The Student Room Group

English Language makes me stressed

I joined this new school in September for sixth form thinking A-Levels were going to be chill. How wrong was I lol. I went from a school with no homework whatsoever to a school that piles it on their students. History and Sociology are completely fine took a little adjusting but atm it's perfectly manageable. English Language, however? Awful. Knowing I have lessons with English Language on a day fills me with complete dread. Not only are both the teachers nasty and condescending but the work is horrible and they give us homework more than History and Sociology put together. I was going to drop out of the subject when I had the chance but my mum convinced me otherwise. Now it's gotten even worse. I've spoken to my history teacher about it and she agrees that it's too much and even encouraged me to miss out English homework so I can do History Homework. Today I missed out two lessons of English because I just can't be dealing with it and I had an argument with my mum over it.
Original post by Dylan Taylor
I joined this new school in September for sixth form thinking A-Levels were going to be chill. How wrong was I lol. I went from a school with no homework whatsoever to a school that piles it on their students. History and Sociology are completely fine took a little adjusting but atm it's perfectly manageable. English Language, however? Awful. Knowing I have lessons with English Language on a day fills me with complete dread. Not only are both the teachers nasty and condescending but the work is horrible and they give us homework more than History and Sociology put together. I was going to drop out of the subject when I had the chance but my mum convinced me otherwise. Now it's gotten even worse. I've spoken to my history teacher about it and she agrees that it's too much and even encouraged me to miss out English homework so I can do History Homework. Today I missed out two lessons of English because I just can't be dealing with it and I had an argument with my mum over it.

Your mum isn't the best to talk to.

How about talking to your head of year or if you have a tutor, speak to them about it. Say that you're struggling with the workload that English is giving to you. Your head will them most likely speak to the head of English to discuss it and failing that, you could go to the Head of English if you don't find talking to your teachers comfortable and ask them if they can stop giving loads of homework, or if they can extend homework deadlines.

I do feel you because I did English Language and they give you articles or whatever pretty much nearly at then of each lesson to analyse. Right now you may think it's unnecessary, but it really did help me a lot in my skills. Especially because you could literally get anything in your exam so having loads of texts to analyse now really will help you.

Wherever possible, try and do bits and pieces - in your free periods, on the bus or whatever. Over time, your analytical skills will be more refined; meaning, you'll be able to get through articles a lot quicker and it will become more natural to pick up linguistic features. Don't give in just yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending