The Student Room Group

Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Being a man is not a protected characteristic.

I can understand why some guys don't like it, but if it touches a nerve with you there's probably a deeper reason why. And that's because you like some of the activity described within.

And if that's the case, you're a d1ck.

And if you're offended by that; tough.

You did not answer my question, but being a man is just as much a protected characteristic as being a woman, or a Moslem, or a homosexual, or a handicapped person.

That ad is (directly, in so many words) saying that only some men behave well. That goes beyond stereotyping.
I can’t believe you’re a real person. You must be a troll or a bot.
Reply 22
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Why do people do this? Deflect with poor analogies?

a pretty poor analogy and the last part is actually antisemitic....
Original post by Good bloke
You did not answer my question, but being a man is just as much a protected characteristic as being a woman, or a Moslem, or a homosexual, or a handicapped person.

That ad is (directly, in so many words) saying that only some men behave well. That goes beyond stereotyping.

I do not believe the two things to be remotely relatable, so I'm not engaging in your idiotic question. You might as well ask what I think about computers being advertised towards penguins.

You are the one interpreting it as "only" some. That says far more about you than anyone else.

And you're old enough to know better. That you don't is more than a little bit pathetic.
Why do people do this? Deflect with poor analogies?

How is my analogy a poor one? And how am I deflecting? I am discussing the matter head on.

I don't approve of bad behaviour as described in the advert, but I also don't approve of the purveyor of my shaving equipment lecturing me on how to behave, even when I act as they would have me behave.
Wow that advert is sexist as hell.

I don't use Gillette anyway so doesn't affect me.

Amusingly, stuff like this has the extreme opposite effect of what's intended. All they're doing is creating more division and hatred.
Original post by Drewski

You are the one interpreting it as "only" some.

Have you watched and listened to the advert? There is no interpretation involved; that is what is said.
Reply 27

the point of the ad is to highlight prevalent poor cultural behaviours among men. Not that all men behave poorly, but the fact is, certain bad behaviours are normalised with "boys will be boys".
I don't approve of bad behaviour as described in the advert, but I also don't approve of the purveyor of my shaving equipment lecturing me on how to behave, even when I act as they would have me behave.

Do we not, as a society, all have the right to call each other out for being idiots?

Why is a company any less able than you to do so?
Reply 29
Original post by TommyDH
Wow that advert is sexist as hell.

I don't use Gillette anyway so doesn't affect me.

Amusingly, stuff like this has the extreme opposite effect of what's intended. All they're doing is creating more division and hatred.

its exposing more than "creating"...
How is my analogy a poor one? And how am I deflecting? I am discussing the matter head on.

By mentioning black people stabbing and muslims bombing places? How is defending one social group by dragging on the coat tails of another social group's struggles constructive and not manipulative at all? People hate feminists for this reason, for comparing or likening their struggles to ethnic minorities to guilt trip others to further sensationalise their goals. You're doing the same thing for men now and it's silly.
Original post by Drewski

Why is a company any less able than you to do so?

For two reasons: (a) I don't behave in the way they say all but some men do, and (b) they want my money.
Original post by Truths
a pretty poor analogy and the last part is actually antisemitic....

lol he's doing what a lot of social groups do: guilt tripping. This is why fat people want "fat rights" by saying, "you shouldnt call us fat! would you call a black person ******?" It's like NO! But how is your situation tantamount?! and why did you just use that slur to prove your point? :rofl:
By mentioning black people stabbing and muslims bombing places? How is defending one social group by dragging on the coat tails of another social group's struggles constructive and not manipulative at all? People hate feminists for this reason, for comparing or likening their struggles to ethnic minorities to guilt trip others to further sensationalise their goals. You're doing the same thing for men now and it's silly.

No. I am using clear examples of terrible use of stereotypes to get someone to see another such example.
For two reasons: (a) I don't behave in the way they say all but some men do, and (b) they want my money.

You realise that a) you can choose not to listen to the advert, and b) you can choose not to give them your money...?

You're making a coal colossal mountain out of a grain of sand. If all the issues today, making a fuss about this is moronic.

You're normally a rare voice of reason on here, I'm disappointed in your knee jerk reactionism and bs-spouting.

Anyway, I'm done. I don't care what come back you're trying to cobble together.

If you've got a problem with the advert you should look at yourself; you're part of the problem.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Not that all men behave poorly

No. Some of us, we are assured, behave well. Very few though. Certainly not most.
No. I am using clear examples of terrible use of stereotypes to get someone to see another such example.

no you're not, you're desperately trying to guilt trip people into agreeing with you by mentioning what you wouldn't do to black people :rofl: "you wouldnt call a black person a murderous thug, so dont call men bad guys! :cry2:" oh get out. It doesn't relate and it is a deflection, because there are bad men who do pat their sons on the back for beating up another kid, who do abuse women, who do present bad examples of fatherhood and who don't have good influences on telly and the internet where this ad can be seen. And you bring in the struggles of black people to distract onlookers from being honest with themselves. So now whilst you undermine the issues of black people, you also overexaggerate the issues of yourself. Nasty.
Have you watched and listened to the advert? There is no interpretation involved; that is what is said.

Well that's weird because we all watched the same advert and nobody else seems to be interpreting it that way. Unless you count TommyDH, but let's be serious here.
Reply 38
(Original post by Good bloke)No. I am using clear examples of terrible use of stereotypes to get someone to see another such example.

Except this isn’t about stereotypes it’s about pressings societal/cultural issues. And as a POC, yes I would actually support a company with a majority black male consumer base taking a stand against knife crime in a similarly fashion. Because while there are a host of socioeconomic factors that lead to this knife crime epedemic, toxic masculinity in the culture of black males exasperates the issue. Your anology wasn’t the “gotcha” you thought it was, but nice try.

This isnt about what you do, this is about a societal issue and what millions of people besides you do. Just because you dont do something, it doesn't mean it shouldnt be discussed!! "I dont do drugs, so let's not teach children not to do drugs and let's not help drug addicts." ridiculous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending