The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else’s school do this? We have to do it in year 12 and 13, can they actually make us do it? I’ve done it for a term now and it’s just as bad as it was last year and idk how to get out of it

We have something similar, called recreational activity. Its when you have 2 periods to do something of your choice e.g football, indoor sports, first aid, etc
Reply 2
We have something similar, called recreational activity. Its when you have 2 periods to do something of your choice e.g football, indoor sports, first aid, etc

yeah they called it something different but it’s actually just the same as last year lol, it’s cool that they offer you first aid though
that curriculum is so old... I only had to do it through GCSEs. And as a girl, it was terrible because we did ballroom dancing, netball, hockey and other crappy less intensive sports. Athletics was the best. The boys seem to get the best sports....If it's disrupting your revision time or it's too much whilst trying to study for other subjects tell your form tutor or head of year. Do you get any qualifications from PE you are doing now?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
My school had that too but only in year 12. You could either stay in school or go to the gym or swimming. I ended up doing yoga at school which is pretty chill but there was other more physically demanding sports but we had the choice.
Reply 5
Original post by ddsizebra
that curriculum is so old... I only had to do it through GCSEs. And as a girl, it was terrible because we did ballroom dancing, netball, hockey and other crappy less intensive sports. Athletics was the best. The boys seem to get the best sports....If it's disrupting your revision time or it's too much whilst trying to study for other subjects tell your form tutor or head of year. Do you get any qualifications from PE you are doing now?

hey, thank you for replying! No we don’t get qualifications it’s just the lessons and I’m not good at PE so it’s p stressful

I know a few people who’ve spoked to the head of year bc it’s disrupting their homework time but she was really adamant that we all have to do it unfortunately, I’m just trying to come up with a long term excuse to get out of it
Reply 6
that’s pretty cool, I wouldn’t mind so much if it was like that but it’s in strict sessions like the younger years rip
hey, thank you for replying! No we don’t get qualifications it’s just the lessons and I’m not good at PE so it’s p stressful

I know a few people who’ve spoked to the head of year bc it’s disrupting their homework time but she was really adamant that we all have to do it unfortunately, I’m just trying to come up with a long term excuse to get out of it

what a waste of time! you don't get qualifications out of it?! it must be because the school wants to show parents, council and investors that theit students are exercising and are healthy, whilst in reality you lot are panicking about your future and how much valuable time you have for revision and study that you pratically look high
I just say I have lots of more important work to do. doing 5 alevels lol
Reply 9
Original post by ddsizebra
what a waste of time! you don't get qualifications out of it?! it must be because the school wants to show parents, council and investors that theit students are exercising and are healthy, whilst in reality you lot are panicking about your future and how much valuable time you have for revision and study that you pratically look high

that’s exactly it I’m glad you understand! they just want another angle to sell the school but it’s not doing any of us any good, I feel like by 16 you should be trusted to excercise in your own time
Original post by Routeri
My school had that too but only in year 12. You could either stay in school or go to the gym or swimming. I ended up doing yoga at school which is pretty chill but there was other more physically demanding sports but we had the choice.

lucky...we were forced to do ball room dancing with bare feet on gym floors so ypu had 90% chance of getting verruca warts between your toes
that’s exactly it I’m glad you understand! they just want another angle to sell the school but it’s not doing any of us any good, I feel like by 16 you should be trusted to excercise in your own time

maybe they don't trust you... perhaps they think you'll turn into a bus the next day....
Original post by tesconyc
I just say I have lots of more important work to do. doing 5 alevels lol

5 a levels is insane, good luck! I’m doing four and I know someone doing also doing 4 who asked if he could not do PE bc of the workload and they said no you have to do it
5 a levels is insane, good luck! I’m doing four and I know someone doing also doing 4 who asked if he could not do PE bc of the workload and they said no you have to do it

ask subject teacher to give you student a mock exam. fail it on purpose and take it up to your head of year
My sixth form doesn't make us do PE unless we chose that as an option for our a levels.
Thanks everyone for replying! Just wondering if anyone knows a good excuse for getting out of PE long term? It’s giving me so much anxiety but they’re making people take part despite the school workload and I don’t think they’ll be sympathetic about the anxiety. I can’t just not go because I’ll get in a lot of trouble, they’re quite strict like that. I’m just trying to think of a reason I wouldn’t be in that lesson. I don’t want to say a sprained leg or something bc they still make you go to lessons and just not do the sports, I’d rather be studying instead
How dare they get you up and moving and physically active, it's almost as though they care about your well being, and know that a healthy body helps a healthy mind.

The heartless b@stards...
Original post by Drewski
How dare they get you up and moving and physically active, it's almost as though they care about your well being, and know that a healthy body helps a healthy mind.

The heartless b@stards...

More like they care about how the school looks to parents...

I do understand where you’re coming from though, and I enjoy exercising it’s just doing it at school is stressful as I’m not good at PE which is painfully obvious to everyone and also I’ve got lots of work to be getting on with
More like they care about how the school looks to parents...

I do understand where you’re coming from though, and I enjoy exercising it’s just doing it at school is stressful as I’m not good at PE which is painfully obvious to everyone and also I’ve got lots of work to be getting on with

You're not going to be good at everything.
Getting some exercise isn't about being good at it.
And so does everyone else.

But what good are those grades and that place at that uni going to be if you drop dead of a heart attack at 35 because you've never done a minute's exercise...

Big picture.
Original post by Drewski
You're not going to be good at everything.
Getting some exercise isn't about being good at it.
And so does everyone else.

But what good are those grades and that place at that uni going to be if you drop dead of a heart attack at 35 because you've never done a minute's exercise...

Big picture.

I think you might’ve missed a few things in my reply, I excercise on my own outside of school because I enjoy it - I don’t enjoy it at school because I have to do it in front of people. It’s also the fact that in post-16 education, PE is not a requirement and I think we’re responsible enough to manage our own physical activity, as I do.

Latest

Trending

Trending