The Student Room Group

IAL Chemistry Unit 2 -- Jan 2019 Discussion

Anybody giving the Chem U2 exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am giving it tmrw
Reply 2
Me too, old spec. How prepared do you guys feel, any predictions?
Reply 3
Original post by amal29
Me too, old spec. How prepared do you guys feel, any predictions?

Idk man, Unit 2 has always been my worst Chem Unit. Section C scares me. How are yall revising?
How was it?
Original post by nonamefound666
How was it?

It went pretty good, what was your concentration for the last question? 0.0328?
Reply 6
Original post by Marzi20000
It went pretty good, what was your concentration for the last question? 0.0328?

I got 1.648 g dm-3. What did you get for the metal ion? I got Sr
Original post by Erica.kh
I got 1.648 g dm-3. What did you get for the metal ion? I got Sr

Yeah I got Sr as well. What did you write for the product formed and the test for ethanol?
Reply 8
Yeah I got Sr as well. What did you write for the product formed and the test for ethanol?

Since it was under reflux, I wrote ethanoic acid and the test was adding acid and seeing if limewater turns cloudy due to the presence of CO2 (I think).

What did you write for the thiosulphate oxidation numbers? I messed that one up cuz I kept getting 2.5 for sulfur. Also, what organic solvent did you write for Iodine?
Since it was under reflux, I wrote ethanoic acid and the test was adding acid and seeing if limewater turns cloudy due to the presence of CO2 (I think).

What did you write for the thiosulphate oxidation numbers? I messed that one up cuz I kept getting 2.5 for sulfur. Also, what organic solvent did you write for Iodine?

Welp. I wrote ethanal since it was being distilled, was cotemplating whether I should write Ethanoic acid or Ethanal. For the oxidation number, Iodine got reduced from 0 to -1 while Sulfur got oxidised from +4 to +10 I think.
Reply 10
Welp. I wrote ethanal since it was being distilled, was cotemplating whether I should write Ethanoic acid or Ethanal. For the oxidation number, Iodine got reduced from 0 to -1 while Sulfur got oxidised from +4 to +10 I think.

Dang, totally messed up the disproportionation question 😧. And I might have completely miss read the ethanol Q and maybe it is ethanal. Fingers crossed :s-smilie:
i got 0.022525 ,something along these lines for the last question.
there was this question about iodine and like using an orgnic layer...
what did you guys write for the organic solvent and colour change?
Original post by somia007
there was this question about iodine and like using an orgnic layer...
what did you guys write for the organic solvent and colour change?

I wrote Hexane since iodine is not fully soluble in it and that the colour change will be from reddish brown to red-pink.

I got 2.5 for sulphur as well. Didn't get +4 to +10. not sure which one is correct.
Reply 15
Yah I wrote Hexane too, but I said the colour change was to purple cuz it's a hydrocarbon. And idk, half oxidisation numbers don't look right so :s-smilie:
how was unit 3?
Reply 17
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
how was unit 3?

I thought it went quite well... Unsure about the Standard solution and the question where we had to identify the 4 compounds:/

Reply 18
Good luck for tomorrow guys!! Fingers crossed
MCQ qs. 12. Can anybody explain why the answer is D?

Quick Reply

Latest