The Student Room Group

Canceling UCAS Application

So I've just had my teacher complete the reference but now I'm scared as to whether he wrote a bad one or not (for many reasons I won't delve into in order to keep this short). I have not paid yet. My application is complete up until the pay/send part. Would I be able to delete this one and start again or something? I want to get a reference from someone other than that teacher.
Reply 1
Original post by mina_01
So I've just had my teacher complete the reference but now I'm scared as to whether he wrote a bad one or not (for many reasons I won't delve into in order to keep this short). I have not paid yet. My application is complete up until the pay/send part. Would I be able to delete this one and start again or something? I want to get a reference from someone other than that teacher.

Your teacher can't give you a bad reference, and to be honest, they want you to get into uni as much as you do yourself. If you have a strong perrsonal statement that you're happy with and you're happy with every aspect of your applicaiton then theres no reason to delete that one :smile:
Your teacher will most probably have written a strong reference that you'd be happy with if you were to read it :smile: so stay positive
Reply 2
Original post by abcdef86
Your teacher can't give you a bad reference, and to be honest, they want you to get into uni as much as you do yourself. If you have a strong perrsonal statement that you're happy with and you're happy with every aspect of your applicaiton then theres no reason to delete that one :smile:
Your teacher will most probably have written a strong reference that you'd be happy with if you were to read it :smile: so stay positive

Like I said, I won't delve into the reasons why because that is not the purpose of this post. Also, neither do I want to say anything revealing about myself here. Thank you for the reassurance, but I'd have really appreciated it if you'd actually answered the question as well?
Reply 3
Original post by SomMC1
worse than that, you missed the 15th January deadline... that should worry you more than references at this stage. which unis are you trying to apply to?

I am worried, but having a bad reference decreases my chances even further of acceptance from a university. Do you know if I can restart?
Original post by mina_01
Like I said, I won't delve into the reasons why because that is not the purpose of this post. Also, neither do I want to say anything revealing about myself here. Thank you for the reassurance, but I'd have really appreciated it if you'd actually answered the question as well?

Why would you get a reference from a teacher who, as you’re implying, would have good reason to write you a ‘bad’ reference?

The advice about references never being bad is completely right though. Unless you’re an absolutely awful student, even then they’d word it tactfully, the purpose of a reference is to help you not hinder you.

Also as said above, you’ve missed the deadline so there’s no certainties you’ll get any places.
There’s little point in you making an entirely new application, but if you’re adamant you’d like to get a different reference, that’s fine - Speak to a head of sixth form / college, and say you’d like a reference from a different teacher, and are they able to change the one as your application hasn’t yet been sent of. Be prepared for them to ask why though. It isn’t fixed until it’s been sent off.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FloralHybrid
Why would you get a reference from a teacher who, as you’re implying, would have good reason to write you a ‘bad’ reference?

The advice about references never being bad is completely right though. Unless you’re an absolutely awful student, even then they’d word it tactfully, the purpose of a reference is to help you not hinder you.

Also as said above, you’ve missed the deadline so there’s no certainties you’ll get any places.
There’s little point in you making an entirely new application, but if you’re adamant you’d like to get a different reference, that’s fine - Speak to a head of sixth form / college, and say you’d like a reference from a different teacher, and are they able to change the one as your application hasn’t yet been sent of. Be prepared for them to ask why though. It isn’t fixed until it’s been sent off.

Thanks for answering my question.

Now to answer your question, the second thoughts about this teacher completing my reference only came after some stuff happened that I did not expect. Before that, I was very confident about it all.
Reply 6
Original post by SomMC1
what exactly do you want to delete? As far as unis know, you have submitted nothing, so there is nothing to delete from that side.
You should've gotten references from a specific teacher who you know likes you most, not the one that hates you. So you should get a reference from the other teacher asap. you dont have to accept that teacher's reference and say you want the other one to write it for you.

Chances are you wont be considered equally to others, as you missed the official deadlines. this does, however, depends largely on the unis you are applying to, of course. so what unis are they??

your situation is a bit weird, pm me if you want to talk details privately.

Thanks, I'll pm you.
Original post by mina_01
Thanks for answering my question.

Now to answer your question, the second thoughts about this teacher completing my reference only came after some stuff happened that I did not expect. Before that, I was very confident about it all.

Sounds... odd. But, it would look unprofessional on the teacher and school to give out bad references. I really doubt it should be an issue. But I don’t know the circumstances. Best of luck getting your application done (the sooner the better 😬)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending