Legally-Good!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is anyone doing/done CACHE Level 3 Childcare and could tell me what the equipment is you need; such as pens, notes books ect.

I'm starting college in September and need an idea of all the equipment I'll need to get.

Thanks!
April_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Legally-Good!)
Is anyone doing/done CACHE Level 3 Childcare and could tell me what the equipment is you need; such as pens, notes books ect.

I'm starting college in September and need an idea of all the equipment I'll need to get.

Thanks!
Hello!! I’ve literally just completed two years at college and now have my CACHE level 3 extended diploma and I’ve actually never enjoyed anything more so I hope you love the course just as much as I did😊 You’ll definitely need a notebook and pens to take notes so maybe grab some highlighters to so you can make key points stand out because if you’re taught how I was then it is often left up to you to make your own notes from a PowerPoint that is read out and then explored in greater depth. These notes are super important for your assignments! I would also recommend buying the level 3 CACHE childcare and education text book which ranges from around £25-£30 on Amazon. Your college should have these books but it’s nice to have your own copy to use at home. I debated getting one because it’s a little pricey but I don’t regret it at all and I’ve kept it even though I’m qualified because it really is so informative. It is written specifically to your course and assignments so basically contains the answers directly to each assignment question you’ll face over the whole two years so it definitely is worth investing in! The course is heavily based around placement so I would recommend a notebook or diary to jot down activity ideas to do at placement, how many placement hours you need to complete with each age group (deffo pass this info on to your placement so they can support you appropriately), important dates like when you’ll be at placement and it’s also good for writing observations as part of the first year of the course requires you to write up your own observations of children at your placement. There are documents like the EYFS and statutory framework (you’ll learn about these during the course and will pretty much link everything back to these two frameworks) but our college printed them out and gave us a copy and they’re accessible online anyway so don’t worry about those! As for clothing, your placement will probably give you a top with their logo on to wear to placement but id suggest buying a pair of black smart trousers and black sensible shoes (I went for all black leather converse but not all placements will accept trainer style shoes so maybe opt for a cheap pair of dolly slip on shoes to start with just incase?) to wear to placement. Looking back we did do a lot of creative activities at college as obviously being creative is vital when it comes to working with children so if you want you could buy a pack of felt tips or colouring pencils or whatever but tbf I just used my college’s art supplies haha anything to save a bit of money! Good luck with the course, feel free to message me if you have any questions😌
Legally-Good!
Rep:
?
(Original post by April_x)
Hello!! I’ve literally just completed two years at college and now have my CACHE level 3 extended diploma and I’ve actually never enjoyed anything more so I hope you love the course just as much as I did😊 You’ll definitely need a notebook and pens to take notes so maybe grab some highlighters to so you can make key points stand out because if you’re taught how I was then it is often left up to you to make your own notes from a PowerPoint that is read out and then explored in greater depth. These notes are super important for your assignments! I would also recommend buying the level 3 CACHE childcare and education text book which ranges from around £25-£30 on Amazon. Your college should have these books but it’s nice to have your own copy to use at home. I debated getting one because it’s a little pricey but I don’t regret it at all and I’ve kept it even though I’m qualified because it really is so informative. It is written specifically to your course and assignments so basically contains the answers directly to each assignment question you’ll face over the whole two years so it definitely is worth investing in! The course is heavily based around placement so I would recommend a notebook or diary to jot down activity ideas to do at placement, how many placement hours you need to complete with each age group (deffo pass this info on to your placement so they can support you appropriately), important dates like when you’ll be at placement and it’s also good for writing observations as part of the first year of the course requires you to write up your own observations of children at your placement. There are documents like the EYFS and statutory framework (you’ll learn about these during the course and will pretty much link everything back to these two frameworks) but our college printed them out and gave us a copy and they’re accessible online anyway so don’t worry about those! As for clothing, your placement will probably give you a top with their logo on to wear to placement but id suggest buying a pair of black smart trousers and black sensible shoes (I went for all black leather converse but not all placements will accept trainer style shoes so maybe opt for a cheap pair of dolly slip on shoes to start with just incase?) to wear to placement. Looking back we did do a lot of creative activities at college as obviously being creative is vital when it comes to working with children so if you want you could buy a pack of felt tips or colouring pencils or whatever but tbf I just used my college’s art supplies haha anything to save a bit of money! Good luck with the course, feel free to message me if you have any questions😌
Hi April,
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!
I was starting to panic at all the equipment I need because we haven't been told and college starts in 2 weeks.
Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it!
honor532
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I might be doing this course in September but have not received any information!! Can you tell me about the course e.g. is it all placement, what units you study etc!?

It will be much appreciated!!!!
Legally-Good!
Rep:
?
(Original post by honor532)
I might be doing this course in September but have not received any information!! Can you tell me about the course e.g. is it all placement, what units you study etc!?

For my course, Monday to Wednesday I'll be in college, then Thursdays and Fridays I'll be in my work placement. For the work placement, you have to do a certain amount of hours with different aged children (I can't remember them right now, but if you look up "CACHE Level 3 Childcare" you can download a leaflet that explains this). You get to create activities for both Nursery and Primary School aged children which (I think) you have to show evidence you've done the activities with the children and record them all in a portfolio. There's 12 (I think) topics, like the development of children and hygiene. For placement, you're basically a supply teacher where you help out the teacher and get to create lessons. If you have anymore questions, just send me a message
honor532
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For my course, Monday to Wednesday I'll be in college, then Thursdays and Fridays I'll be in my work placement. For the work placement, you have to do a certain amount of hours with different aged children (I can't remember them right now, but if you look up "CACHE Level 3 Childcare" you can download a leaflet that explains this). You get to create activities for both Nursery and Primary School aged children which (I think) you have to show evidence you've done the activities with the children and record them all in a portfolio. There's 12 (I think) topics, like the development of children and hygiene. For placement, you're basically a supply teacher where you help out the teacher and get to create lessons. If you have anymore questions, just send me a message
Really!? That sounds like what i did for Child Development GCSE!? I’ll have a look only. Thank you!
April_x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by honor532)

Of course I’d be happy to help you!! Basically how my college did it is that we had one day off (often recommended to use as a day to catch up on assignments and complete any ‘homework’), two days at placement and then two long days (9-4) at college where we would basically learn information and then start working on the relevant assignment question. I personally found this helpful as it meant I gradually completed the assignment rather than having a load of information chucked at me in one go and then a huge assignment to complete at the end of each unit. However, just quickly I thought I’d mention that in your second year you do have a block placement where you must attend your placement for around one or two weeks in a row which is so so beneficial because you get a much realer picture of what it’d be like to work in a nursery or school full time.

So your placement is split into a range of age groups and you have a set amount of hours you must complete with each age group ranging from 0-4 year olds. There is a bit that asks you to also do a select amount of hours with children ages 5-7 but my college put us under the impression that this was not mandatory so therefore we never completed it. If you are doing the two year level three course (most likely are if you’re entering the course on level 3) then the first year will require you to spend most of your placement hours in a day nursery so that you can care for babies, toddlers etc. Where as the second year they prefer you to spend some of your time in a primary school as this is when the course focuses more of the educational side of caring for children (you do still have a set of hours to complete with babies and toddlers though so a nursery placement will still be mandatory once you’ve completed your hours in a primary school) and yet again is split into 8 units. These range from learning about how to improve in your role working with children, special educational needs, working with parents and professionals, supporting children’s mathematics, reading and writing etc. Where as the first year has a range of units which in my opinion are a lot easier as some are common sense like how to care for a sick child. The 8 units in the first year cover topics like the development of a baby while still in the womb, how babies can be delivered, caring for a sick child, noticing signs of abuse, confidentiality, safeguarding etc. One of the units is also about observing and assessing children which is actually really interesting and requires you to observe children of different ages in your placement and then analysing your findings to pin point where the child is in their development and if they’re where they should be (obviously you’ll learn what to use and how to do this so don’t panic!!)

Your assignments are split into lots of questions that gradually range from D grade up to A*. Your college may ask you to present some of the questions in the form of a PowerPoint or leaflet but the majority of ours were just written out in paragraphs which I preferred tbh. All of the assignments contribute to your end grade so please don’t take them lightly like I thought I could at first haha! There are also one external assignment per year which is set out like all of your other assignments but the questions are not relevant to each other so it’s basically just a summary of everything you’ve covered in the first year so you won’t really need to be taught any new information for these. The difference with these assignments are that they’re sent off to almost like an exam board to mark rather than having your tutors mark them. These also contribute to your final grade. Putting it into words, it sounds like loads of work but honestly if you keep on top of it then it’s fine, the pace my college went at was more than manageable! As well as being taught by your tutors, you will also have an assessor who comes to visit you in placement. They’ll give you an idea of what type of activities you need to plan for certain age groups e.g a creative activity, maths activity, activity that supports physical development. You’ll do around 4 in your first year and only two in your second year! Each time you will plan them, your assessor will check this and then come and watch you conduct the activity at placement (not as scary as it sounds!) They will give you feedback which you can then use to help write an evaluation of your activity which covers how you felt you behaved, what could’ve been improved, how the children benefitted and reacted to the activity etc. Your assessor will also record professional discussions with you which are basically recorded conversations where your assessor asks you a range of questions but most of the questions you’ll already know the answer to if you attend placement e.g how do you involve parents at placement? for example, this could be inviting them in for sports day! They’re about 20 minutes long and just help your assessor tick off certain criteria to make sure you have a good amount of knowledge on certain subjects that weren’t fully covered in your assignments.

I hope I haven’t confused you or overwhelmed you too much haha but if you have any other questions then I’ll be happy to answer if I can hehe x
honor532
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course I’d be happy to help you!! Basically how my college did it is that we had one day off (often recommended to use as a day to catch up on assignments and complete any ‘homework’), two days at placement and then two long days (9-4) at college where we would basically learn information and then start working on the relevant assignment question. I personally found this helpful as it meant I gradually completed the assignment rather than having a load of information chucked at me in one go and then a huge assignment to complete at the end of each unit. However, just quickly I thought I’d mention that in your second year you do have a block placement where you must attend your placement for around one or two weeks in a row which is so so beneficial because you get a much realer picture of what it’d be like to work in a nursery or school full time.

So your placement is split into a range of age groups and you have a set amount of hours you must complete with each age group ranging from 0-4 year olds. There is a bit that asks you to also do a select amount of hours with children ages 5-7 but my college put us under the impression that this was not mandatory so therefore we never completed it. If you are doing the two year level three course (most likely are if you’re entering the course on level 3) then the first year will require you to spend most of your placement hours in a day nursery so that you can care for babies, toddlers etc. Where as the second year they prefer you to spend some of your time in a primary school as this is when the course focuses more of the educational side of caring for children (you do still have a set of hours to complete with babies and toddlers though so a nursery placement will still be mandatory once you’ve completed your hours in a primary school) and yet again is split into 8 units. These range from learning about how to improve in your role working with children, special educational needs, working with parents and professionals, supporting children’s mathematics, reading and writing etc. Where as the first year has a range of units which in my opinion are a lot easier as some are common sense like how to care for a sick child. The 8 units in the first year cover topics like the development of a baby while still in the womb, how babies can be delivered, caring for a sick child, noticing signs of abuse, confidentiality, safeguarding etc. One of the units is also about observing and assessing children which is actually really interesting and requires you to observe children of different ages in your placement and then analysing your findings to pin point where the child is in their development and if they’re where they should be (obviously you’ll learn what to use and how to do this so don’t panic!!)

Your assignments are split into lots of questions that gradually range from D grade up to A*. Your college may ask you to present some of the questions in the form of a PowerPoint or leaflet but the majority of ours were just written out in paragraphs which I preferred tbh. All of the assignments contribute to your end grade so please don’t take them lightly like I thought I could at first haha! There are also one external assignment per year which is set out like all of your other assignments but the questions are not relevant to each other so it’s basically just a summary of everything you’ve covered in the first year so you won’t really need to be taught any new information for these. The difference with these assignments are that they’re sent off to almost like an exam board to mark rather than having your tutors mark them. These also contribute to your final grade. Putting it into words, it sounds like loads of work but honestly if you keep on top of it then it’s fine, the pace my college went at was more than manageable! As well as being taught by your tutors, you will also have an assessor who comes to visit you in placement. They’ll give you an idea of what type of activities you need to plan for certain age groups e.g a creative activity, maths activity, activity that supports physical development. You’ll do around 4 in your first year and only two in your second year! Each time you will plan them, your assessor will check this and then come and watch you conduct the activity at placement (not as scary as it sounds!) They will give you feedback which you can then use to help write an evaluation of your activity which covers how you felt you behaved, what could’ve been improved, how the children benefitted and reacted to the activity etc. Your assessor will also record professional discussions with you which are basically recorded conversations where your assessor asks you a range of questions but most of the questions you’ll already know the answer to if you attend placement e.g how do you involve parents at placement? for example, this could be inviting them in for sports day! They’re about 20 minutes long and just help your assessor tick off certain criteria to make sure you have a good amount of knowledge on certain subjects that weren’t fully covered in your assignments.

I hope I haven’t confused you or overwhelmed you too much haha but if you have any other questions then I’ll be happy to answer if I can hehe x
Oh my god THANK YOU. I completely understand it now!! It sounds like something I’ll be interested in!! I did child development in GCSE and part of that was creating activities for Pre School children and observing their behaviour etc. I enjoyed that but as I’m deaf I find it easier to communicate with babies and toddlers. I’m not sure if I want to do the 2 full years as I’ve completed a subsidiary diploma in health and social care so I’ve received “one a level”. Honesty the course sounds really good and I’m hoping it’s the same or similar as you’ve said!

Thank you so much for your help! It is really appreciated❤️
didi8420
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you are struggling you can purchase a study guide from ebuy. Someone is selling full answers. I got one two months ago and its much easier as I can see, what I need to include in my answers. Good luck with your course.
Graciexox
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi April
I am and level three year one student and I need some advice on revising for the childcare exam we have in less then a month. My college has only just started the revision for the test. Would you recommend any sources to use for the revision any ideas thanks so much.
April_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Graciexox)
Hi April
I am and level three year one student and I need some advice on revising for the childcare exam we have in less then a month. My college has only just started the revision for the test. Would you recommend any sources to use for the revision any ideas thanks so much.
Hello! Like I said above I’d 100% recommend this textbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/CACHE-Level...JxL&ref=plSrch as it literally has everything the course covers without being set out in huge chunks of information. This makes it really easy to make notes from! Personally I would make mindmaps on the different units and just jot down notes because I find writing info down helps it sink in especially as you’re having to read the info in order to make notes on it. Funnily enough we didn’t do an exam so I’m sorry I can’t be more help but that’s definitely what I would do! Think back to the revision techniques that you used in school that worked for you and then just tailor them to childcare. The book is honestly packed with everything you need but I would recommend doing a little research online about theorists (there’s loads of websites that sum up the different theories) for example https://www.explorepsychology.com/ch...ment-theories/ this is a website that sums up different theorists and their thoughts on child development as examiners love when you back up what you’re saying with a theorist’s view point! Yet again I’d just bullet point information from here. My college gave us access to the PowerPoints that they used in our lessons so maybe see if this is possible or email your teacher and directly ask for it? I’ve still got all my old childcare work so youre welcome to read through that if you want to give yourself an idea of how to set out your answers and present information and quote sources and stuff? Just drop me a message if you do or if you’ve got any questions as I don’t mind sending you pictures of certain bits of the textbook if you don’t want to buy it but I honestly do think it’s worth buying! Anyway, good luck and I’m sure you’ll absolutely smash it and hopefully your college will provide you with lots of revision material hehe
Graciexox
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi April thanks for that it’s just we have less then a month to go over all 12 units for six questions to come up. As I was a late starter to the course I still haven’t finish all the units they did back in September. But thank u so much for your help. Did you go on to do any further education after your level 3
Erikathequeen02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Thanks!
Im studying the childcare level 3 too
Butterfly00
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi do you have an email i can contact you on? I need help or my email is [email protected] outlook.com. many thanks
Last edited by Butterfly00; 10 months ago
Erikathequeen02
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Butterfly00)
Hi do you have an email i can contact you on? I need help or my email is [email protected] outlook.com. many thanks
yeah my email is [email protected]
username4581802
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How’s the course going? I’ll be doing this course next month 😮
April_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did email you but I’m not sure if it went through
(Original post by Butterfly00)
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lisahop)
How’s the course going? I’ll be doing this course next month 😮
I did the course a few years back if you want any info.
April_x
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’ll re send it haha I originally emailed a few months ago
(Original post by lisahop)
Nothing has come through to me.
username4581802
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you Emma! I was meant to start level 2 but going straight into level 3 😬
(Original post by Emma:-))
I did the course a few years back if you want any info.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.26%
No (81)
10.62%
I'm not old enough (329)
43.12%

Watched Threads