The Student Room Group

Are you worried by climate change?

Hi all,

The recent Global Climate Action Summit in San Fransisco set out it's calls to action to deal with climate change, from carbon neutrality to decarbonising transport systems.

Our staff and students are working with new technologies from biofuels to solar to play our part in the process.

But where do you stand on climate change?

Are you worried about it?

We'd love to know your views.

[video="youtube;_AWkIfkYpj4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWkIfkYpj4[/video]

Scroll to see replies

This is one of the things I don’t get about climate change:

The world has to end, and our species has to become extinct some time. Whether that’s due to the environment becoming inhospitable, the Sun simply running out of energy or by any other means, it’s an inevitability. All things that began must also come to an end.

Now I hope that this doesn’t happen during my lifetime; I’d rather live to old age rather than being around when the apocalypse hits and dying an uncomfortable death as a result.

But it has to happen some time, whether it’s 100 years from now during our grandchildren’s generation, or a million years from now during our great, great... grandchildren’s generation. Either way, someone is going to have to experience this.

My question is, why do we care so much when it is, even if its beyond our lifetimes? Why are we so desperate to delay the inevitable? Whether it happens sooner or later, what difference does it really make?
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi all,

The recent Global Climate Action Summit in San Fransisco set out it's calls to action to deal with climate change, from carbon neutrality to decarbonising transport systems.

Our staff and students are working with new technologies from biofuels to solar to play our part in the process.

[video="youtube;_AWkIfkYpj4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWkIfkYpj4[/video]

Yes because here in England it’s been either crazy cold or hot as hell recently. Both equally miserable. Although climate change is inevitable we are accelerating the process. Then it will be too late to take any action because the damage would be great.
(edited 5 years ago)
Climate Change is a total fraud and is merely a pretext for UN Local Agenda 21/30 legislation to eliminate native peoples and tribal communities and force them in to contained Smart cities where they will be surveilled, monitored, chipped and ultimately mostly culled off.
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi all,

I’m more worried about world population growth from 1 billion to 11 billion over a 250 year period, pollution such as plastics in the water and the declines of various species.
Reply 5
Original post by ZioSatanicCull
Climate Change is a total fraud and is merely a pretext for UN Local Agenda 21/30 legislation to eliminate native peoples and tribal communities and force them in to contained Smart cities where they will be surveilled, monitored, chipped and ultimately mostly culled off.

Do you want me to make you a tinfoil hat, or have you already got one?
Original post by katf
Do you want me to make you a tinfoil hat, or have you already got one?

What links the decline of Northern England, the entire middle east, rural india, Rohynga, Greece, Italy and above all, Israel?

But I suspect you're batting for the other team/trolling..
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ZioSatanicCull
What links the decline of Northern England, the entire middle east, rural india, Rohynga, Greece, Italy and above all, Israel?

But I suspect you're batting for the other team/trolling..

They all have lots of Muslims
I'm not especially worried. The detrimental impacts of climate change in my part of the world are generally minor inconveniences, especially in my lifetime.

Although a growing problem, it's not the 'end of the world' scenario the papers like to report on. And they're always blaming a hurricane or a drought on climate change, when really there is no way of knowing it for certain. In the North Atlantic, for example, there hasn't even been any real increase in cyclone frequency or intensity the past century, but if I had a penny for every time a storm is "linked to climate change"...

Is climate change happening? Yes. Is it a growing problem in many parts of the world? Yes. Is it also frequently exaggerated by the media, politicians and even by some scientists? Yes.

I also agree with someone else on this thread that the biggest issue affecting humanity is our exploding population. Our environmental impact is made worse because of that. It gets harder to mitigate things when there are more people needing transportation, food, energy... What good is decreasing our per-capita carbon footprint when Earth's population increases at a faster rate? Even if we eventually get it down to zero, we would then need a negative carbon footprint to improve matters (whilst having a huge population needing food, energy, transportation, housing, etc.)
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm not especially worried. The detrimental impacts of climate change in my part of the world are generally minor inconveniences, especially in my lifetime.

Although a growing problem, it's not the 'end of the world' scenario the papers like to report on. And they're always blaming a hurricane or a drought on climate change, when really there is no way of knowing it for certain. In the North Atlantic, for example, there hasn't even been any real increase in cyclone frequency or intensity the past century, but if I had a penny for every time a storm is "linked to climate change"...

Is climate change happening? Yes. Is it a growing problem in many parts of the world? Yes. Is it also frequently exaggerated by the media, politicians and even by some scientists? Yes.

I also agree with someone else on this thread that the biggest issue affecting humanity is our exploding population. Our environmental impact is made worse because of that. It gets harder to mitigate things when there are more people needing transportation, food, energy... What good is decreasing our per-capita carbon footprint when Earth's population increases at a faster rate? Even if we eventually get it down to zero, we would then need a negative carbon footprint to improve matters (whilst having a huge population needing food, energy, transportation, housing, etc.)

Yea that was me that said that.

Most of the population growth this century is in Africa and Asia the exact areas that will industrialise themselves like China in the past half century and we will see it as we do in China “we did it in the past they deserve to do the same now” and we will get no where.
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your views, really appreciated. Definitely some food for thought. We have researchers who are involved in the reduction of plastics in the ocean, so I know it's on everyone's mind.

Look forward to hearing more on this subject,

Best wishes, ^Shaun
Original post by tazarooni89
...My question is, why do we care so much when it is, even if its beyond our lifetimes? Why are we so desperate to delay the inevitable? Whether it happens sooner or later, what difference does it really make?

Some people care about their grandchildren's grandchildren's prospects as much as, if not more than, their own. Additionally, some people just care about the planet more generally and the somewhat 'unnatural' way we seem to be putting a sudden end to many millions of years of evolution across nature. I guess if you're religious you get to just dismiss everything that happens as 'Allah's will' etc. and carry on with indifference.
No, I'm actually looking forward to it. We need a ice age.

Sooner the ice melts cooling the oceans throwing us into a new ice age the better.

Without controlling Africa's population the world is doomed.

We need an ice age, or some other global disaster or pandemic that wipes out the majority of populations.

Alternatively, we could terraform the Sahara into greenlands. That's almost an entire continent's worth of space right there for all the africans to move into. Could be good practice for Mars too.

The cost though will be immense. It might be cheaper and easier just to wait for a global pandemic or even drop a man-made virus in the center of all capital cities in the world and let natural selection take its course.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TommyDH

Sooner the ice melts cooling the oceans throwing us into a new ice age the better.

We need an ice age, or some other global disaster or pandemic that wipes out the majority of populations.

Alternatively, we could terraform the Sahara into greenlands. That's almost an entire continent's worth of space right there for all the africans to move into. Could be good practice for Mars too.

The cost though will be immense. It might be cheaper and easier just to wait for a global pandemic or even drop a man-made virus in the center of all capital cities in the world and let natural selection take its course.

this makes more sense deer.jpg
Original post by TommyDH

What is your interest in Africa? So you think that Africa is the reason for climate change? Or Africa population dooming the world?

i don't know whether you are joking or just plain dumb. There is without doubt that climate change is being expedited and mostly caused by actions of people living in the West and the growing East. Many Westerners more than thrice their fair share of natural resources and waste an equivalent on products.
It would be nice to see more companies like Carbon Engineering starting up.
People like to talk about climate change but are not prepared to do their bit for it. As humans we would have to radically change how we eat, live, travel, interact and develop.

All those clothes, food, shoes and many more products that we use would have to be reduced to reduce the impact.
It's the combination of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and simultaneously destroying the capacity of the Earth's capacity to adjust to climate change that is really worrying. Forest clearance and mass species extermination recioeves a small fraction of the coverage that climate change does, yet it is equally important, and part of the same dynamic.
People have a remarkable ability to rationalise away rather abstract threats like "global warming" when it comes to taking action. That virtually every one of us is complicit in the process makes it especially tricky. So it becomes the fault of the Chinese, or the Africans, or a global consipracy of Zionist-lizard-GMO-culturalMarxist-eugenicists. Anything to avoid taking action on the scale and pace that is required.
Original post by Wired_1800
What is your interest in Africa? So you think that Africa is the reason for climate change? Or Africa population dooming the world?

There's 1.3billion Africans.

There's barely 50million of us. Hm I wonder what my interest is? What happens when there's 2 billion, 3 billion, 5billion, 10billion of them. How are they going to drink, eat, where are they going to live? Of course we need to control population! Not least because they are industrialising.

And this is exactly the reason why I say I hope for an ice age or pandemic, because nobody will face the elephant in the room. "You're not allowed to say having 10billion Africans pop up in a few decades is bad thing! That's racist! We have unlimited infinite resources!". Thus it'll never get solved, we're on the brink of apocalypse and middle class white illiberals are only concerned with virtue signaling.

i don't know whether you are joking or just plain dumb. There is without doubt that climate change is being expedited and mostly caused by actions of people living in the West and the growing East. Many Westerners more than thrice their fair share of natural resources and waste an equivalent on products.

"Hurr durr you industrialized in the past that means its ok to let populations get out of control and for 10billion africans to industrialise in 50 years who needs oxygen and air and forests anyway?"

Alright.

You're not helping anyone. By virtue signaling and not allowing people to talk about this very real problem all you're doing is encouraging and causing more famine, more starvation, more global warming, more pollution. You aren't their friend.

It's common sense that smaller, more manageable populations will be able to build and thrive.

I get excited every time I hear news of a pandemic. I hope it'll be the big one. We need full global societal collapse and a good century or two of pure survival and natural selection.

Then civilizations will rise again around the world, repopulate and hopefully learn from our mistakes from their archeological digs of us.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Axiomasher
Some people care about their grandchildren's grandchildren's prospects as much as, if not more than, their own. Additionally, some people just care about the planet more generally and the somewhat 'unnatural' way we seem to be putting a sudden end to many millions of years of evolution across nature. I guess if you're religious you get to just dismiss everything that happens as 'Allah's will' etc. and carry on with indifference.

I don’t think religion has much to do with it. For me the main point is that, religious or not, we all know that the end of the world has to happen some time. It can’t be stopped, it can only be delayed.

I care about my grandchildren’s prospects just as much as anyone. But even if we delay climate change beyond their generation, the end of the world will just happen in our great (x N) grandchildren’s generation instead. So what difference would it really have made?

If anything, you could even argue that it’s better if it happens sooner rather than later, whilst the population of the earth is low and fewer people are around to experience it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending