The Student Room Group

Help.

I'm trying to look for a path to become a marine biologist but I don't want to do six form and there is no local collages that would do this course. I'm not sure what I need to do to get straight to university or if I can.
Original post by mollyxmaexhanson
I'm trying to look for a path to become a marine biologist but I don't want to do six form and there is no local collages that would do this course. I'm not sure what I need to do to get straight to university or if I can.

What in marine biology do you want to do? In this field experience is everything but you will need things like a diving qualification and some kind of animal science/behaviour qualification.
Original post by alleycat393
What in marine biology do you want to do? In this field experience is everything but you will need things like a diving qualification and some kind of animal science/behaviour qualification.

i would like to work with dolphins and sharks.
i would like to work with dolphins and sharks.

Work as in conservation or research or what?
(Original post by alleycat393)Work as in conservation or research or what?
what do you mean
(Original post by alleycat393)Work as in conservation or research or what?
what do you mean

What kind of work do you want to do? Marine biology is a very broad field that covers a variety of jobs
What kind of work do you want to do? Marine biology is a very broad field that covers a variety of jobs

well does research pay well
well does research pay well

Right it sounds like you’re not quite sure what you want to do and want to follow the money. If you want to make big bucks neither marine biology nor research is for you. You need to first work out what you want to do and then work out what qualifications you need. Basically you need to do some research.

Ps:- you’re not going to be able to work in research without a degree and a Phd.
(edited 5 years ago)
Right it sounds like you’re not quite sure what you want to do and want to follow the money. If you want to make big bucks neither marine biology nor research is for you. You need to first work out what you want to do and then work out what qualifications you need. Basically you need to do some research.

All I know is I've had a passion for sharks since I was 5 years old and that all I want to do is work with them. That is what I want to do.
All I know is I've had a passion for sharks since I was 5 years old and that all I want to do is work with them. That is what I want to do.

Well you need to work out what’s realistic and possible in that field and what you need to get there. You cannot go to an employer and say that and expect a job without the right qualifications and experience.
Well you need to work out what’s realistic and possible in that field and what you need to get there. You cannot go to an employer and say that and expect a job without the right qualifications and experience.

thats what i made this thread for. a path, help thats what i need.
thats what i made this thread for. a path, help thats what i need.

Hun no one is going to do your research for you and if you can’t do it yourself you aren’t going to get anywhere. Start by googling marine biology and jobs. Good luck!
(Original post by alleycat393)Hun no one is going to do your research for you and if you can’t do it yourself you aren’t going to get anywhere. Start by googling marine biology and jobs. Good luck!

hun... done that already
(Original post by alleycat393)Hun no one is going to do your research for you and if you can’t do it yourself you aren’t going to get anywhere. Start by googling marine biology and jobs. Good luck!

hun... done that already

And yet you don't know what jobs in research or conservation are, what they pay and what requirements they have? Anyway, it's in your best interest to work it out whether you admit it on here or not is immaterial.
To reinforce what @alleycat393 says, you need to become clearer in yuour own mind what it is you want to do. "Working with sharks and dolphins" isn't a thing in itself. The obvious routes would be either care in a zoo or rehabilitation context, a conservation role (which could be field-based or as a lobbyist or policy maker), or research (which would usually involve going down an academic route).
Ruling out 6th Form schooling will severely limit your options, as nearly all employers require at least A Level qualifications and often at least a first degree. Even people who volunteer or do placements as guides on things like dolphin watching trips in the UK are often university students volunteering during their summer holiday.

Apartr from online research, you might consider visiting and talking with the staff at places like the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Centre in Scotland https://uk.whales.org/jobs or a Sea Life Centre https://www.visitsealife.com/birmingham/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending