The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades Blog 2018 - started from the bottom.....

bloop
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck!! Have you considered retaking the year if you've missed so much school?
Loving this blog, best of luck babe x
Reply 3
Keep it up :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Loving this blog, best of luck babe x

Thank you :h: xx
Reply 5
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2018 has come to a close. It's was my seventeenth year on this earth and I can honestly say its the one I've experienced the most change in and I hope 2019 marks twelve more months of even more personal growth for myself and everyone else too. This past year has been close to terrible school wise. Not that I hate school or that I've had an awful time but my attendance has been so bad that it's affected my potential to leave sixth form with the grades I need and want. That being said these past (maybe three) months have been a real turn around for me and I honestly feel like I could be on the way to the outcome I want. It's crazy how much a change in mindset and habit can achieve. Even just by waking up earlier has made a difference and I don't procrastinate so much anymore (I still do it but not on an 'it's the day before the test, let me watch more Netflix' kind of scale). I actually somewhat stick to my plans and to do lists now and I'm going to be even more on top of that when the holidays are over. Currently, I'm making progress with Biology and English but I'm neglecting chemistry a bit too much ( way too much). I have two weeks until mocks so I'm going to be blasting out some insane work ethic now and getting **** done.

As it was the last day of the year, I spent the better half of today organizing, cleaning and decluttering my room so it's nice and fresh for the new year. I have a long to do list for tomorrow that I really need to get through.

Happy New Year guys, I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas, and an amazing December and an amazing 2018. Best wishes for the new year. Peace.

-E
Reply 6

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7

Week One

Tuesday
Happy New Year
Today I:
Finished my English coursework (pretty much - it's way over the word count but I'm leaving it for now)
Annotated an extract for homework that's due in first lesson back. I annotated for language, context and links between other texts.
Went through the first chapter of age of innocence and put some key quotes into google docs with a little bit of explanation and analysis next to each one.

I was hoping to do some topic two biology notes and plan an essay for English but I'll have to push that to tomorrow. Tomorrow needs to be chemistry focused because I haven't done any chem work yet this past week and it's my hardest subject!!!!!

Reply 8
Happy new year!! and yay for finishing your english coursework :woo:
Happy New Year! Hope 2019 is a good one for you chick!
Reply 10
Original post by nyxnko_
Happy new year!! and yay for finishing your english coursework :woo:

Haha thanks, and yeah, I'm glad I finally don't have to think about it anymore. :biggrin:

Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Happy New Year! Hope 2019 is a good one for you chick!

Thank you, you too:h:
Reply 11
Thursday

Almost made the classic mistake of putting 2018 instead of 19 as the date. When I was in secondary school I used to do that way into the middle of the year...

Today I finally started doing some chemistry. I've printed off a bunch of the revision notes from Chemrevise. I was going to do all of modules 2 3 and 4 but my printer annoyingly decided to run out of ink. I've started watching the module 5 allery chemistry videos on youtube and they're really helpful. I am actually understanding the topics so I'm happy and I just need to learn it. Hopefully these next few days, I'll get more ink and print the rest of the guides, watch the videos for module 5 and 6 and make my own revision notes for my folder and then I'll be ready chemistry wise to go back to school. When I go back to school I'll need to start revising AS content so I want to get the majority if not all of A2 done before the holiday ends which is a bit of a stretch but what am I if not unrealistic?

Also this is what some of my notes from topic one biology look like. You can't really see that well but it gives you some idea :smile:

-E
:rofl:
have fun with the chemistry
Reply 13

Week Two

Thursday
Today I did some Chemistry questions on mass and IR spec and Enthalpy and I finished an essay for English.
I've been busy busy busy with going back to school and revising for mocks. I have 4 days left until chemistry, 5 days until biology and 7 days until English and I am just not going to get all the content done. I'm focusing right now on the A2 content for biology because I've done the notes for chemistry already. Then over the weekend, I'll focus on AS for both chemistry and biology. English is going on the back burner for now because I have the whole of Wednesday to revise for it. I left revision till the day before last time and it did NOT go well but I have no choice now so I'm just going to make that day of revision the best I've ever done, no word of a lie. English is stressing me a bit though. I just finished writing a critical appreciation essay and it was so bad. So so bad. But bad to the point that I can't even do anything else with it. So I don't really know what I'm going to do with English - not just for the mock I mean in general.
I had a session with a tutor on Monday going through mass and IR spec and enthalpy which was so so helpful and I've got another session tomorrow going over some module four topics. Right now chemistry is looking like the subject I'm doing the best in which is a shocker honestly. I'm going to a friend's birthday meal as well tomorrow which cuts out a lot of revision time and I might have to do a job-related thing on Saturday from 11 till 2 so that's more time not revising and more stress on my left breast. Oh well, imma just wing it like I always do...
-E

Reply 14
Saturday
13/01/19

Over the past day or two, I've been making flashcards using the edexel biology revision guide as well as two websites which I think are a* biology and physics and maths tutor. I've done topic 5 and 6 and I'm going to do 3 and 4 tomorrow. So I'll have flash cards to revise 3,4,5 and 6. I'm going to identify topics I find the hardest which are normally processes and things with lots of steps and go through them in detail as well and I'm going to do an AS paper and find some A2 questions so I know what I really don't know. On Friday I had another tutor session on chemistry and we went through isomerism and haloalkanes in the environment which I understood. Then we did some curly arrows and mechanism stuff and I just got even more confused. I still have to go through a lot of topic 6 but I'm going to rely on videos for that because I've sat down to try and go through this topic too many times now and I just can't get through it. I need to do some questions for the whole of chemistry to find out my weak points so I can do some focused revision. On a positive note though, I can actually do enthalpy and spectrometry questions now which before I was just completely lost in. Tomorrow is going to be highly chemistry focused because the exam is on Monday. Monday is going to be all about Biology for Tuesday's exam and then I have one and a half days to do some English.
I'm feeling optimistic. If nothing else, at least I can say my cramming skills have improved since AS.

-E
Wow so in love with your notes! Keep working hard :smile:
Those notes :gah:
You got this! :woo:
Reply 17
UPDATE
15/01/19

Mock Exams

Chemistry on Monday
This went better than expected. It was still hard and the module six questions that I knew I wasn't going to do well on were impossible because I just haven't learnt the material. But apart from that I pretty much answered everything. Of course that doesn't mean I answered it right and there are a few questions that I know are wrong. But I think I passed. If I don't get at least a C, I don't see how I'm going to get the grades I need in the real thing because there's not much else I can do at this point.

Biology on Tuesday
I answered every question and there were some that went a bit over my head but it went okay honestly. I'm not worried about it. Last night while I was revising I pretty much gave up halfway through topic six and I didn't end up looking over the core practicals so it's pretty lucky that no really horrible questions came up and the stuff I didn't know I could at least say something about it or make some kind of point. Obviously afterwards, you talk about all the hard questions with your friends and we started talking about this question about trees and the changes in their distribution due to climate change. I thought the question was about two different kinds of trees so I wrote something like, the distribution changes because they are better suited to a cooler climate so they move further north which doesn't even make sense because they didn't move that far so the climate is going to be pretty much if not exactly the same. My friend told me her answer and then I realised that it was about one type of tree and the virus/ parasite thing that grows on them and not two different types of trees. So you were meant to talk about how an increase in CO2 concentration killed off the bacteria and that's why the distribution changed - that is if my friend is right. But either way what I wrote is wrong wrong wrong and my answer is so dumb as well. But yeah I found that funny how I thought it was two types of trees. Ha.

English Revision
I have English on Thursday so to revise for that I'm going to go through my texts again and look over themes and characters, make sure I know what connections I can talk about for each theme. There is a lot of context in this paper so I need to know that. I'll probably make some flashcards so I can go over it in the morning before the exam. One of the questions is a close reading so I'm going to revise some literary terms and watch some videos on each text for analysis of language, structure and form. And I need to learn some critics quotes and possibly watch the films. I have the revision guide for one of my texts so I'm going to be using that mostly. My AS mock was terrible because I probably did about two hours of revision at 11pm the night before so hopefully this one will be better.
I hope that everyone else who's had their mocks did well and for the people that haven't done them, good luck folks.

-E
well done for finishing mocks!! :woo:
Reply 19
Original post by nyxnko_
well done for finishing mocks!! :woo:

Still have one more to go but thanks :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending