The Student Room Group

Graphic Design Exam ideas

Hello I would just like it if someone could help me come up with some graphic design ideas on what i could design on the computer for my exam.

We're given a booklet and then we have to choose one of the stimuli and then design something over the course of a few months, but I have to pick something good as it will influence how the next few months go and my graphics grade.

There are 15 possible assignments
Conflict
Playing with colour
The Wonders of nature
Networks
Close observation
Craftspeople across cultures
Repetition
Food and art
Architecture
light and shade
Symbolic objects or places
skeleton
Coverings, clothing and packaging
Movement
Negative space

These are all kind of like stimuli for a project

Thanks
You need to narrow it down it a bit? What ones out of those 15 attract your interest? You need to pick something you are invested in because otherwise you will get bored of your project and your grade will suffer
Original post by Echong12
Hello I would just like it if someone could help me come up with some graphic design ideas on what i could design on the computer for my exam.

We're given a booklet and then we have to choose one of the stimuli and then design something over the course of a few months, but I have to pick something good as it will influence how the next few months go and my graphics grade.

Conflict
Playing with colour
The Wonders of nature
Networks
Close observation
Repetition
Food and art
Architecture
light and shade
skeleton
Movement
Negative space

Thanks

This looks more like GCSE art than GCSE graphics - which one is it?
Original post by Muttley79
This looks more like GCSE art than GCSE graphics - which one is it?

Good spot that muttley :smile: if it is for art i'll move it over to creative and performance arts
Reply 4
This is graphics and I'm interested in The Wonders of Nature the most. Right now I'm thinking of doing natural beauty products that I could design packaging and posters for on the computer. The purpose of this would be that its all natural and doesnt harm the environment and your skin. Does this sound like a good idea?
Reply 5
I think I am quite passionate about this matter as I do care for the environment a lot and hopefully I think the markers will like that my project has more of a purpose rather than just marketing and selling.
This is graphics and I'm interested in The Wonders of Nature the most. Right now I'm thinking of doing natural beauty products that I could design packaging and posters for on the computer. The purpose of this would be that its all natural and doesnt harm the environment and your skin. Does this sound like a good idea?

That sounds like a really good idea :smile: there are lots of issues associated with beauty products such as animal testing and microbeads which have an environmental/ethical impact that you could look at. I think there was something about washed off makeup affecting water supplies as well but you would have to research that as am not certain. All natural is also very on trend as people get more environmentally conscious about stuff like palm oil etc
Reply 7
Yes I love to read about things like this and then I could design posters, advertisements and even a website that makes well aware of why natural beauty products are more environmentally friendly. Thanks for responding.
That's some good advice too, for my AS art i knew that i wanted to do military history so when one of the exam questions was machinery i adapted it to do machinery of war so soldiers with gas masks etc and the dehumanising effect. You are right it doesnt always have to be so literal
Yeh absolutely agree, often it's better to come at it from an alternate view point because the examiner is going to see hundreds of entries so if yours stands out for the right reasons it can make a difference

Conflict
Playing with colour
The Wonders of nature
Networks
Close observation
Repetition
Food and art
Architecture
light and shade
skeleton
Movement
Negative space

Thanks

personally, i’m doing “playing with colour”, “conflict” and “the wonders of nature” for my first 3 moodboards. i need to make three condensed mindmaps with 20 (yes, 20) artists on each of them.
i really recommend you use Pinterest to search for images you like first, then test a few of them as secondary sources on photoshop/outside of the computer. it’s early days so you can pick a different stimuli if you want to :>
Reply 11
Original post by amelia.byrne
personally, i’m doing “playing with colour”, “conflict” and “the wonders of nature” for my first 3 moodboards. i need to make three condensed mindmaps with 20 (yes, 20) artists on each of them.
i really recommend you use Pinterest to search for images you like first, then test a few of them as secondary sources on photoshop/outside of the computer. it’s early days so you can pick a different stimuli if you want to :>

Are you doing multiple projects? For us we only pick one and then make up our moodboard around that theme and we only do one moodboard at least I think. I also didn't know that you needed like 20 artists for each moodboard is that like a requirement?
Are you doing multiple projects? For us we only pick one and then make up our moodboard around that theme and we only do one moodboard at least I think. I also didn't know that you needed like 20 artists for each moodboard is that like a requirement?

Which exam board and spec is this?

Conflict
Playing with colour
The Wonders of nature
Networks
Close observation
Repetition
Food and art
Architecture
light and shade
skeleton
Movement
Negative space

Thanks

That is a lot of options to choose from. I can't remember exactly the topic I chose, but I remember it was something to do with ceremonial vessels. I ended up producing numerous museum posters with multiple mock ups.

You're lucky you have so many routes to go down, I only had around 6!! Use Pinterest for inspiration. Just search for the word and see what comes up, then combine it with 'graphic design' and add your favourites to a board.

Good luck dude
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
Which exam board and spec is this?

WJEC
WJEC

Which spec? It might be worth reading the feedback from the 2018 exam ...

Quick Reply

Latest