The Student Room Group

The 'Brexit Meaningful Vote' Thread - May loses 432-202

Scroll to see replies

Awww so if remain win by 52% then we will remain then but if leave win we have more referendums because you say its better it must be yes?
Original post by Burton Bridge
Awww so if remain win by 52% then we will remain then but if leave win we have more referendums because you say its better it must be yes?

Nope, this vote can put the matter to rest.
How?

I'm sorry but you are missing huge sections of the argument. Untill we understand why the majority of people wanted to leave the EU we will never put it to bed. Just look at the history of the tory party for evidence of this
"You are not children, you are legislators". -- Attorney General, speaking just now in Parliament.

Things are warming up nicely. :teehee:
"We must come together now as mature legislators to ask ourselves now, what are the real objections to this arrangement? Do we choose order, or do we choose chaos?" - the AG.
Original post by Burton Bridge
How?

I'm sorry but you are missing huge sections of the argument. Untill we understand why the majority of people wanted to leave the EU we will never put it to bed. Just look at the history of the tory party for evidence of this

I more meant that there would not be calls for further referendums.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Hopefully this spells the end for Brexit :woo:

Hopefully we get a no-deal Brexit :woo:
Why not? If we can have a second referendum, why not a third? Or a fourth? Or a fifth?
Original post by NickAlex12

Why do you hope for that? Are you aware that it would mean total gridlock at the borders, with huge disruption even to things like basic food supplies? Do you realise that nearly 60% of our food relies on imports from the EU? And what about the inevitable price increases across everything from fuel to food that will follow tariff imposition?
Reply 49
Why not? If we can have a second referendum, why not a third? Or a fourth? Or a fifth?

The 2016 vote was the second referendum.
Original post by Dez
The 2016 vote was the second referendum.

Then why’s everyone on the remainer side asking for a second referendum? Absolute bs.
(edited 5 years ago)

The premise behind the calls for the second referendum was that the outcome of Brexit that we are now faced with does not in any way resemble what voters were promised by the Leave campaign in 2016, with every realistic scenario having a negative outcome on our country's prosperity. We now have all that information, and if an informed public once again voted to Leave it would at least be a reflection of the known outcome as opposed to speculative promises that never came to fruition.
Reply 52
Then why’s everyone on the remainer side asking for a second referendum?

Because the government's total incompetence in enacting the referendum result needs to be brought to some kind of conclusion. Parliament are likely going to reject the deal today, they have proved over the past 18 months that they are incapable of any action. It needs to be put to the people again whether to continue on with this farce or whether we should reconsider.

That's obviously not going to happen. And why would you want that anyway, does it please you to see Britain crumble?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why do you hope for that? Are you aware that it would mean total gridlock at the borders, with huge disruption even to things like basic food supplies? Do you realise that nearly 60% of our food relies on imports from the EU? And what about the inevitable price increases across everything from fuel to food that will follow tariff imposition?

1)Don’t care.
2)Don’t care. We should support our farmers and buy British. And it’s not like we’ll stop trading with EU just because we have a no-deal. We trade with plenty of countries.
3)Yep because saving a few pennies on your weekly shopping is totally worth sacrificing our independence and sovereignty for
1)Don’t care.
2)Don’t care. We should support our farmers and buy British.
3)Yep because saving a few pennies on your weekly shopping is totally worth sacrificing our independence and sovereignty for

I think you will find you care when there are huge shortages. And even if you don't care, millions will.

It won't be a few pennies, we are talking about tariffs of 30 and 40% on large numbers of items.
Reply 56
1)Don’t care.
2)Don’t care. We should support our farmers and buy British. And it’s not like we’ll stop trading with EU just because we have a no-deal. We trade with plenty of countries.

Would you prefer your ration book printed in Brexit blue or head-stuck-in-the-sand yellow?
Original post by Dez
Would you prefer your ration book printed in Brexit blue or head-stuck-in-the-sand yellow?

I won’t need one of those. No one will, but keep being paranoid. It’s pretty funny.
Reply 58
I won’t need one of those. No one will, but keep being paranoid. It’s pretty funny.

We will if everyone's reactions to Dover being shut is "I don't care". That's not a particularly productive standpoint.
@Dez you said 'The majority of the public do not back no deal, and this is also reflected in Westminster. There is no mandate for it.'

Incorrect, the majority of people voted leave there was no leave with a deal, hard or soft Brexit on the paper. It was remain under the renegotiation of terms Cameron tried to get or leave the club. We voted to leave the club that's a strong mandate.

The rest of you post on this is your opinions alone not fact, speak to anyone whom was an adult alive before 1973 and they will tell you your talking rubbish because they have lived though a non EU Britain

@dez you said 'If the referendum clarifies the available options a bit better, it may give a stronger mandate.'

I don't believe it will, in fact I think your are wrong by quite a large margin. Should we do that we are likely to do it split the leave vote so remain win and in doing so totally destroy the majority of the publics faith in voting, which was already at an all time low pre Brexit.

@dez you said 'Any deal with the US would take years to resolve, and we have about 8 weeks left. It's not gonna happen.'

Not now your correct but that's what we should of done from day one, instead of trying to reverse the decision or undermine it by petty name calling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending