The Student Room Group

Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture

Naturally, ever-toxic Youtube decided this was an attack on their masculinity and decided to neg it.

How long until we see scenes of alt-right dumbheads filming themselves buying boxes of gilletes to throw into the trash? Just like they did with Nike when they supported BLM? :rofl:

Edit: "Dank" meme I found

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In a few minutes we should see the fallout, NYSE opens....P&G stock price...

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
If this advertisement is bothering someone, they reallly need to take a closer look at themselves to realise why.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Naturally, ever-toxic Youtube decided this was an attack on their masculinity and decided to neg it.

How long until we see scenes of alt-right dumbheads filming themselves buying boxes of gilletes to throw into the trash? Just like they did with Nike when they supported BLM? :rofl:

Once again you post a nonsense claim that is not born out by the evidence. The advert is not aimed at 'rape culture', according to Gillette. It is aimed at 'toxic masculinity' and seeks to change the behaviour of men. Why masculinity is toxic is beyond me, but that is Gillette for you. The company is clearly unhappy with the behaviour of its customers and seeks to change it.

It pretty well fits the trend to be puritanically and regressively illiberal, but with the added twist of taking money from those being criticised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46874617
Who on earth wants to hear the 'political views' of some marketing team within some subdivision of Procter and Gamble? Does anyone think that these are the genuine and valuable views of... the brand, Gillette? Whether or not you agree with the substance of the message, is this really where you want your social commentary and criticism to come from?

Are there people who thought that shaving products were just too apolitical before now? Who would buy some shaving gel and think, 'well, that's good for shaving and all, but why isn't this shaving gel telling me what it thinks society should look like?'.

I'm not interested. Gillette: make my razor, take my money for it, and keep your political statements to yourself.
Original post by -AK-
If this advertisement is bothering someone, they reallly need to take a closer look at themselves to realise why.

Well, I don't know about you but I can see that a lot of people won't like all men to be unjustly tarred with the black brush that signals aggression and a lack of social skills in an obviously sexist and stereotypical way.

To me, the egregious bit is where the advert states that 'some' men are already behaving in an acceptable way. Not 'most', of course. Some.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AngeryPenguin

How would you feel if tampax started a campaign to educate women to not false accuse men of rape or throw new born babies into dumpsters? I'm guessing less enthused.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

I'm not interested. Gillette: make my razor, take my money for it, and keep your political statements to yourself.

It is getting to the point where, to stay on the side of the puritanical regressive illiberals, companies are starting to believe they have to signal similar virtues lest that segment will take its business elsewhere. Very soon they will be giving us a written test to see if we can be sold a razor, and only whale-loving, vegan, marxist, highly-charitable non-smoking trans-sexuals will be allowed to buy.
Original post by Jebedee
How would you feel if tampax started a campaign to educate women to not false accuse men of rape or throw new born babies into dumpsters? I'm guessing less enthused.

I wasn’t aware that dumpster dumping babies was a particularly common problem?
if Gleet want me to buy their products they need to reduce the price

smh
Not going to make me suddenly go out and waste my money on Gillette razors, being horrendously overpriced as they are, but I like it.

And agree that if you've got a problem with a message of "don't be a d1ck", then you're probably a d1ck.

I’m not sure four incidents in two countries over 16 years necessarily constitutes more than I would think. I’m sure there are other examples out there but I’m not swayed from my original belief.

Rather than dumping babies the poster could have perhaps used ‘taking half of your husband’s money when you divorce despite not earning it’; Jeff Bezos’ wife is about to become the richest woman in the world because she picked the right nerd 25 years ago.
Original post by Underscore__
I’m not sure four incidents in two countries over 16 years necessarily constitutes more than I would think.

Well I was surprised that the first search page was so full of separate such incidents. People can be utterly inhumane.
Reply 14
Original post by Good bloke
Once again you post a nonsense claim that is not born out by the evidence. The advert is not aimed at 'rape culture', according to Gillette. It is aimed at 'toxic masculinity' and seeks to change the behaviour of men. Why masculinity is toxic is beyond me, but that is Gillette for you. The company is clearly unhappy with the behaviour of its customers and seeks to change it.

It pretty well fits the trend to be puritanically and regressively illiberal, but with the added twist of taking money from those being criticised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46874617

If I say I dont like burnt burgers does that mean I think all burgers are bad?
(edited 5 years ago)
Wow. That was beautiful. Almost dropped a tear, and I'm being serious now. That's awesome. I don't even wanna look at what other people could be saying, that's what humanity needs. That ad is better than some movies I've seen lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Truths
If I say I dont like burnt burgers does that mean all burgers are bad?

Don't expect the chef to be happy with you if you also add, rather patronisingly, Some burgers are not bad.
So you wouldn't criticise a national campaign that told black people not to stab people, or Moslems not to blow people up, or women to stop being so emotional, or Jews not to be so grasping and devious?

Being a man is not a protected characteristic.

I can understand why some guys don't like it, but if it touches a nerve with you there's probably a deeper reason why. And that's because you like some of the activity described within.

And if that's the case, you're a d1ck.

And if you're offended by that; tough.
So you wouldn't criticise a national campaign that told black people not to stab people, or Moslems not to blow people up, or women to stop being so emotional, or Jews not to be so grasping and devious?

Why do people do this? Deflect with poor analogies?
@Truths that ad is better than some movies lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending