The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from uni (first year) and applying for a different uni + course

I have a few questions about this process.

I am two days into my second semester of my first year and I'm not enjoying my course, I'm losing interest in this subject, have no motivation for it and don't see myself doing this field for the rest of my life.

I have spoken to my uni (I owe half of this year as tuition fee) and student finance England (they will be contacted by my uni if I drop out, I don't have to repay until I earn a certain amount per year and the rest of my maintenance loan will be divided by 3 and added onto my maintenance loan for my next 3 years)

I wish to do a different course at a different uni (my uni doesn't do the course I want) next academic year (this September).

The questions I have about UCAS are:

When can I apply for new courses?
How will applying be different and do I need to make a new account?
Will withdrawing affect how unis see me as an applicant?
Will I have to make a new UCAS account or redo my whole application?
Do I have to get my sixth form teachers to reference me again?
You will get a letter from the student loan company asking for the maintenance loan back. You will have to create a new application when they open, believe it's around March. If it's LSE, you will have to fill out a extenuating circumstances form backed by a GP or university advisor, no idea about other universities. References are prefered by your last educational establishment, it should be someone from your university, you have done one year so there are no excuses.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
You will get a letter from the student loan company asking for the maintenance loan back. You will have to create a new application when they open, believe it's around March. If it's LSE, you will have to fill out a extenuating circumstances form backed by a GP or university advisor, no idea about other universities. References are prefered by your last educational establishment, it should be someone from your university, you have done one year so there are no excuses.

I am on my second semester of first year
Original post by bignjuicy
I am on my second semester of first year

Sorry, misread. A reference from your last place should be fine then.
I have a few questions about this process.

I am two days into my second semester of my first year and I'm not enjoying my course, I'm losing interest in this subject, have no motivation for it and don't see myself doing this field for the rest of my life.

I have spoken to my uni (I owe half of this year as tuition fee) and student finance England (they will be contacted by my uni if I drop out, I don't have to repay until I earn a certain amount per year and the rest of my maintenance loan will be divided by 3 and added onto my maintenance loan for my next 3 years)

I wish to do a different course at a different uni (my uni doesn't do the course I want) next academic year (this September).

The questions I have about UCAS are:

When can I apply for new courses?
How will applying be different and do I need to make a new account?
Will withdrawing affect how unis see me as an applicant?
Will I have to make a new UCAS account or redo my whole application?
Do I have to get my sixth form teachers to reference me again?

Hello!

To answer your questions:

When can I apply for new courses? You can apply for your new course straight away - the UCAS deadline is today however you can still apply
How will applying be different and do I need to make a new account? You would need to make a new account to apply
Will withdrawing affect how unis see me as an applicant? This should not affect how a university would view you as a student, it is not uncommon for people to transfer to new courses
Will I have to make a new UCAS account or redo my whole application? As above you would need to make a new UCAS account
Do I have to get my sixth form teachers to reference me again? You would need an academic reference and character reference (not personal)

I would also highly recommend speaking to Student Finance England to make them aware of your thoughts to find out what effect this has on your funding moving forward.

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

To answer your questions:

When can I apply for new courses? You can apply for your new course straight away - the UCAS deadline is today however you can still apply
How will applying be different and do I need to make a new account? You would need to make a new account to apply
Will withdrawing affect how unis see me as an applicant? This should not affect how a university would view you as a student, it is not uncommon for people to transfer to new courses
Will I have to make a new UCAS account or redo my whole application? As above you would need to make a new UCAS account
Do I have to get my sixth form teachers to reference me again? You would need an academic reference and character reference (not personal)

I would also highly recommend speaking to Student Finance England to make them aware of your thoughts to find out what effect this has on your funding moving forward.

I hope this helps!

Is this UCAS deadline for next accademic year?

How comes it is earlier than when I applied last year?

I dont think that I can make a whole new application by 6pm, does this mean i will have to apply for next year?
Is this UCAS deadline for next accademic year?

How comes it is earlier than when I applied last year?

I dont think that I can make a whole new application by 6pm, does this mean i will have to apply for next year?

Hello,

Apologies for the delayed response

Is this UCAS deadline for next accademic year? The UCAS deadline was for courses starting this September.

How comes it is earlier than when I applied last year? It is the same deadline as last year, it is a 'soft deadline' meaning that university departments can close the applications for the course if they are full for example. You can still apply through UCAS until clearing begins at which point you would need to apply through that.

I dont think that I can make a whole new application by 6pm, does this mean i will have to apply for next year? You can still apply as normal up until clearing begins at which point if you wanted entry for a September 2019 start you would need to apply through clearing.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending