The Student Room Group

Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
lmaooo some men are so funny you think masculinity isnt toxic but men commit 90% of violent crimes clearly something is wrong?
Reply 41
Gilette: "we don't think men should bully or harass people"
Internet: "OMG so controversial I hate it!"

Pathetic stuff to be honest. Ironically it's the same crowd of people who usually deride the "overly-sensitive snowflake" stereotype who are up in arms about this. Hypocrites.
Reply 42
Original post by Bang Outta Order
This isnt about what you do, this is about a societal issue and what millions of people besides you do. Just because you dont do something, it doesn't mean it shouldnt be discussed!! "I dont do drugs, so let's not teach children not to do drugs and let's not help drug addicts." ridiculous!

!!!

its not rocket science
Original post by Truths
!!!

its not rocket science

hahaha
This isnt about what you do, this is about a societal issue and what millions of people besides you do.

What Gillette's marketing department thinks society should be like is of no interest. I want to know what the goods can do for me, or how good the deal they are offering is.

Would you think it useful if they started advocating, say, a programme of euthanasia among drug-takers, or old, fat, or smoking people to save the NHS money. I doubt it. But because the issue resonates with you you think it is OK to do so here.
Original post by Truths
Except this isn’t about stereotypes it’s about pressings societal/cultural issues. And as a POC, yes I would actually support a company with a majority black male consumer base taking a stand against knife crime in a similarly fashion. Because while there are a host of socioeconomic factors that lead to this knife crime epedemic, toxic masculinity in the culture of black males exasperates the issue. Your anology wasn’t the “gotcha” you thought it was, but nice try.

It seems as if people are terrified that men particularly men of colour will be inspired by this ad and will reform and become competition. My issue is using gender as an ulterior motive to be racist, because I hate passive aggressive people. I hate when feminists do it, when white women swear their issues are harder than black folk or are similar to women in the third world, so I'll hate when men use gender in negligence of race and class too. Now they're making this about men. That ad had men of all colours, so that means all situations and backgrounds but people are taking this personally! Just when I saw the twinkle in people's eyes that they were moved by this ad to be better people, I saw the mountains moving within them. Now they're being discouraged by outright angry men and feel they have to be angry too just because they're male, and as a man from a broken home and society, it saddens me to see men angry about this. Im normally down for men's rights but Im confused with this one, why are these men acting like butthurt feminazis?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Good bloke

Would you think it useful if they started advocating, say, a programme of euthanasia among drug-takers, or old, fat, or smoking people to save the NHS money. I doubt it. But because the issue resonates with you you think it is OK to do so here.

whew the mental gymnastics.

"iF its Not ok FoR coMPANiES to pRoMOTE qUaSI Fascist sOciaL daRwINism In thEiR advERTIsEmEnTs, theY shoULdn't bE comMunIcAtiNg aNY valUEs AT alL!1!"

Get a grip
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dez
Gilette: "we don't think men should bully or harass people"
Internet: "OMG so controversial I hate it!"

Pathetic stuff to be honest. Ironically it's the same crowd of people who usually deride the "overly-sensitive snowflake" stereotype who are up in arms about this. Hypocrites.

Yes!! So much agreement - People like Piers Morgan who are the real snowflakes!

To me the real message of the ad was to educate the younger generation to make changes and I think that's a brilliant message no matter how you look at it!
Original post by Truths
whew the mental gymnastics.

"iF its Not ok FoR coMPANiES to pRoMOTE qUaSI Fascist sOciaL daRwINism In thEiR advERTIsEmEnTs, theY shoULdn't bE comMunIcAtiNg aNY valUEs AT alL!1!"

Get a grip

I didnt even bother to read his response there haha cos I saw what he was doing and got bored.
Reply 49
Clearly letting commercial enterprises have values will lead to no good. Just imagine if some major food retailer decided to promote fair trade, ethical investment, or animal welfare. What a world that would be!
Original post by tremblr
lmaooo men are so funny you think masculinity isnt toxic but men commit 90% of violent crimes clearly something is wrong with yall..

So I'd be interested to hear your take on crime statistics and race...
Original post by Dez
Just imagine if some major food retailer decided to promote fair trade, ethical investment, or animal welfare. What a world that would be!

Or if all its bigger competitors did the opposite.

I am guessing by 'values' you mean 'my values'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tremblr
lmaoooo u are so funny going on about "feminazis" and then calling your self a mens rights activist :') sure your incel attitude didnt break your home ?

you must be the type who can't read. The entire thread I'm supporting the video and actually disagreeing with men...the quote that you're also discussing is where I literally stated, "normally I am for mens rights" (doesnt make me an activist) "but I dont agree with men on this one." So what is all this bull **** youre talking about "incel" and mocking my childhood??? You're 12.
Original post by Good bloke
Or if all its bigger competitors did the opposite.

see, there you go again deflecting. why are you mentioning other competitors that no one was talking about?? why not just stick to the notion of retailers doing ethical things??? jesus.
why not just stick to the notion of retailers doing ethical things??? jesus.

I am. I am just pointing out that their ethics may not be your ethics. How would you react to the Trump business empire leading in its adverts with a video that explained the need for the Mexican wall, or the need to cut off public funding for contraception or abortion? That is an ethical stance.
Based on how some men have responded, Gillette need to follow it up with a ad on fragile masculinity.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Who on earth wants to hear the 'political views' of some marketing team within some subdivision of Procter and Gamble? Does anyone think that these are the genuine and valuable views of... the brand, Gillette? Whether or not you agree with the substance of the message, is this really where you want your social commentary and criticism to come from?

Are there people who thought that shaving products were just too apolitical before now? Who would buy some shaving gel and think, 'well, that's good for shaving and all, but why isn't this shaving gel telling me what it thinks society should look like?'.

I'm not interested. Gillette: make my razor, take my money for it, and keep your political statements to yourself.

On the bright side they could be making an amusing rod for their own backs if there's any dirty laundry about work place bullying, sexual misbehaviour etc. about to burst out of the corporate closet.
Original post by Joinedup
On the bright side they could be making an amusing rod for their own backs if there's any dirty laundry about work place bullying, sexual misbehaviour etc. about to burst out of the corporate closet.

The implication is that, unless they are staffed largely by women, their experience within their own workplace is telling them how awful men generally are. Perhaps this is the beginning of a Gillette saga (#gelltoo) akin to the Hollywood one where half the workforce is outed over a period of time as a nasty bunch of ratbags.
Reply 58
so many men triggered up in here....
Reply 59
Original post by Jebedee
So I'd be interested to hear your take on crime statistics and race...

poverty easily explains this created by societal oppression and unfair sentencing like its that simple please try harder. Men commit 90% of violent crimes so what explains this?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending