giving me a lower offer I think I will probably have to go with the safer option XD

No but seriously I am so happy to go to oxford! I was a bit meh before interviews but I fell in love with the college and atmosphere at interview it was so casual and not intimidating at all :smile:

Ikr quiche is just so gooood! My EPQ is on whether fictional novels with historical narratives could be used as sources. It sounds like an obvious no but Doctor Zhivago, which I am using, is so close to the author's own experiences of the civil war and revolution that it's practically a memoir :smile:
Original post by SophieRoe
Wooo St. Cuths! My new choice, perhaps. Sorry Mary's.

I applied to Lancaster last year too lol. Did you get one of those fun, "plus put us as your top choice, we are desperate for people and will bribe you to come with money" offers?

How did it go with Oxford?

I love hearing about people's personal statements with History because I think at least 90% of people talk about the subjectivity of History, myself included. Did you give the whole Carr / Elton spiel?

Yes ahaha, I got on of those offers desperate for me to go to them, I think they offered me £4000?? It hasn’t convinced me tho, did you get one last year as well?

Rejected for oxford oh well ahah, it wasn’t my favourite anyway

My personal statement I quoted a book from David something ahah it was comparing the Austro-Hungarian empire to the uk which I commented highlighted the subjectivity of history as most documents you see tell us the strength of the uk and then I commented on the Stalin Russia.

Tbh I wrote my personal statement in 1 day as my college gave me the wrong deadline so it’s not very good

Anyway, if you applied last year did you reapply and choose Durham? Just wondering, why Durham? And where did you apply last year apart from Lancaster?
Reply 10
Original post by Talbot!
Hello, I applied for History at Durham in early October and it's been radio silence ever since. I have one worry regarding my personal statement; It was geared for History and Politics at Oxford, a now entirely redundant purpose (see below). Technically, there is nothing in it that is not history, though some of it is very much framed in terms politics and I even state that it is my desire to study History in conjunction with Politics at one point. Obviously, any intelligent reading of it would note that it is all very much historical and thus not reasonable grounds for elimination. However, does anyone think that this will seriously put my application in jeopardy? I'm beginning to think it might, in which case I'm totally buggered because Durham was going to be my steadfast reserve option. It was a damned good statement, if I do say so myself, but not necessarily all relevant for the course I'm trying to get a place on.

University choices: Durham, Bristol (offer), Warwick (offer), Oxford (nein!), St. Andrews
A-Levels: A*A*A* (achieved, post qualification applicant)
Studied: History, Geography, English Literature
College: Castle

Hi, I'm in the exact same situation!
My personal statement is very geared towards politics (or at least political history), even though I applied for straight History, to the extent that in my Oxford interview the tutor asked me why I hadn't applied for History and Politics! (I also got rejected).

I'm hoping this won't seriously work against me, but it will be interesting to see what happens!
Hello - I'm in the US so not sure - but could someone tell me what a "low offer" means? I understand unconditional and conditional but what is "low"? Thanks!
Hello - I'm in the US so not sure - but could someone tell me what a "low offer" means? I understand unconditional and conditional but what is "low"? Thanks!

I’m not 100% sure but I would describe a low offer as an offer that’s lower than the grades stated by the department so if the prospectus says A*A*A needed for entry and you got offered AAB that would be a low offer :smile:
Reply 13

Did you get one today?

And about the Political History stuff, I know what you mean... My personal statement is very geared up towards the connection between art / architecture and Medieval History. Strongly so. I'm worried they are going to be confused as to why I'm not doing archaeology or something... (the actual reason: too boring, I am not patient enough just to spend the majority of my time digging and recording every mm of dirt).
Hi!
University choices: Cambridge(rejection) offers from Durham and York and unconditionals from Lancaster and Kent
Offer : AAA
College : Hatfield!!
Original post by Nicola.leia
Hi!
University choices: Cambridge(rejection) offers from Durham and York and unconditionals from Lancaster and Kent
Offer : AAA
College : Hatfield!!

Hiii!!!! Congrats on the offer! When did you get it???
Hiii!!!! Congrats on the offer! When did you get it???

Thank you!! I got it late October, just under two weeks after I sent off my application!
Thank you!! I got it late October, just under two weeks after I sent off my application!

Wow! That’s so fast! I literally haven’t spoken to anyone who actually has an offer so congratulations! Do you think you’re going to make Durham your firm?
Wow! That’s so fast! I literally haven’t spoken to anyone who actually has an offer so congratulations! Do you think you’re going to make Durham your firm?

Yes! I’m really excited to get my college allocation, which I’m hoping is Hatfield so I can meet a bunch of people that will be there in September too. I’m lucky Durham responded so quickly to me
Reply 19
Yes! I’m really excited to get my college allocation, which I’m hoping is Hatfield so I can meet a bunch of people that will be there in September too. I’m lucky Durham responded so quickly to me

That is truly amazing, they normally take so long to reply! Last year, they replied to me on 26th March! I was half worried my application had been lost by that stage.

AAA is a great offer too. Congrats!

On the website, it says the typical offer is AAA*. Another person on another forum said that they had an offer of AAA for Durham History. I am thinking that maybe Durham gives out the lower offers to the people who fit the mould they are really looking for very quickly (original with critical engagement seems to be the key), and then considers the remaining bunch.

Why do you think your offer is slightly lower than is typical?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending