The Student Room Group

Suspension Affecting Application

Hi
(edited 5 years ago)
Why have you been suspended? What year are you in? Answer as fully as you can, so we can give you an accurate indication of the potential future difficulties you'll face. Try and stay at your current uni if you can. Familiarise yourself as much as possible with its disciplinary/ appeal procedures, to give yourself the best chance at staying where you are.
Original post by DANZOOKA
Hi guys, I've recently been suspended and excluded from university pending further investigations, and I am about 70 percent sure that I'm gonna be expelled. Which is why I need to apply for first year again to a different university. I asked Ucas and they said that the university im at won't find out about my new application. Now, im getting anxious as to whether the new universities are able to find out about the disciplinary issues and the suspension from my current uni. I've mentioned on my personal statement that I didn't enjoy the university life but nothing about these issues. What do you guys think can happen??

If you currently suspended, you may be limited to what you can do if you technically still enrolled at your current university. It depends on what you did to get suspended in the first place as to what you should say/who you should inform etc., so we need that information to advise you further.
Reply 3
Okay, well its the third time something serious has happened, all of them occuring while i was drunk, first happened when i was punched in the club, which security didnt see, then i punched the guy back in front of security, after which i got a fine and was called in for a preliminary disciplinary meeting. second time, i do not remember what happened at all after a night out drinking and waking up in a jail cell, charges against me were assault and harassment but they didnt have evidence so they let me go. third time was while i was leaving for my hometown, went out with my new flatmates (i was asked to move accommodation after the second strike) for a last night out. got reasonably drunk, but i knew and remember exactly what i was doing. so in my new dorm room i covered the smoke detector to smoke, did the same in the kitchen at around 4 am, where i was smoking as well. and i was banging on a few of my friends' doors and asked one guy for some coke, but i left alright and got home. and after 4 days i received a letter and they're saying that in addition to these actions, i also left the stove on high temperature with flammable materials on top, all while the smoke detector was covered. They've also involved the police, but i havent been contacted by them yet.
Reply 4
Plus i have some mental health issues which im trying to get through, and they're aware of all that as well
Reply 5
Okay, well its the third time something serious has happened, all of them occuring while i was drunk, first happened when i was punched in the club, which security didnt see, then i punched the guy back in front of security, after which i got a fine and was called in for a preliminary disciplinary meeting. second time, i do not remember what happened at all after a night out drinking and waking up in a jail cell, charges against me were assault and harassment but they didnt have evidence so they let me go. third time was while i was leaving for my hometown, went out with my new flatmates (i was asked to move accommodation after the second strike) for a last night out. got reasonably drunk, but i knew and remember exactly what i was doing. so in my new dorm room i covered the smoke detector to smoke, did the same in the kitchen at around 4 am, where i was smoking as well. and i was banging on a few of my friends' doors and asked one guy for some coke, but i left alright and got home. and after 4 days i received a letter and they're saying that in addition to these actions, i also left the stove on high temperature with flammable materials on top, all while the smoke detector was covered. They've also involved the police, but i havent been contacted by them yet.

I remember quite clearly that i didnt touch the stove either, but i did everything else
I remember quite clearly that i didnt touch the stove either, but i did everything else

I think you need to take a gap year to sort your drinking and mental health. I think this behaviour is likely to repeat if you go elsewhere.

I think some time out would be good for you, and society in general. You sound like you don't know how to behave in a mature and adult manner. Sure, a bit of drunkeness here and there is perfectly normal, but from what you're saying, you sound like you're a bit off the rails. You knew you were breaking the rules when smoking in your uni flat and taking drugs. If you're going to do stuff like that, at least learn to cover your tracks beforehand.

I'd suggest withdrawing voluntarily in lieu of expulsion and reapplying elsewhere. Take a year out, focus on your mental health, and learn to control yourself.
Reply 8
Im already taking a year off, but i cant stay away from my studies any longer. ive already took a gap year in 2017, went to uni in 2018, i need to go in 2019 now. Im having regular sessions with a therapist but its only gonna take a few months. so please answer the question that ive asked in the beginning
Original post by jambojim97
I think some time out would be good for you, and society in general. You sound like you don't know how to behave in a mature and adult manner. Sure, a bit of drunkeness here and there is perfectly normal, but from what you're saying, you sound like you're a bit off the rails. You knew you were breaking the rules when smoking in your uni flat and taking drugs. If you're going to do stuff like that, at least learn to cover your tracks beforehand.

I'd suggest withdrawing voluntarily in lieu of expulsion and reapplying elsewhere. Take a year out, focus on your mental health, and learn to control yourself.
The advice I have been given for personal statements is not to put anything negative even if it’s about uni life. In the last part of your ps you could for example put about how therapy is helping you become a better person and what not instead. I find it hard to believe the uni you are applying to won’t find out about this especially if the police are involved, so you should prepare for that. If I were you i would email the universities seperately to your personal statement and explain the issue. Make sure you take complete responsibility for it though and probably mention your therapy there as well especially if you don’t end up putting t in the personal statement. (Doing therapy will show you are trying to live differently and try not to make the same mistakes)
Hi guys, I've recently been suspended and excluded from university pending further investigations, and I am about 70 percent sure that I'm gonna be expelled. Which is why I need to apply for first year again to a different university. I asked Ucas and they said that the university im at won't find out about my new application. Now, im getting anxious as to whether the new universities are able to find out about the disciplinary issues and the suspension from my current uni. I've mentioned on my personal statement that I didn't enjoy the university life but nothing about these issues. What do you guys think can happen??

In your PS you only need to refer to your qualities as a student and why you have chosen the course etc. I wouldn't mention you didnt enjoy uni, keep it positive.

Your reference can refer to any challenges, but even then I dont see it as relevant.

You may make them aware of any mental health issues through extenuating circumstances. You can contact their mental health team and discuss it.

I would agree with Muttley in that you need to get your MH and other issues sorted as at the moment you seem ill prepared for uni life and theres a very serious risk you will end up the same at the new uni.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
In your PS you only need to refer to your qualities as a student and why you have chosen the course etc. I wouldn't mention you didnt enjoy uni, keep it positive.

Your reference can refer to any challenges, but even then I dont see it as relevant.

You may make them aware of any mental health issues through extenuating circumstances. You can contact their mental health team and discuss it.

I would agree with Muttley in that you need to get your MH and other issues sorted as at the moment you seem ill prepared for uni life and theres a very serious risk you will end up the same at the new uni.

So it isnt necessary to inform them of my suspension?
So it isnt necessary to inform them of my suspension?

I dont believe so unless they ask you directly and at this point you have not been expelled.
When I dropped out and reapplied I was asked to prove my withdrawal from my previous uni. The new uni probably won't be able to give you an offer if you're still technically a student at the uni you've been suspended from.

Come on your better than that. Do you know what effect a criminal record can have on your future prospects with employment etc?

Get your drinking/mental health issues sorted first and then learn to be responsible and find people who won't get you into trouble with.

You could end up dropping out/being kicked out again and not having any funding to return in the future.
Okay, well its the third time something serious has happened, all of them occuring while i was drunk, first happened when i was punched in the club, which security didnt see, then i punched the guy back in front of security, after which i got a fine and was called in for a preliminary disciplinary meeting. second time, i do not remember what happened at all after a night out drinking and waking up in a jail cell, charges against me were assault and harassment

At least you make uni a more interesting experience.
Reply 16
Original post by Supersaps
At least you make uni a more interesting experience.

Naah bro nothing interesting about the **** thats happened

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending